Rediscovery II
A Fool's Paradise
Dressed To Kill
Masquerade 98
Smoke and Mirrors
Absence of Light
Fallen
Winter's Dream II

its really hard to choose actually, some are more solid that others, theres a few songs id trade for others at times, but as a whole i pretty much like all of their songs. The only songs I actually dont like very much (not counting the stuff from their first album) is Pharoh, Egypt, Sea of Lies, and Witching Hour.

LOL man I found this post I made on the first page of this thread in 2002. Funny how much my tastes have changed since then. Heres an updated list reflecting how I feel at the moment plus with the 3 albums that didnt exist when I made the original list.

Rediscovery
A Fools Paradise
Communion and the Oracle
Of Sins and Shadows
Out of the Ashes
Candlelight Fantasia
Through the Looking Glass
The Edge of Forever
The Odyssey
Iconoclast

Rediscovery is my clear favorite and the rest arnt in any order. A lot of the songs could be switched for other ones since its hard to pick just 10, but this is how I feel at this given moment.

Also, I like Egypt a lot now and Sea of Lies is good song but im still not a fan of the Chorus. I still don't like Pharaoh and Witching Hour. I guess 9 years wasnt enough to save those 2 songs lol.

I saw them in May, it was the most epic concert I've ever been to. THEY CLOSED THE SHOW WITH THE ODYSSEY. Like I said. EPIC.

Heretic, Iconoclast, dehumanized, and The End of Innocence might be in my top 20, in addition to When All is Lost, in my top ten. When an album comes out from a band like Symphony X, that doesn't release a constant stream of music, it's harder to say which songs are my favorites. After a few years, the songs from Iconoclast will not stand out as much as they do for me now, for which reason I have judged them harshly for my lists.

Rediscovery is my clear favorite and the rest arnt in any order. A lot of the songs could be switched for other ones since its hard to pick just 10, but this is how I feel at this given moment.

I seem in the minority but I agree with you, Rediscovery Pt. II is in my top two tied with the Odyssey as for my favorite Symphony X songs.

Rediscovery and Odyssey are obviously totally different but are both so great. I would rank each of them about Divine Wings track any day.

I love Rediscovery, but to me, unless the rest of the album is heard before it, the song kind of loses its effect. It's like listening to Champion of Ithaca without listening to the 20 minutes that precede it.

That said, Communion is easily the most standout track from V for me.

Rediscovery part 1 (YES, PART 1)

A beautiful piece of music, for sure. My only complaint is that I wish it were longer!

On The Breath Of Poseidon is also a beautiful piece of music. I love the melody and how Rediscovery ends with it too. MJR's guitar work on Rediscovery could be the best I have ever heard, IMO.
Such incredible rhythms, fills, leads, etc... If I had to choose one song to have someone hear who had never heard SX, it would be Rediscovery. Both parts. Not to take anything away from any of their other songs either.:worship:

I love Rediscovery, but to me, unless the rest of the album is heard before it, the song kind of loses its effect. It's like listening to Champion of Ithaca without listening to the 20 minutes that precede it.

That said, Communion is easily the most standout track from V for me.

You are right about this, but I've listened to V so many times that Rediscovery can also be a stand alone song.

And I think I read that Communion is LePond's, Pinella's and Rullo's favorite song to play live.
I wish they would play it on the next tour.

1. Divine Wings

Everything else in no order:

Communion and the Oracle
Rediscovery
Edge of Forever
Awakenings
Set the World on Fire (I'm one of the few who liked PL a lot)
Revelation
The Accolade
Masquerade
Sea of Lies(live)

On The Breath Of Poseidon is also a beautiful piece of music. I love the melody and how Rediscovery ends with it too. MJR's guitar work on Rediscovery could be the best I have ever heard, IMO.
Such incredible rhythms, fills, leads, etc...

+1 :cry:

And I think I read that Communion is LePond's, Pinella's and Rullo's favorite song to play live.

I think it's also one of Romeo's favorite songs.

^
Its so short but man, what a great song. There is so much great music on V its ridiculous...I think it is by far the most consistent album they have put out with a maximum of 1 filler on it. So good..

On The Breath Of Poseidon is also a beautiful piece of music. I love the melody and how Rediscovery ends with it too...

It's one of my favourite melodies/progressions of all time! It's so great and unconventional. It creates a feeling that I link directly to V, and only V.

In no particular order:

1. Prelude
2. Evolution (The Grand Design)
3. Fallen
4. Transcendence (Segue)
5. Communion and the Oracle
6. The Bird-Serpent War/Cataclysm
7. On the Breath of Poseidon (Segue)
8. Egypt
9. The Death of Balance/Lacrymosa
10. Absence of Light

Honourable Mentions:

11. A Fool's Paradise
12. Rediscovery (Segue)
13. Rediscovery, Pt. 2: The New Mythology

It would certainly make sense due to the awesome rhythm section grooves and the loads of keyboards. I also think it contains more feeling than most of the band's other songs.

I wish they would play it on the next tour.

Me too! Drop Paradise Lost (it sounds like arena rock) and bring back Communion!

Oh my gosh yes! It would be awesome if they started playing Communion again. Eventually they'll miss it right?

V and Iconoclast have grown on me a lot. Now I'd say my top twenty (still can't just give ten) are:

1) The Odyssey
2) Awakenings
3) Light Up the Night
4) Eve of Seduction
5) Divine Wings of Tragedy
6) Rediscovery (part II if I had to choose, but I like listening to them together)
7) Through the Looking Glass
8) The Sacrifice
9) The Edge of Forever
10) Fallen
11) Revelation
12) The Walls of Babylon
13) Iconoclast
14) Dehumanized
15) When All is Lost
16) Bastards of the Machine
17) Children of a Faceless God
18) Reign in Madness
19) Wicked
20) The Accolade Part II

I'd say Paradise Lost, V, The Odyssey, and Iconoclast are all A+ albums.

1. Edge of Forever- Just so hauntingly beautiful. Damnation Game is actually my favorite SymX album and maybe my favorite of all time. The "draped in a silken glow of moonlight" part brings tears to my eyes every time, and it's so hard not to sing along to that epic chorus. The only bad thing about it is the ugly guitar chords that come around after the "but there's no one there". Also, at the end, I can't tell whether he's saying "MY LOVE LIIIIIIVE AGAAAAAAIN" or "MY LOVE NEEEEVER DIIIIIES". Anyone know?
2. Evolution (The Grand Design)- That opening riff gets me every time. Not too much going on in the verse, but the prechorus and chorus are two of SymX's most powerful yet. Plus, the background vocals at the end are impossibly great
3. Lady of the Snow- The Japanese feel at the beginning is a little bit gimmicky and uncreative, but Russ's vocals redeem it all by being so amazing. The "Caaaaaptured....by the light of moon" part is just too amazing. The bassline is a little boring, but all in all, it's just too haunting and beautiful to pass up. Twilight in Olympus, being sandwiched between Divine Wings of Tragedy and V, gets way underrated (I actually like it better than Divine Wings but that's just my opinion). Church of the Machine almost made it on here, but there's some pretty stiff competition
4. Egypt- Probably Russ's best vocal performance. The "RIIIIIIIIISE MY MINIONS" section is so amazing words can barely describe it, and the bass solo that precedes it is nearly as great. I love the twist in the lyrics around the last chorus. Also a great keyboard song, especially the little part at the end. All in all, has some of the greatest performances from everyone but Michael Romeo. But every other SymX song is basically a way for him to show off his (undeniably awesome) shredding skills. I'm going with this one for the awesome chorus.
5. The Haunting- Here's a dark horse. Again, Damnation Game is my favorite album, and you can't beat the energy in this one. It was a close decision between "As the knife cuts to the vein, am I going insane? have I lost my mind?" and "arrival dressed to kill, it's a TRAGEEEDY! Could you feel sympathy or PAIN?" but I'm going with this one because the guitar riff is so much more creative than the boring 3/4 one in Dressed to Kill, and besides, the bridge is delightfully evil.
6. Domination- Good one for when I'm pissed off. The opening bass, the mosh-worthy guitar riffs, and the killer, if not standard Russ, vocals all contribute to this awesome motherfucker of a song. First song of their's I ever heard, and I immediately fell in love. I thought Paradise Lost was the best album I ever heard, but then I heard the rest. Just saying that Domination is probably their heaviest and can still incite me to headbang no matter how sad I am.
7. The Odyssey- This, of course. Way too much to take in in one listen, but I remember how well the piano part in Circe and the energy in Sirens stuck with me. I love The Odyssey (the book), so it makes sense that I love this and its epic orchestration. Of course, the music is far more impressive than the lyrics (long ago a legend spoke of a beast? ummmmm...no it didn't). Plus, why would you skip the Cicones, Lotus-Eaters, and Laestrygonians. And Aeolus's bag of winds was referenced in one line. ONE LINE! Still, awesome music and the guitar lead to the tune of Champion of Ithaca is pretty sick.
8. Paradise Lost- 3rd ballad on the list, but I really couldn't help myself. I think it's in 25/8 or something like that, but who gives a shit? It sounds awesome. Whereas Winter's Dream Prelude seems a little hacky and poppy, and Communion and the Oracle is a little bit jarring, this one just flows perfectly from beginning to end. The buildup of emotion, released every time he says the word "Paradise" does something I never thought possible - bring interest to biblical stories. Honestly, the guitar in the beginning seems a tad out of place, but it doesn't detract from the overall awesomeness.
9. Smoke and Mirrors- Love the bassline on this. I love Lepond, but Thomas Miller is still a genius (I actually think Michael Romeo wrote the line, idk). Plus, everything about this is new and original from a SymX standpoint. Of course, they've duplicated the sound of the bridge and prechorus a billion times by now, but it was so fresh and well-performed. I really wanted to put King of Terrors or the Turning on this list, but I think Smoke and Mirrors just has more going on overall.
10. Whispers- I'm prepared to argue with anyone who believes Whispers doesn't belong on this list. I won't fight them though, because they clearly don't have a heart. The harmonies may be schmaltzy (betcha didn't expect that word on a Symphony X forum), but Russ's vocals are too true. It may be a love ballad, but it's the most kickass love ballad ever.
Honorable Mention: Fallen- I wanted to put this on the list mostly because of the "VENGEANCE BY MY HAAAAAAAAND" right before the powerful chorus. Plus, the chorus riff is awesome. The only complaint I have is the gimmicky vocals in the "Thousands now join as one, be afraid" part.

Yeah, that's right, nothing off Divine Wings. Fight me.

Mine would probably be like this.

1. Communion and the Oracle - the ultimate peak of excellence and perfection.

2. The Sacrifice

3. The Accolade

4. In a winter's dream prelude

5. Iconoclast(The song, not album)

6. Bastards of the Machine

7. Heretic

8. Taunting the Notorious

9. A Lesson before dying

10. Church of the Machine

1- The Accolade
2- The Edge of Forever
3- Iconoclast
4- Communion and the Oracle
5- Awakenings
6- Lady of the Snow
7- Fallen
8- The Odyssey
9- Candlelight Fantasia
10- Rediscovery - Part I and II (They are both great, and part I is a great intro the the second)