What are you listening to?

First song streaming from Pillorian, John Haughms post-Agalloch band, over at Stereogum, and it's an interesting debut, both for the familiar and the unfamiliar elements. The end sounds like an Agalloch song, but the beginning is much more weighty and bleak than anything I've heard from Haughm before.

This definitely keeps Pillorian on my radar for the future.

It's probably me, but Pillorian kinda sounds like like a standard modern black metal. Not bad, but nothing to write home about. But not going to judge anything until the whole album is out, which I'm fairly excited for.

I'm okay with them sounding like ordinary modern black metal because I like the sound, but haven't liked a lot of the bands or the lyrical matter. I generally find Haughm thoughtful, and Pillorian can supplement the BM bands I do like, like Fen or WitTR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brell
To be honest, Haughm's lyrics are what is mainly attracting me to Pillorian at this point. It's not that I hate the sound or anything, it's solid and I like the production too, but it's nothing revolutionary and I've really become picky with my black metal. On the other hand, I'm happy that there is an obvious difference from Agalloch.

What probably has me worried most is that from what I can discern from "A Stygian Pyre" lyrics, it doesn't sound all that original. I could be wrong tho, and I hope that I am. As far as the lyrical matter goes, I guess Haughm is moving past the whole "nature" thing, since that would be backtracking. On the other hand, if this one turns out to be nothing more but fairly standard "verbose nihilism", that is going to be a dissappointment too.

But to be perfectly honest, I just simply doubt Haughm will ever be able to top Marrow of the Spirit. That beast was his zenith.

Reactions: Brell and tuonelan
Been busting out some old classics this week. Life Of Agony (RRR, & Ugly), Hypocrisy (The Arrival), and Dream Theater (Images, & Awake).

Reactions: tuonelan
Hypocrisy is some tasty stuff.

I've given Dream Theater many tries, but I just can't get into them (despite my love for prog). It's not any one thing, either. I think it's just that the things they love about prog and that inspire them musically are not the things that speak to me.

I checked out the new Kreator and liked what I heard. I'd buy it if I could listen through the whole album, but thrash turns into background music for me after the first three songs.

What I did finally buy is Cult of Luna and Julie Christmas. I'd passed it over initially because the places that were praising it most loudly were full of annoying scene hipsters. But when I did give it a full listen I immediately turned around and bought it. Really solid release.

I've given Dream Theater many tries, but I just can't get into them (despite my love for prog). It's not any one thing, either. I think it's just that the things they love about prog and that inspire them musically are not the things that speak to me.

I hear ya. I love their early stuff, but I kind of lost interest when Kevin Moore left the band. Jordan Rudess is an amazing keyboardist, but I think Kevin's style was a big part of what made those early albums so strong. They haven't been the same since then.

Sometimes I'm very annoyed for not hearing of a band earlier, Children of Nova is one of them. They've released an EP and a full-length, and have been on indefinite hiatus since 2013. Massive shame, because The Complexity of Light is one of the best EP's I've ever heard.

Last edited:
This album is such a masterpiece. This is one of those albums that no matter how many times you listen to it, you will always find new layers and details to it.

Seems like Enslaved have found someone to handle Herbrand's keyboard and vocal duties. Håkon Vinje, keyboardist with Seven Impale, played with them at the Garage in Bergen at the end of last month. No idea if this was a tryout or if he's going to be a touring or full member. Looks like he'll be a contributor for Hugsjá at the very least. Intriguing stuff, and I like Seven Impale's sound. Not Håkon on vocals, but you can hear how he'll fit with Enslaved's proggier side in his keyboard parts here:

Reactions: Eurynome and Brell
And for anyone that is nervous about Pillorian losing some of the magic that Agalloch had, it sounds to me like Fen has picked up the mantle for Atmospheric Black Metal on their latest release: