The World Cup Thread

yeah, i mean croatia aren’t fun (well, they were against canada…) but they are organised and wily and there’s more to winning football games than the fancy samba shit. plus modric is one of the greatest players of my lifetime, i couldn’t begrudge the guy a world cup.

argentina france feels like the ‘correct’ final though, with the best two players in the comp. i’d quite like to see that assuming we don’t win today.

What I enjoy about them versus other tournament “underdogs” is that, while their sound defense is their backbone, they actually create exciting opportunities on the counterattack. A lot of soccer underdogs are a bore to watch, but Morocco create real chances. Aboukhlal easily could have had a second near the end, and there were several other good chances.

Reactions: rms

amazing game indeed. like an even better version of that argentina netherlands game in the quarters, i said to my mate at around 70 minutes 'reminder argentina did this in the quarters and then randomly conceded 2 goals' then it happened lol. absolute rollercoaster. messi deserves it though, best player of the tournament (unlike in 2014 when the golden ball he won was nonsense), really settled the messi vs. ronaldo debate once and for all this month i feel. it was great to see him battling against mbappe for the golden boot as well, mbappe will also go down as one of the greatest of all time--he's only four goals off the all-time world cup record... at 23 years old! he's not my favourite type of player by any means but he's one of the few players of my lifetime who makes my eyes pop out of my head with some of his freakish combinations of athleticism and skill. shoutout to another top 5 player of this generation bowing out with a very good tournament in luka modric.

i get that penalties are a bit of a cruel lottery, but they experimented with golden goal in the past and it didn't really work, just seemed to encourage really cagey boring football because teams were so scared of conceding.