WoY visibility worldwide

verderf_lf

I'll be Lionfrost now...
Mar 6, 2006
Flanders, Belgium
Reading about the now sold out WoY toque being taken to places like Norway and in all likelihood even Afghanistan, I figured it might be nice to start a thread where we can post pictures of the band's merchandise being paraded around the world.
Despite my initial scepticism, I was lucky enough to get a hold of one of those toques. It arrived in the mail the very day I was leaving for Sierra Leone in Western Africa so I decided to move it straight from the envelope into my suitcase and... here's the result. :)

toque.jpg

Even though I was not thinking of posting this picture here in the forum let alone move on to explain about what can be seen in it (apart from that git with the WoY toque of course, hehe), I was motivated to go ahead and do so by someone who obviously knows what he's talking about as well, so I have come to realize.

Incidentally, the kid next to me in the picture is working in a sand exploitation site, being the lake you can see behind us. Children as young as 4 years of age (personal estimate) were performing different tasks there. The teenage boys actually dived down holes that were drilled in the bottom of the lake bringing buckets of sand up to a small boat of which the contents were then brought ashore. Their only equipment being a boat and a shovel, I might add. No oxygen supply or anything remotely resembling that.
Unicef, the UN's organisation focusing on the wellbeing of children worldwide, is working hard to get in touch with local governments in order to improve the situation for these children and have them attend school rather than work in places like this all day long. Anyone having any experience with Africa and its local customs and politics will know this is a hard nut to crack.

We were lucky enough to be able to see the Unicef representative at work and I have to say a major kudos goes out to him and his staff. I've travelled to Africa quite often during the passed few years and have seen things I never thought imaginable. Things that put reality into perspective, to say the least. Trips like the one we just took stand for unique experiences. Alongside this, I've been reading about things happening on the opposite side of Africa, in Kenya, regarding the fight against HIV and Aids which is still one of the main killers on the dark continent. I'll be attending a reading about this next week, subsequently trying to get in touch with the organizers and attempt to support them to a certain level on a voluntary basis.

The world is a much bigger picture than what we are usually confronted with. By reading and exploring issues that live among people worldwide, one can work towards doing small things that may have huge results. The art then lies in finding some sort of balance between your own daily reality and the way you are trying to contribute to improving conditions in other parts of the world.
Matter of the fact is you can't neglect your own life and reality because of what goes on elsewhere, but one can damn well try to make small contributions in order to try and *do* something. That does not always have to be a monetary contribution, which in all honesty I am somewhat sceptical about, myself. Then again I am in a "comfortable" position allowing me to try and help in other ways. My work takes me to places most people from the Western world will probably never come and allows me to stay there for short periods of time. The frequency of my travels being rather high establishes some kind of personal aid bridge between two continents which, as I mentioned earlier, I am aiming to further develop.

I hope this small story is of some interest to at least some of you. Apart from this sand exploitation site, we also met with several organizations working on the recognition of children in society and we've seen the inside of a prison which was... well, and experience of its own. These are all eye openers, my friends.
If anyone wants to hear more, feel free to contact me either in this thread or through PM.
I also hope this post will move others to share their own stories. And let's not forget... share pictures of yourselves in WoY dress around the world! Yes, I also mean e.g. attending an open air festival in your backyard. You can't expect everyone to travel to Afghanistan with a toque under their helmet, right? (If you don't know what I'm talking about, let's hope Miltbrand will step in with a story or two in this here thread. Haha.)

I don't think I have any of me in and about Oslo with my WoY toque on but I will make sure to take one of me in the desert of Arizona. haha! I will not forget when I get back to Europe each year.

I will say that I talked up Woods of Ypres to all the various black metal fanatics I ran into at Inferno.

Jessica Rose said:
It's so great to see a woods fan take an active role in helping developing nations! I'm leaving for Costa Rica next week on my honeymoon, so I'll be sure to post a photo of me in a woods shirt in the rainforest :)
Thanks, Jessica. Matter of the fact is I regularly find myself in places like the one in the picture. One might as well make himself useful or at least broaden one's horizon rather than dwell in mindless prejudice as people often do.
Many if not most tend to think in black and white when it comes to these things and get the feeling money is being shaked out of their pockets. I'm not exactly wild about that either so this works out for me.

None of this is about bragging either, let alone trying to be the bringer of consciousness. I wasn't planning on posting the picture nor the story here anyway, but as I said I got word there could be some value in it. If it doesn't open people's eyes, at least it reveals those who feel comfortable not being informed for reasons best known to themselves. Some people happen to be content with living in a box.
I am not motivated to preach them out of it but by the same token I will indeed speak my mind wherever and whenever I want. Those who don't care or don't like it can turn elsewhere or comment on issues more pressing to them like how bad a club Harpos is. True, that kind of stuff shakes my world as well. :Smug:

I like whenever we make the connection between people who listen to WoY or 'this kind of music' (let's just call it 'metal' :) ) who are also productive people travelling, getting an education, working jobs, going to shows/events and basically doing interesting things (getting involved in the world, etc...) beyond simply enjoying music and reflecting on it.

If you travel or do something you think is interesting, I'll always encourage you to post and discuss it here. (No smartasses please. You can get that anywhere else.)

So, get out in the world and fuck shit up (in the positive way, for you, for us!). :kickass:

Thanks for posting Verderf If!

btw -

Those who don't care or don't like it can turn elsewhere or comment on issues more pressing to them like how bad a club Harpos is.

Harpo's (In Detroit) is fucking awesome! Never did I ever feel more 'metal' than I did when seeing a show there in my youth. ...and by "feeling metal" I mean "feeling" metal, as in having those euphoric moments when I am confronted with my true emotional connection to metal music and I am reminded about how truly awesome metal can be! :kickass:

Harpo's is the real deal, IMO.

I have heard so much about Harpo's but have never been there. Someday Woods has to play there so we can all go there and join in on the metal fun.

Interesting thread, this!

I posted this pic on the old SMN forum about a day before the forum moved to UM, but for the sake of this topic I'll do it again. ;) Back in January I went to visit Hokkaido (the snowy northern island of Japan that, coincidentally, the 45th parallel runs through) and through it'd be a suitable place to be wearing the white WoY t-shirt.

ashwoywhite.jpg

That's some ogre/demon thing, popular in local mythology (the thing on the left, I mean, heh...)

David Gold said:
Harpo's is the real deal, IMO.
I'll gladly take your word on that, David.
I was just using it as an example to shine a different light on the so-called judgement of calling this thread boring - for whatever reason, best known to the person who passes such judgement. I find it a bit disturbing to then see what seems to really rock their world, you know? Nothing wrong with it, but IMHO it's rather questionable if this is the main fuel on which one runs one's life.

verderf_lf said:
I'll gladly take your word on that, David.
I was just using it as an example to shine a different light on the so-called judgement of calling this thread boring - for whatever reason, best known to the person who passes such judgement. I find it a bit disturbing to then see what seems to really rock their world, you know? Nothing wrong with it, but IMHO it's rather questionable if this is the main fuel on which one runs one's life.

Christ man give me a break, the lack of criticism in this forum is ridiculous. We don't have to be all nice and positive all the frikin time, and then as soon as someone steps out of line pounce on them. Its alright for someone to disagree.

Good for verderf and what he's doing, but that people are going to wear their woods apparel on their vacation to represent amongst the natives is just a silly topic imo. Besides who wears a toque in that weather anyway.

Peterk said:
WOY shall be represented in the Middle East soon.
i'm leaving for Abu Dhabi,U.A.E tmrw gonna pack my WOY T-shirt to wear at any gigs i attend there.
will post pics of it later.

Cool... I've always wanted to visit the UAE, Oman, etc... if you don't mind me asking, what are you gonna be doing there? Travelling, working...?

Scarlett Letterman said:
Christ man give me a break, the lack of criticism in this forum is ridiculous. We don't have to be all nice and positive all the frikin time, and then as soon as someone steps out of line pounce on them. Its alright for someone to disagree.

Good for verderf and what he's doing, but that people are going to wear their woods apparel on their vacation to represent amongst the natives is just a silly topic imo. Besides who wears a toque in that weather anyway.

Relax! It's just a fan of a band wearing some merch abroad and sharing said experience with fellow fans.

AshDLS said:
Cool... I've always wanted to visit the UAE, Oman, etc... if you don't mind me asking, what are you gonna be doing there? Travelling, working...?

at present i'm enjoying my time with my Family...might work here as life is terribly boring...not much social activities.
there might be a gig here on the 15th of June.will wear my WOY T-shirt then.
will post pics later.

I know a few folks who have lived in the UAE but they never mentioned much about live gigs. :p

Anyway, I'm teaching English (to use the term "teaching" loosely) here in Japan but I've heard the salary for an English teacher in the Middle East (especially UAE) is quite handsome. Although I'm guessing it's much harder to find a job over there compared to Japan, hmmm.