Would this be a good start for a beginner?

AHHH A BASS PLAYER!!

New Metal Member
Aug 2, 2006
Well I just started to play bass around 2 weeks ago and I can already play Nirvana "In Bloom" all the way and Opeth "To rid the Disease"

Would this be good so far for a beginner??

It's not what you play but how you play it. I very much doubt you would be able to play both those songs perfectly from start to finish in time and without accompaniment but if you can then that is a very good achievement indeed!

IamReptar said:
Well "To Rid the Disease" is not very hard. A great sounding bassline...but not hard.
I don't even recall the bass line off the top of my head, but if it's simple it's definitely the kind of stuff he should be starting out with

AHHH A BASS PLAYER!! said:
Well I just started to play bass around 2 weeks ago and I can already play Nirvana "In Bloom" all the way and Opeth "To rid the Disease"

Would this be good so far for a beginner??
so yes, and remember to always be patient with yourself and your ability... there'll be times where you'll just get pissed off at yourself for not being able to play something, believe me :lol: then soon enough afterwards you'll be going "I can't believe I couldn't play that"... keep it up

He mentioned Nirvana, don't really like them but they are a good band for beginners, i play a lot of Nirvana songs on the guitar, and the basslines are kind of simple too.

What is mah progress?

I plays Funeral Portrait + solos.

I play for less than a year.

I bought a bass a few years ago on a whim and to rid the disease was one of the first things i learned along with led zeps dazed and confused. T'was after not playing guitar like instrument for almost eight years....even still, i had the luxury of having some technical ability left (which you did not).

I soon got bored and bought a les paul....the bass is nothing but an ornament these days...i reckon there is no point learning bass unless you seriously intend on being in a band, otherwise it can get rather dull.

good effort though, considering you've never played before.

etakistan said:
What is mah progress?

I plays Funeral Portrait + solos.

I play for less than a year.

thats freakin good. i been playing more than a yr and a half and im still trying to learn all of closure. the bassline to 'to rid the disease' is pretty simple but is very awesome

After a year I could play most Opeth solos, but I couldn't play any other parts. Solos are generally the easiest parts of the songs

Even if it is a piece of piss it's still great to know a whole song so soon. Only thing about playing bass I could never live with is that you can't sit in a bedroom on your own and play songs for people, which is basically all I do with my guitar now.

What??? I've always played a lot of instruments, and found that I learnt a lot faster on all of them when I was learning more than one at a time. (All very different instruments as well) If you're going 20 times slower I'd say just concentrate on one, it's a lot better to play one instrument proficiently than a lot of instruments terribly.

Haha! I remember the first song I ever played on bass(without pick), it was The twilight is my robe from Orchid. Still great progress, I didnt learn to rid the disease and windowpane 'till just recently because of the cool sound.
Otherwise i would recommend The moor and The lepper affinity as good keep it going songs. And then perhaps move to White cluster and Ghost of perdition which are the hardest opeth bass songs in my opinion.