Traditional Metal

Immortal Soul or Unleash the Fire? I own the former and it has some good stuff on it, although I think that the production is annoying. I haven't listened to Unleash the Fire.

the latter. i haven't heard the former so i can't really compare. mygenerally trustworthy RYM friends seem to vary on preferring one or the other.

My favorite trad. metal song of recent years:

One of my favorite obscure finds, the vocals kinda suck but it's fucking ferocious.

The quintessential heavy metal album as far as I'm concerned:

I really like all 3 of these. Maybe the Argus one the most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've heard that Unleash the Fire was awesome. They are playing in Chicago here in a like a week but I'm probably going to pass to save money for Hell's Headbash.

Yeah, Irae Melanox is perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BJxVpQhWCQ

Fucking incredible, one of the best songs to come out of the 80s German power/speed metal scene.

Cool to see some Mephisto love, really overlooked band. I remember the first time I heard it, it was one of those shivers-the-whole-time this-will-be-an-eternal-favorite albums. That faded after two listens, but there's still some great stuff there. Adramelch fans should listen to them tbh; not as hyper-melodic or power metal-y, but they still have that kind of mournful post-Angel Witch speed/power thing going for them.

good stuff man, do tell what you think. it's a bit of a mess at times structurally speaking but so are their biggest influence (although i think they've moved away just a little from the FATE here) and there's a lot of magic there imo. reaction seemed to be pretty muted, which is bizarre to me given some of the mediocrities people go apeshit over these days.

I need that one myself, it simply must be an improvement on the debut so in that sense it's definitely worth getting I think.