Themes from William Blake's..

Firedwarf

sock puppet
Oct 14, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Am I the only one who is having serious problems getting into this album?

I dunno. I've had it for a while and have given it like..two GOOD listens and it's..really weird. I don't know what I think of it.

Any words of encouragement or something? ^^

Reactions: Nugent Goes AOL
Have no fear, Firedwarf. I'm in the same boat as you. I personally don't think that there's anything I don't get...I just find the CD to be a little too theatrical, over-the-top, and -- dare I say -- masturbatory. I love Ulver's stuff, and I do REALLY dig a few moments from this CD, but it's not my bag.

how I got into it (I rate it in my top 10 albums ever):
have it on in the background several times (from start to finish, both disks). After about the 7th time, then I seriously listened to it, reading the lyrics along with it. Bingo. I actually take this approach with most of the stuff I listen to (though I don't usually read the lyrics). It's fair to say I didn't really 'get' it until I'd read the lyrics, and saw how things related to what was going on in the music,

If you haven't gotten too familiar with it, then don't expect it to 'click' just yet.

i actually put it on in a room on my own (i was at uni so i had NOTHING to do) and i played the whole thing both cds start to finish.

i instantly thought it was incredible. HONESTLY!!

i was vaguely familiar with the text anyway and although i have reservations about ulver's interpretation i think it's and absolutely brilliant illustration and a wonderfully contoured piece of music. i am in awe of it!!

Well, the first few times I heard the album I didn't seem to be able to follow it from beginning to end. After a while I began listening to it more intently, and the more I listened to it, the more it captivated me. Especially after listening to the album while reading the poem I couldn't help but consider it a masterpiece. Right now, I consider this album as my all-time favorite and even now I keep discovering new things. Just keep listening it will grow on you...

Nugent Goes AOL said:
I just find the CD to be a little too theatrical, over-the-top, and -- dare I say -- masturbatory.
I will have to agree, but William Blake was a bit theatrical, over-the-top, and masturbatory as well, so I think it fits perfectly. :Spin:

Personally I love the album, but it is not the easiest to get into immediately, for the reasons Nugent Goes AOL mentioned. Give it a few more listens, read the poem, realize what a weirdo William Blake was, and enjoy it. If it's still not your thing, that's fine.

I bought The Marriage of Heaven and Hell w/ the fancy plates William Blake had, I have yet to view them while listening to the album though, I'm sure this would help someone to appreciate the album. I bought it for $5 at http://www.bn.com

The music on the cd is ok. But I always thought the vocals were awful. They don't sound natural at all, compared to garm's vocals on the more later releases. He used the same vocals on La Masquerade Infernale, but seemed to get away with it a bit better.