what mic are you loving for vox?

This thing SLAYS, very detailed:

18614ei0.jpg

I use an AKG soildtube. I think it sounds much better then the sm7b.
But when im lazy i use the sm7b.

I don't love any of the mics I own at the moment for vocals. The sm57/58's never sound fantastic, only ok- they seem dull and even if the take was good and full of life the recorded one just lacks something. That said I had 1 guy who sounded really good with one- kinda hetfieldy bark on him that suited it.
I did a shoot out in college between a load of mics on a kinda softer male vocal, it was a cover of Rise by Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam from the "Into the Wild" sound track.
Rode classic 2, Akg C414, U 87 , EV re-20 even through an nt-5 into the equation, I'd used a T bone Ribbon mic and a 58 on the same guy before so knew the 58 didn't suit him and that the T bone Ribbon was nice but lacked the high end that condensers have.
The Akg stood head and shoulders above the rest in Hyper Cardoid mode, instantly when he started singing it just sounded better than all the others did. The U87 was next up then proabably the EV. I wasn't mad about the Rode classic 2 but the NT-5 would have been sweet on backing vocals but wasn't quite there for lead.

The next mic on my own list is definately the AKG, they're not crazy expensive and I was just blown away by it, I sorely need a really nice vocal mic plus the fact it's so versatile and sweet on so many things it's really a no brainer.

Yeah, I've found ribbons to be hideously muffled sounding on vox, but I've been told they take eq (specifically boosting the highs) really well...

Yeah, I've found ribbons to be hideously muffled sounding on vox, but I've been told they take eq (specifically boosting the highs) really well...

Muffled yeah but there's a really nice warm quality to them too. With the mics that I currently own I like to use a 58/57 in conjunction with the ribbon mic on vox, dual mic it. That way you get the nice warm quality of the ribbon mic and the high end of the 57/58. Gotta try it with the ribbon and one of the oktava SDC's I just got it'll probably be better and more detailed.

The next mic on my own list is definately the AKG, they're not crazy expensive and I was just blown away by it, I sorely need a really nice vocal mic plus the fact it's so versatile and sweet on so many things it's really a no brainer.
Ah, the relativity of money :lol:

I'm considering the Red5 RV10s as C414 substitutes.

Ah, the relativity of money :lol:

I'm considering the Red5 RV10s as C414 substitutes.

God i'm poor as hell, but considering you can find a used c414 for about a fifth or 6th the price of a new u87 if not a little better they're decently affordable. when i et one it'll be by far the most expensive mic i'll own!

the mics arent mine, they belong to the studio i work at but i get the benefit of using them on all my projects without having to pay a cent for them!

the u47 is just fucking amazing.

AHA! Come talk to me when you a have a few in your own mic locker! :p

BTW, where are you working out of? Metalworks? Phase 1? I'm thinking "larger T.O. studio" by the mic description... Somewhere I haven't heard of? (I'm in Windsor, btw.)

The next mic on my own list is definitely the AKG, they're not crazy expensive and I was just blown away by it, I sorely need a really nice vocal mic plus the fact it's so versatile and sweet on so many things it's really a no brainer.

I want a pair of these... you're absolutely right: They're amazingly versatile.

AHA! Come talk to me when you a have a few in your own mic locker! :p

BTW, where are you working out of? Metalworks? Phase 1? I'm thinking "larger T.O. studio" by the mic description... Somewhere I haven't heard of? (I'm in Windsor, btw.)

well oz, i will never be able to talk to you then cause i will never have a mic locker with those in it LOL!

i work out of tempermill studios in ferndale. i remember when you recorded my friends band facedown years ago. i think you might have recorded another band i know called counterfeit. remember a place called basement studio over there?

God i'm poor as hell, but considering you can find a used c414 for about a fifth or 6th the price of a new u87 if not a little better they're decently affordable. when i et one it'll be by far the most expensive mic i'll own!

Heh. A u87 is something I wouldn't even consider due to price (plus I'm a bit skeptical after hearing how the newer ones are not the same as the vintage ones)

I would love some C414s, but the Red5 RV10s are also multi-pattern LDCs, and Dan Richards rated them right below the C414s as drum overheads. Only one guy's opinion, but it's pretty glowing. Plus, you can get a pair new for $490

http://www.red5audiousa.com/

Those RV10s recently (within the last 6 months) dropped in price

You can google for reviews, or just talk to me on msn :lol:
They also have links to reviews

The dudes at Red5 are really nice. I've called them a few times, and I think it was Craig who I talked to each time. He offered me a deal on the RV10s, and they sent me some mic specs when I asked.
I've got the RVK7 drum mic kit, which was really incredible value for $300.

www.red5audio.com has more info not listed on red5audiousa

I have the M-audio Sputnik on my list, currently using an AT3035 but it's hard to tell how good it really is without decent room treatment/iso booth.

well oz, i will never be able to talk to you then cause i will never have a mic locker with those in it LOL!

i work out of tempermill studios in ferndale. i remember when you recorded my friends band facedown years ago. i think you might have recorded another band i know called counterfeit. remember a place called basement studio over there?

Didn't do counterfeit... but I do know the Tempermill.... Nice place!