What is it that you don't like about new In Flames?

My friend think that they are very mainstream now and do music for 13-14 years old children, emos and that kind of stuff. I asked my friend why do you think like that? He said listen Come Clarity. :) I think they have more emotional, melancholic and deep songs in their new stuff.
Well lol, is it weird, talking about the ballad of the album? You could call In Flames something totally different if you would judge them on Everlost Pt. 2 as well, couldn't you? =)

I'm sorry to burst the bubble, but if your friend thinks that IF write their music to appeal to 13-14 emo kids, he's not only very wrong, he's blatantly retarded.
Are they more melodic rather than aggressive in general nowadays? Yes, obviously. Although they are at times more aggressive than the old days as well. But in general they've dropped some aggression for melody even though their basic formula of writing music has stayed the same since the very start. It all has to do with them being tired of doing the same thing over and over again.
I read an interview with Fredrik Nordström recently, reading:
I know that In Flames wanted to change styles much, much earlier than they actually did. Around the third album, they wanted to stop using the melodic guitar harmonies. I was the guy saying, “no, no, we have to keep the melodies. We have to do the harmonies.” “No! We are so bored of harmonies!” (Nordström now takes an authoritarian tone) “You have a responsibility to your fans! And they are expecting this stuff.” But they toured their asses off and have had very good success; and of course they should have it. But I wish they had stayed in the same lane, and that may have given them much more success.

Well lol, is it weird, talking about the ballad of the album? You could call In Flames something totally different if you would judge them on Everlost Pt. 2 as well, couldn't you? =)

I'm sorry to burst the bubble, but if your friend thinks that IF write their music to appeal to 13-14 emo kids, he's not only very wrong, he's blatantly retarded.
Are they more melodic rather than aggressive in general nowadays? Yes, obviously. Although they are at times more aggressive than the old days as well. But in general they've dropped some aggression for melody even though their basic formula of writing music has stayed the same since the very start. It all has to do with them being tired of doing the same thing over and over again.
I read an interview with Fredrik Nordström recently, reading:
I know that In Flames wanted to change styles much, much earlier than they actually did. Around the third album, they wanted to stop using the melodic guitar harmonies. I was the guy saying, “no, no, we have to keep the melodies. We have to do the harmonies.” “No! We are so bored of harmonies!” (Nordström now takes an authoritarian tone) “You have a responsibility to your fans! And they are expecting this stuff.” But they toured their asses off and have had very good success; and of course they should have it. But I wish they had stayed in the same lane, and that may have given them much more success.

LOL at In Flames being more melodic now. More metalcore than before, meaning whiny "OOOOH I FEEL LIKE SHIIIIIT BUT ATLEAST I FEEEEEL SOMETHING" I agree with that but Jester Race IS melodical.
I dont see Liberation as melodic. It sounds like post-grunge bullshit and it's not even a good post-grunge. Give me some Jotun, Episode 666, Moonshield and December flower anyday. I watched some videos on youtube like them playing in Rock am Ring or somewhere and the crowd looked like 12 year old kids who's balls havent dropped yet.
In Flames HAS progressed. From Jester Race to Clayman. It was successful and old/new fans love it.

Their new albums are just different in subject matter, where they talk about more personal shit, Clayman did the same thing too. Their new stuff is just rehashing and rehashing.

LOL at In Flames being more melodic now. More metalcore than before, meaning whiny "OOOOH I FEEL LIKE SHIIIIIT BUT ATLEAST I FEEEEEL SOMETHING" I agree with that but Jester Race IS melodical.
I dont see Liberation as melodic. It sounds like post-grunge bullshit and it's not even a good post-grunge. Give me some Jotun, Episode 666, Moonshield and December flower anyday. I watched some videos on youtube like them playing in Rock am Ring or somewhere and the crowd looked like 12 year old kids who's balls havent dropped yet.
In Flames HAS progressed. From Jester Race to Clayman. It was successful and old/new fans love it.

Their new albums are just different in subject matter, where they talk about more personal shit, Clayman did the same thing too. Their new stuff is just rehashing and rehashing.

All IF music is melodic. They use less harmonies now, but are still at least just as melodic as they were in the old days. In fact, they are more melodic in general. Just because Liberation might not be melodic doesn't mean they aren't as melodic anymore. It's one song. Not all new fans love pre-R2R IF actually. And who's to say their progression from Reroute to SOAPF isn't successful? If you look at their sales and everything, they continue to gain more success, so...

As for different subject matter; Clayman was very similar in lyrical matter to Soundtrack, just written in a different style (for better or worse is up to you). I'm guessing you say anything post-Clayman is new IF so let's look at all those albums' lyrical matter. Reroute - very much about society and written to speak to the listener; not about the author, and is also pretty positive. STYE - very personal like Clayman, but written differently. CC - some personal, but largely societal again, kind of like Whoracle and Colony (see Dead End, Vacuum). ASOP - what you said. SOAPF - largely back to us as a society.

So I really don't see where any of your "points" are true or close to valid.

All IF music is melodic. They use less harmonies now, but are still at least just as melodic as they were in the old days. In fact, they are more melodic in general. Just because Liberation might not be melodic doesn't mean they aren't as melodic anymore. It's one song. Not all new fans love pre-R2R IF actually. And who's to say their progression from Reroute to SOAPF isn't successful? If you look at their sales and everything, they continue to gain more success, so...

As for different subject matter; Clayman was very similar in lyrical matter to Soundtrack, just written in a different style (for better or worse is up to you). I'm guessing you say anything post-Clayman is new IF so let's look at all those albums' lyrical matter. Reroute - very much about society and written to speak to the listener; not about the author, and is also pretty positive. STYE - very personal like Clayman, but written differently. CC - some personal, but largely societal again, kind of like Whoracle and Colony (see Dead End, Vacuum). ASOP - what you said. SOAPF - largely back to us as a society.

So I really don't see where any of your "points" are true or close to valid.

Pre-Clayman is much more melodic and its not even comparable. More guitar harmonies, actual keyboards and more complex rhythm. Like Jester's Dance is nothing but pure melodic epicness. I havent heard their newer stuff sounding anywhere near that. Im sure a lot of newer fans also love Clayman since Only For The Weak is IF's signature song and they play every gig. I dont necessarily mean 'successful' as having more sales, thats pretty obvious because they're more mainstream now. I meant their transition from original sound to new innovative songwriting with creative musicianship and adding some modern sense and still, what makes them "In Flames". It's pretty successful because they progressed very nicely and many of the older IF fans could just pick it up and get right into it. I consider Clayman to be the ultimate melodeath.

For example, Metallica progressed from Kill Em All to Black Album. Each had uniqueness to them. After that it was lame and they should've quit. Album like St. Anger are just... :yuk:

What I mean by subject matter, the newer stuff sound a lot similar. More introspective, like looking at the world in first person. Their old stuff dealt with mankind, astrology, mythical world, etc.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbzUj916bEc&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]

Argument destroyed, somewhat.

Both sides have melodies. I like format of old In Flames' melodies better than their new format, they always spat out the best melodies that pretty much was their own signature and style.

@zerkz

So you destroy violentrl argument by presenting probably the most "old IF" song in 2001-2011 era?

If RTR, STYE, CC, ASOP sounded anything like A New Dawn...we wouldn't even have this perpetual old IF vs new IF argument.

OK guys, I surrender!

Obviously, stuff like this:

is the same, and even more melodic then shitty ol' stuff like this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObTDvMUMgr4&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
You should have known better than to besmirch the name of In Flames in the presence of Krofius, A88. Shame on you :D

Hey man, don't tell me. Tell my ghost. Cause I blame him... (ASOP has a number of shitty, yet very useful lines) :)

Yes, for comedy/trolling lines ASOP does indeed have a number of useful lyrics. I guess it isn't completely worthless after all :D

lol, wtf?
Pre-Clayman is much more melodic and its not even comparable. More guitar harmonies, actual keyboards and more complex rhythm. Like Jester's Dance is nothing but pure melodic epicness. I havent heard their newer stuff sounding anywhere near that. Im sure a lot of newer fans also love Clayman since Only For The Weak is IF's signature song and they play every gig. I dont necessarily mean 'successful' as having more sales, thats pretty obvious because they're more mainstream now. I meant their transition from original sound to new innovative songwriting with creative musicianship and adding some modern sense and still, what makes them "In Flames". It's pretty successful because they progressed very nicely and many of the older IF fans could just pick it up and get right into it. I consider Clayman to be the ultimate melodeath.

For example, Metallica progressed from Kill Em All to Black Album. Each had uniqueness to them. After that it was lame and they should've quit. Album like St. Anger are just... :yuk:

What I mean by subject matter, the newer stuff sound a lot similar. More introspective, like looking at the world in first person. Their old stuff dealt with mankind, astrology, mythical world, etc.
wtf?
It's not rare that I call people retarded, I know, it's my favorite word, but this time I really mean it. Just wow, how do you even manage to get past one day in life in general, it must be hard?

I find it most amusing that you say that IF is just rehashing themselves, since the change between the albums R2R-SOAPF is greater than the change between TJR-Clayman.

Where you even around at the time IF released all those old albums? I doubt it, cause all old fans didn't love it, many didn't even like it. They got A LOT of shit when they released TJR, but I guess you didn't know that or you've suppressed that. They've gotten a lot of shit each time they release a album, and they're used to it. The good question is why I'm even spending 2minutes replying to you, it's almost an embarrassing waste of time.

lol, wtf?

wtf?
It's not rare that I call people retarded, I know, it's my favorite word, but this time I really mean it. Just wow, how do you even manage to get past one day in life in general, it must be hard?

I find it most amusing that you say that IF is just rehashing themselves, since the change between the albums R2R-SOAPF is greater than the change between TJR-Clayman.

Where you even around at the time IF released all those old albums? I doubt it, cause all old fans didn't love it, many didn't even like it. They got A LOT of shit when they released TJR, but I guess you didn't know that or you've suppressed that. They've gotten a lot of shit each time they release a album, and they're used to it. The good question is why I'm even spending 2minutes replying to you, it's almost an embarrassing waste of time.

Krofius is on the attack :D

s33hx4.gif

You're wrong about one thing though, they didn't get "A LOT of shit" when they released TJR :D most people didn't even know they existed. They got a lot of shit when they released Colony and then Clayman. Even though both albums were fucking awesome, I guess people saw where their music was going.

Love the old vs new In Flames debates.... they never end :D people will be debating this until the Earth explodes.

What is the meaning of life?

Who killed Kennedy?

Why Arsen Wenger won't buy a decent GK and CB?

Old IF VS New IF...

Life, my friends, is a mystery! :D

Scooby-Doo-tv-07.jpg

Again, not similar. Look at my last post. Each album is just as different lyrically as the old ones. Also, the only introspective new album is ASOP. Introspective means to look at one's inner-problems and thoughts. CC was pretty similar to Colony and Whoracle how it was about our society as a whole.

lol, wtf?

Yes, basically IF went from melodeath to metalcore.

wtf?
Could you clarify? What I said is true, unless you explain otherwise.
Nope. New IF consists of chugga chugga riff chords in their songs, basically incorporating more alternative sound and I dont find their new stuff very melodic, is there something wrong with that???

Im not saying all, but I would say most TJR fans tend to enjoy colony/clayman than ASOP, which is a FACT. Even if they've gotten shit, they've progressed each album up to Clayman and it was gradual. Eventually it's a great melodeath album, their newer albums aren't even melodeath anymore. Albums like Soundtrack are still hated and forgettable.