what mic are you loving for vox?

Incognito Man

Jan 27, 2009
i have a se audio z5600a and i put a nos tube in it and its dam sweet for the price. id say it is on par with my old soundelux u195.

im interested in what you guys are lovin on vox

anyone using any of the heil large dynamics? id love to try one of those.

i like a standard sm 58's because everyone is generally accustomed to singing into one, their not too bright or too sensitive and heck they sound great. industry standard.

i heard before dave grohl was in studio and they set him up a bunch of mics to try out, mostly expensive as fuck sennheiser's etc and he just wasn't happy so he asked them to just plug in his gigging 58 and he found its tonality to be perfect.

although every singer is different i guess.

i had a sm7b and i didnt gel with it. it wasnt bad, it just didnt do anything for me. some singers had a hard time "working" it too. id love to try a ldd that has the characteristics of a ldc if such a thing exists. i would be interested in the heil stuff.

the best sounding mic for vox to my ears is a u87.

wouldnt a 57 sound similar on vox to a sm7b?

i have a 58 coming and that is the exact reason i wanted it, some singers just sound better on a 58 then a u47 or u87.

dynamic sm7b
condenser vintage neumann u87ai i have owned 3 new 87's and none come close...got it for $1000 on craigslist sold the other..............

elam251 if i could accord one in a heartbeat best microphone i have ever heard by far, but there like 30 g's

I find unless you're going for that "live" sound, a 58 just doesn't have enough top end,.. and can be pretty dark depending on the singer.

I prefer the larger condenser mics are better for vocals. Not had a proper experience with sm7b yet though,.. next mic on the list though!

Yeah, although I have no choice a lot of the time, I don't love the SM58 for studio vocals, it comes off sounding cloudy very often.

Joe

the mics arent mine, they belong to the studio i work at but i get the benifet of using them on all my projects without having to pay a cent for them!

the u47 is just fucking amazing.

I'm really enjoying my Mojave MA-201 fet. Especially great on female vocals, although I've had good success on male vox as well.