The thread where you talk about non-metal music you like.

Ender Rises

Wass sappening?
Alright, so as evidenced by the Grunge thread, there are genres of music that people here listen to other than metal. There's not much discussion of this music though... so here we go! This is supposed to work just like The Thread Where You Talk About Music you Like in GMD, except it's a non-metal version, and if you couldn't figure that out by the title, you're a retard.

Awesome thread idea tbh Ender. I see a bright future for this.

I listened to a few Cocteau Twins albums over the weekend, and it was fucking amazing. I can see why people use terms such as "magic" and "the voice of God" to describe their music. Some of the most unique and transcendently beautiful stuff I've ever heard.

Also listened to the Prodigy's Music for the Jilted Generation today, which fucking rocks. I was afraid to try anymore of them after hearing The Fat of the Land, which largely sucked balls, but Jilted Generation definitely restored my faith in them. Very exciting electronica.

bach_shades.jpg

Over the past couple months I finally decided to start downloading music and have consequently gotten into a lot of non metal music. I've mainly focused on rap, beatdown hardcore and screamo.

As for rap I tend to like southern rap and Wu Tang and Wu Tang solo albums. I especially like UGK and Lil' Wayne.

For hardcore/screamo I am really liking bands like Six Ft Ditch and Envy.

i'm not that big on the cocteau twins but the prodigy i can get behind. used to love this one:

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yGbDvjKbPhA[/ame]

Threads like this are the reason people don't go to the non-metal forum.

Start going there.
No.
Awesome thread idea tbh Ender. I see a bright future for this.

Thank you.

There's no reason why this forum can't have a non-metal music thread, other than the existence of the non-metal forum, and there are people on here who don't go there and vice versa... I don't want to deal with a bunch of douchebags I don't know, I'd rather have a new, original discussion with the douchebags I do know.

let's see..

Been on a Magma kick again lately and that's gonna branch out into my other more 'different' prog I have like Island. I wish there were some Magma remasters with nice booklets, the only CD copies seem to be the first Seventh Records printings, from back in 1993. Magma is sort of like King Crimson mixed with John Coltrane mixed with Klingon opera (and oddly enough, that's not the lone Trek reference this post will have).

Bought 'Dandelion Gum' by Black Moth Super Rainbow from AQ and aside from the lame packaging I've been very much getting into the album. It literally sounds like drugs, candy, summer, and trees, but without being strictly gimmick. It's hard to explain.. you'll either catch the vibe or you won't. The songs are short and yet feel very completed and full of feeling, and the album seems to flow just how it should, without being too short. I also love all the old crazy analog keyboard and programming equipment used on it.

Used my Christmas Best Buy gift card to get Arcade Fire - Neon Bible and William Shatner - Has Been... I had only heard one song off the later and decided to be adventerous.. pretty good stuff... I can hear more potential than what is there, but there is a lot of good stuff there. Sort of indie rock mixed with chamber music mixed with American folk-rock..sort of. The male vocals are irritating on one or two songs and I wish there were some more extended instrumentals, but I highly enjoy most of the songs on there now.

The William Shatner album is also very good...it does contain the joking quality one would expect in a few songs, but also has some very serious ones, there is a lot of balance in mood and style on the album. It's very diverse in ways, but usually stays within the realm of hipster rock yet without the usual pretentiousness (because it's the Shat..any pretentiousness is goodness in that context). I hate Ben Folds and yet I enjoyed his production and writing on this album. Henry Rollins is on one song and it's slightly epic.

I really like modern prog rock like Paatos, Anekdoten and Porcupine Tree. I also like Portishead and would like to get into more trip-hop stuffs.

list time:
mad river
captain beyond
the cure
radiohead
gravenhurst
bjork
popol vuh
nobuo
discharge
arcade fire
the doors - s/t
cream
may blitz
elend
portishead
and also the trees
autechre
boston
dcd/lisa gerrard
loreena mckennitt
gun club
high tide
love
byrds
zombies
iron butterfly
jesus lizard
early offspring
early pentagram stuff
scorpions
rainbow
buffalo
blue cheer
sir lord baltimore
+ loads of old garage rock songs, mostly from comps

I really like modern prog rock like Paatos, Anekdoten and Porcupine Tree. I also like Portishead and would like to get into more trip-hop stuffs.

I heard some Portishead recently and kinda liked it. The atmosphere is really great, and the vocalist is fantastic, but the music does bore me from time to time.

I only heard Dummy. I'll have to try the s/t next. iirc my favorite song from Dummy was "Biscuit". Really hazy and trippy.

I listen to a shit load of non-metal...stuff like; CHick Corea, Joe Pass, Django, MIles DAvis, KMFDM, NIN, Tool, Brad Paisley ( lol?), Crystal Method, Infected Mushroom, Muse, Prince, Jedi Mind, Killah Priest,Portishead,Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes The Smalls, Dub Trio...tbh the list is endless.

My list is something like this:

Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, KMFDM, Antimatter, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever, Assemblage 23, VNV Nation, Neuroticfish... so basically... prog rock, fusion, and different electronic stuff are at the top.

Oh, and I pretty much have tons of man-love for Enigma, especially the newer stuff...the newer stuff isn't his most acclaimed, but it's his most accomplished and progressive and just moving in general.

Things you'll never ever catch me listening to: just about all rap, just about all country, and skinny British white-boy blues rock from the 70's that refers to women as 'mama'. If the rednecks in my family and friends' families would get down to it, it's on the blacklist.