What are your 10 favorite record labels?

Relapse because they have great packaging and extras, and because they're bringing back Atheist.
Candlelight is pretty good.
Peaceville is good, but they only have a handful of bands, and I hate their crappy digipaks. Anyone who puts out digipaks loses points in my book.
Century Media and Earache are alright too.

MasterOLightning said:
Relapse because they have great packaging and extras, and because they're bringing back Atheist.
Candlelight is pretty good.
Peaceville is good, but they only have a handful of bands, and I hate their crappy digipaks. Anyone who puts out digipaks loses points in my book.
Century Media and Earache are alright too.
Relapse is beginning to have too much crappy metalcore.

Metalblade has released classic albums in the past but their current rooster is embarassing.

... don't feel like listing my favorite labels, not into full labels as a whole.

Late 80's and early 80's Roadrunner was amazing though. Most labels have more crappy bands than good ones.

i suppose almost every record label has a few high points:

Century Media: Behemoth, Bloodbath, Cryptopsy, Dark Tranquillity, Finntroll, Grave, Impaled, Krisiun, Nevermore, Rotting Christ....

Olympic: Incantation, Immolation, Internal Bleeding...

Rotten: Acid Bath, Goatwhore...

Nuclear Blast: Candlemass, Darkane, Dew-Scented, Dissection, Exodus, Hypocrisy, Lock Up, Meshuggah, Misery Index, Therion....

The End: Agalloch, Darkthrone(?), Epoch of Unlight Green Carnation....

Relapse: Alchemist, Buried Inside, Burnt By The Sun, Cephalic Carnage, Dying Fetus, High On Fire, Nile, Origin, Pig Destroyer, Soilent Green, Suffocation...

Season Of Mist: Anata, Destroyer 666, Gorguts, Nocturnus, Reverend Bizarre...

Earache/Wicked World/Elitist/Willowtip/Codebreaker: Arsis, The Berzerker, Carpharnaum, The Chasm, Circle of Dead Children, Decapitated....

Candlelight: Blut Aus Nord, Emperor, Mithras, Zyklon...

Metal Blade: Amon Amarth, The Crown, Primordial, Vader, Vehemence...

Noise: Bruce Dickinson, Dragonforce, Kreator....

Peaceville: Katatonia, My Dying Bride....

Unique Leader: Deeds of Fleash, Disavowed, Gorgasm, Internal Suffering, Psycroptic, Spawn of Possession, Vomit Remnants...

The Greys said:
Metalblade has released classic albums in the past but their current rooster is embarassing.

... don't feel like listing my favorite labels, not into full labels as a whole.

Late 80's and early 80's Roadrunner was amazing though. Most labels have more crappy bands than good ones.
Metalblade still has some good bands, though they still have some utter shit like Six Feet Under and As I Lay Dying. The fact that Primordial is now on Metal Blade is a big plus for them in my book.

Melodeath said:
I thought you didn't like Leviathan.

I don't like Xasthur. From what I've heard of Leviathan (The Tenth Sublevel Of Suicide), I do like.

I quite like the Swedish Leviathan, the US one is pretty awful in my experience although their Tentacles... album isn't supposed to be so bad.

What the fuck is the big thing with digipacks. Cry about it.

I really like Unique Leader most of the time. Even though the bands mainly sound the same, they are all pretty talented. Disavowed and Gorgasm are great bands...can't say I'm much of a Vile fan, though...

Also of note:

Macabre Mementos
Agonia
Relapse (when they're not ruining bands with their annoyingly sterile production)
Drakkar
Razorback
Moribund
Southern Lord
PsycheDOOMelic
Firebox/Firedoom
NOTHingness
Century Media (though they release almost exclusively terrible bands, signing Despised Icon and releasing what is easily their best material ever gets them points in my book)
Amputated Vein
Deep Send
Napalm

And probably a lot more.

Also, Leviathan's Tenth Suibleve... is a bit better than Tentacles... in my opinion. I don't really know why you don't like it, GoD...it seems sort of your style. Granted your taste is pretty goofy anyways, but whatever.

i dont really pay much attention to it although noevdia and drakkar seem to have a decent proportion of good bands

Yeah, Willowtip was my fave but now they're this superconglomo with Earache and the lot. Not complaining...I've got a lot of faves on them as well. I just liked it when Willowtip was this almost-secret.

Metal Blade's not bad, either. And Roadrunenr was nuts back in the day. Relapse is alright as well.

I agree w/ greys. The current metal blade roster is a fucking joke besides a handfull of decent bands. MB have been coming in, sweeping up the scene's garbage and releasing it for the past 2 years.

1. United Gutteral
2. Unique Leader
3. Malicious Intent
4. Brutal Bands
5. Unmatched Brutality
6. Sevared
7. Xtreem
8. Gorgiastic
9. Osmose
10. From Beyond