Vessel - my solo project featuring Blaze Bayley

Just had another listen.

I'll admit my tastes have kinda been moving on from this sort of music in the last couple of years.
I've been really searching for a bit more melody than a lot of metal music offers, which is why I'm really loving Richie Kotzen lately.
I'm also totally loving getting deeper into the Motown sound... such memorable hooks and melodies.

Having said that, this is beyond cool man. It's got a very dirgy sound.... Wouldn't be out of place on Iced Earth's Horrow Show or Burnt Offerings!
I love the change in riffage in the chorus when he sings 'When I feel it coming undone'. When the guitars drop down in tone/key.
Who did the synth solo?

That's great how you got Blaze involved. Did you just send him the track without vocals and have him come up with a melody and lyrics
or did you send the complete song and he just sang it? Did he make any changes or suggestions? Was he happy with how it came out?

You have your finger pretty close to the pulse of my music Spruce lol. The intro and outro acoustics to the song were meant to be somewhat reminiscent of the intro and outro keys to Iced Earth's Burnt Offerings album. It is one of my all time favourites. As for the Horror Show reference, well the title Werewolf came a little bit after I actually wrote the song and it didn't have a title. I thought the Werewolf analogy to what I was saying was fairly appropriate and seamless. The problem is that it was such a good analogy, that I don't think anyone is going to realise that the song isn't actually about Werewolves at all lol.

The solo is played on guitar my friend! I think he is using a lot of chorus or something to get that sound, but it is most certainly the guitarist from Melbourne death metal band Ordnance. The vocalist from Ordnance is also supplying the backing vocals on this track. You can hear their EP on youtube here. It has a pretty nice gritty Swedish melodic death cross with The Black Dahlia Murder type of sound, but unfortunately it was recorded with their old drummer who was pretty weak.

I wrote everything for the cd (cover track withstanding) myself, with a bit of help from different people for each track here and there. On this track and one of the others, Mr Stonewall (who happens to be one of my best mates Ash) provided some help nutting out some of the melodies. Another track came about from a few riffs and ideas that Ash had had laying around for quite some time, which I thought were very strong and wanted to use to form a song. We wrote the lyrics to this one together. The other vocalist I used for the cd is another of my best mates, who also recorded and helped produce the cd, as well as contributing ideas to a couple of tracks. He and I recorded guide vocals to all the songs using our own melodies and sent them off to Blaze, who was quite happy to record his versions of what very closely resembled our guide tracks. He did make a few suggestions in the form of alternate takes in which we could simply choose which performance we wanted to use. A few of his ideas we kept, a few we didn't. He seemed quite happy with the project when he sent me back his takes, but I haven't heard from him since I gave him the final master last week. I will make contact again soon and see what he thinks, and see if he can shoot some links up on his FB and website once my bandcamp page is active.

Ah, great to see people getting into this. :)

It was fun doing a project and making a conscious effort in not fucking with the sounds too much, and basically just bringing out the original recording as you guys captured it so it was more of YOUR sound than me manufacturing anything. Also lots of fun ripping loose with the wah on the song I played on too - that's not something I do very often but it really suited the vibe of the song.

Pretty great response from the Blabbertrolls so far too - that's impressive! HAHA!

Has Blaze heard it yet? If so, what'd he think? (EDIT: Just re-read the last post, clearly not yet)

Hey guys, my bandcamp page has just gone live which features artwork, track listing and pre-order options if you are interested! All pre-order payments will go towards the pressing of cds and the printing of t-shirts, so please consider sending your money to lock in whichever format you prefer (cd, digital download, or both) and receive an instant download of debut track Werewolf in high quality audio, if you feel so inclined. Cheers!

http://thevesselproject.bandcamp.com/

Any of you guys had a listen to the full stream? I'd be interested in some more feedback if you have any! I haven't had any response from review sites or anything as yet, so pretty keen to hear some response.

Also, after posting out all the pre-orders I realised that the postage amount I had set for Aus was a little too high, and the amount I had set for international wasn't high enough, so I have adjusted them accordingly. Postage is now cheaper for you lot, and you also get the (what I think is) awesome bonus track. :D

I am currently sinking money into helping my club setup a Tattoo show on Australia day, if I survive, I will hit you up with an order early in Feb mate, shake my cage if I forget