2- The Edge of Forever
3- Iconoclast
4- Communion and the Oracle
5- Awakenings
6- Lady of the Snow
7- Fallen
8- The Odyssey
9- Candlelight Fantasia
10- Rediscovery - Part I and II (They are both great, and part I is a great intro the the second)
Nice choices friend :)

Do you also like me find Accolade and Communion as relexing songs?'

Nice choices friend :)

Do you also like me find Accolade and Communion as relexing songs?'

Wouldn't prefer the word "relaxing", but i got what you meant. Accolade is a spiritually calming, imaginative song; Communion and the Oracle has an incredibly mystic and soothing timbre. (For me)

1 Seven.
Love this track and the solos. The last 20 second solo takes the song to exactly 7 minutes, hence the title I guess.

2 A Fool's Paradise

3 Evolution

4 Underworld

5 Paradise Lost

6 When All Is Lost

7 Legend

8 Of Sins and Shadows

9 Accolade 2

10 Light Up The Night

If I write this list again tomorrow the order would probably change but the same 10 would feature

In no particular order:

Underworld
Charon
Kiss of Fire
Masquerade
Out of the Ashes
Awakenings
Fool's Paradise
King of Terrors
The Odyssey
Through the Looking Glass

Honorable mentions:

Damnation Game
Candlelight Fantasia
Electric Messiah
Incantations of the Apprentice
Accolade II
Domination
The Sacrifice
Smoke and Mirrors
In the Dragon's Den
To Hell and Back
Swan Song
Legend
Evolution
Fallen
Communion and the Oracle
The Edge of Forever

The Edge of Forever

The Accolade I and II

Through the Looking glass/Communion and the Oracle

Egypt

The Turning

Awakenings (my favourite SyX song)

The Odyssey/ Divine Wings

The Walls of Babylon

When All Is Lost

In My Darkest Hour/Charon

damn, its really hard to pick only 10 songs, i failed :p

1). The Odyssey
2). Of Sins And Shadows
3). Eve of Seduction
4). Out of the Ashes
5). Smoke and Mirrors
6). Run With The Devil
7). Wicked
8). Dressed to Kill
9). Candlelight Fantasia
10). Accolade 2

Still can't come up with 10, but my top 8 in no particular order:

Rediscovery
Fallen
Communion
Awakenings
Frontiers
Revelation
Legend
The Odyssey

Mine would be:

1. Odyssey (my all time favourite song, closely followed by A change of seasons from DT)
2. The Edge of Forever (This is why Pinella is my favourite pianist)
3. Lady of the snow (most haunting song ever?)
4. The Accolade II (haunting, beautiful piano.. again :D)
5. When All is Lost (the piano, and Russell's melodies + the first melodic guitar solo... sends shivers down my spine every time)
6. Church of the Machine (Pinella again.. and the amazing chorus!!)
7. The Sacrifice (best.. vocal performance.. EVER!! Seriously, the second verse is SO intense with Allen's vibrato, really breathtaking!!)
8. A Fool's Paradise (Everything clicks well together here, great riffs, and another amazing prechorus+chorus)
9. Awakenings (So epic, in less than 10 minutes.. and again Pinella is my f*cking hero..)
10. Paradise Lost (modern classic.. The clean riff leading to the outro/ad lib choruses and Russell's voice before that is such a great climax to a beautiful, heartbreaking song)

As you can guess, my favourite part about SX is the piano parts by Pinella, which is why I miss the haunting, mystic approach to their ballads instead of clean guitars leading the songs (Swan Song is still pretty good, love the 3 minute mark with only Pinella and Russell)

Interesting, I'd have to give the "haunting" piano factor to Swan Song. In fact, it's no contest in my mind.

The Divine Wings of Tragedy
The Odyssey
Communion and the Oracle
Rediscovery
Accolade II
Awakenings
The Edge of Forever
Candlelight Fantasia
The Walls of Babylon

As you can guess, my favourite part about SX is the piano parts by Pinella, which is why I miss the haunting, mystic approach to their ballads instead of clean guitars leading the songs

I love them, too. The piano is what sets them apart from other metal bands, and unfortunately, Pinnella only seems to use it on ballads anymore.

That Walls of Babylon is an interesting touch on your top 10, Detective. Care to elaborate on that a bit? I'm curious.

Babylon was the first song upon my first listen of Paradise Lost that made my jaw hit the floor and go "holy shit." The instrumental 3-minute intro is a large part of the wow factor, especially on an album that was more straightforward than its predecessors. It's just a cool song, and it really emphasizes what makes Symphony X great - sweet riffs, epic choral sections, and blazing lead work. I tend to prefer their longer, more "epic" compositions, but their last three albums haven't had anything near the caliber of the other songs on my top 10 list.

I thought you really liked Candlelight and Edge, too? Also surprised to not see the obligatory DWOT.

Nah, those songs are in my great tier, but not in the excellent tier. To be honest, I might like Underworld more than DWoT. It has a lot of great songs: Out of the Ashes, The Accolade, Pharaoh, Eyes of Medusa, Divine Wings, Candlelight Fantasia. The title track is really good, but I've never really been able to get a good grasp on it like I can with The Odyssey. Candlelight is also really good, like a precursor to Awakenings (and it has that awesome panned clean thing that they also used in The Odyssey and Dehumanized and need to use more because it sounds so cool), but the chorus gets a bit meandery and the song doesn't have a convincing ending.

Edge of Forever is a really good track too, but lacks the punch I like (probably only due to the production, which is too bad for me). On Damnation Game, A Winter's Dream is just as good. I also quite like Dressed to Kill and The Haunting off that album. Dressed to Kill would be cool to see make a return to live setlists.

I have the same problem with Divine Wings as a song. It's cool, but there is too much repetition for my taste, and I also can't seem to wrap my head around the piece as a whole. Even Rediscovery, another song that's not up there for me, is much more unravelable for me. Looking Glass and Odyssey suffer from neither of these issues. It's possible I might even like Winters Dream on par with Rediscovery and thus more than Dwot.

At the end of the day though, I have to listen to Dwot once every few weeks just because it is so unique. iconic and has a lot of great parts.

Adam, the "panned clean thing" you're referring to in Candlelight Fantasia and The Odyssey is Romeo using a delay pedal, which essentially makes it sound like he's playing more notes and at twice the speed than he actually is. And I agree - it sounds awesome!

I'm pretty sure it's the keyboard in Dehumanized, though.

The part behind the solo starting at 4:53 is what I'm talking about in Dehumanized. I suppose it could be keyboard, but it sounds awfully similar to the same effect in the other two songs.

I can't put a number 1, so I'll put 10 of them...

The Edge of Forever
Candlelight Fantasia
TDWOT
Rediscovery
Accolade II
Awakenings
Seven
Revelation
When all is Lost

The part behind the solo starting at 4:53 is what I'm talking about in Dehumanized. I suppose it could be keyboard, but it sounds awfully similar to the same effect in the other two songs.

After listening again, I think you're right. The section is in 7/4 but he plays in 7/8, making this already complicated section even more so! I guess it was harder for me to hear due to the solo being over it, as opposed to the verses in the other two songs.