immortal

5 alt picks:
moonblood
wolfnacht
the shadow order
gontyna kry
aeternus

Gah that's tough.

1. Burzum- First five black metal records are all classics. Even the weaker records are solid.

2. Deathspell Omega- Everything from 04 onwards has been amazing

3. Emperor- Three absolute classics (ITNSE, ATWAD, Prometheus)

4. Darkthrone- Four classics (Blaze through Panzerfaust) but a lot of so-so records in their middle phase.

5. Agalloch- This is the tricky one... they're a lot more than just black metal, but judged on the whole, they're closer to black metal than any other genre. First four records are all classics.

6. Graveland- Everything this guy released between The Celtic Winter and Memory and Destiny was very good to great. The later part of his career has been quite predictable and pedestrian.

7. Enslaved- Just extremely consistent. VV is the only record I'd consider a straight-up masterpiece, but on the other hand, every single album is good if not very good.

Now it gets really hard, because now it becomes a choice between bands that released a few great albums and bands that released many good albums...

8. Mutiilation- This is based almost exclusively on Remains and Vampires. Two of the best black metal records ever. The later stuff is pretty mediocre.

9. Nagelfar- Three epic full-lengths

10. Immortal- First two albums are classics, next two albums are solid, but the final three records are so mediocre. Still they did just enough to get the nod.

Honorable mention to Velvet Cacoon. Genevieve is one of my top 10 black metal albums. I'd say they just don't have the quantity of records as a band to make the list.

1. Graveland
#1 just for Following the Voice of Blood alone. Doesnt hurt that he's released at least three other classics and almost everything is of good quality

2. Summoning
Minas morgul, Dol Guldur, and Nightshade Forest. Nothing more needs be said

3. Emperor
Everything up to ATTWAD is essential. IX Equilibrium is even worthy.

4. Enslaved
It's all classic to great. Most consistent band out there

5. Nokturnal Mortum
What other band, active since the mid 90s, has released their best stuff recently?

6. The Ruins of Beverast
A decade of existence. 3 masterpieces.

7. Dawn
The best melodic black metal band, hands down.

8. Aeternus
Sworn Revenge. This song is better than Mayhem's entire output.

9. Helheim
The more I listen, the more impressed I am. The first two and the demo are essential

10. Immortal
Everything is great (except Damned in Black), with PH and ATHOW being the classics. My personal fave is Blizzard Beasts

Honorable mention goes to Hades with two underground classics with Again Shall Be and Dawn of the Dying Sun

I don't listen to a lot of Black Metal, but if I had to put 9 more bands after Gorgoroth which I really enjoy in the genre the list would go something like this:

Mayhem
Anaal Nathrakh
Enslaved
Immortal
Taake
Blasphemy
Archgoat
Watain

I forgot about that album. It is quite a phenomenal, overlooked release. It's what I Shalt Become couldn't quite be

it was insanely hyped at the time as a boundary-pushing masterpiece with reference to the 'dieselharp' invention and whatnot, and the band eventually revealed they were just trolling and showing how shallow and fickle the BM community is. all that business soured a lot of people on that album, but in the cold light of day it's neither as bad nor as good as some would have it, methinks.

Sacramentum.
Belial.
Mythos.
Dissection.
Impaled Nazarene.
Bewitched.
Dawn.
Lord Belial.
Diabolical Masquerade.
Satyricon.

it was insanely hyped at the time as a boundary-pushing masterpiece with reference to the 'dieselharp' invention and whatnot, and the band eventually revealed they were just trolling and showing how shallow and fickle the BM community is. all that business soured a lot of people on that album, but in the cold light of day it's neither as bad nor as good as some would have it, methinks.

I forgot about all that. I'm going to re-listen to that soon and see what I think now. I remember buying it out of a magazine ad and knowing nothing about it or the band and I loved it then.

Burzum
Thy Light
Nyktalgia
Drudkh
Deathspell Omega
Paysage D'Hiver
Darkthrone
Sargeist
Mayhem
Agalloch

Honorable mentions:
Inquisition
Wodensthrone
Mgla
Gris
Summoning
Darkspace
Kawir
Nokturnal Mortum
Forteresse
Alda
Woe
Leviathan
Austere
Woods of Desolation
Make a Change... Kill Yourself
Nekrokrist SS

I don't listen to near enough black metal. Windir would be #1 followed by a bunch of black/thrash bands. I'll listen to some of these lists to give it a fair chance.

Woah I barely remember making this thread, and it was just yesterday.

Anyways (in no order):

Deathspell Omega
Negura Bunget
Darkspace
Paysage D'hiver
Enslaved
Taake
Darkthrone
Burzum
Primordial
The Ruins of Beverast

I wanted to see if you guys could actually list 1-10, but I simply can't... I tried to stick to pure Black Metal, or at least stuff that is primarily Black Metal. (which leaves out acts like Agalloch, Destroyer 666, Belphegor, etc.)

Honorable mentions to: early Immortal, Lunara Aurora, Ludicra, and a shit ton of others.

This is seriously tough. First I will say that I am not counting Agalloch or Primordial as black metal even though they could be considered so. I will also cheat by counting Nagelfar & The Ruins of Beverast as the same choice. Here we go:

Lunar Aurora
Inquisition
Kawir
Blut aus Nord
Immortal
Nagelfar/The Ruins of Beverast
Abigor
Aosoth
Imperium Dekadenz
Acherontas

Honorable Mention: Mgła

Deströyer 666 would be fairly high on this list, but I consider them black/thrash & I picked bands that are more black metal than anything else.