2012: We are off to a good start....

Furyon's Gravitas album looks like a 2010 release. At least I can find where they apparently self published in 2010. Maybe this is a reissue on a label? There are reviews for it at least from back then.

Exactly. Frontiers released it recently and the first I had heard it.

Devil's Train - Devil's Train
Axel Rudi Pell - Circle Of The Oath
Ecliptica - Journey Saturnine
Unisonic - Ignition
Jeff Scott Soto - Damage Control
Crazy Lixx - Riot Avenue
Savage Messiah - Plague of Conscience
The Sacrificed - III

My favorite Hard Rock CD so far of 2012

Dynazty - Sultans Of Sin

My favorite Heavy Metal CD so far for 2012

Knight Fury - Time To Rock

Some killer singles released from SHOK PARIS, and EDEN'S CURSE as well!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXms5XNwP4w&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

The UNISONIC EP is the only 2012 release I have gotten thus far (well, aside from the CIRITH UNGOL reissue of their 2CD collection but that's not a new recording), and it has MORE than exceeded all expectations!
I can not wait for the full length.

Beyond the Bridge is the only one I have heard and it is up there for possibly the #2 spot on my 2012 top list.

Stuff I like so far:

Napalm Death - Utilitarian
Psycroptic - The Inherited Repression
Coldworker - The Doomsayer's Call
Lacuna Coil - Dark Adrenaline
Sonic Station - st
Sunstorm - Emotional Fire
Amberian Dawn - Circus Black
Eternal Dream -The Fall Of Salanthine
Freedom Call - Land Of The Crimson Dawn
Lyriel - Leverage
Primal Fear - Unbreakable
Rage - 21
Xandria - Neverworld's End
Aggression - Viocracy
Game Over - For Humanity by Militia
Mad Maze - Frames of Alienation
Suicidal Angels - Bloodbath
Testimony - Transcending Reality [EP]

Nice try Glenn. But I'm on to you...

Thursday Night
Rage
Imminent Sonic Destruction
Iron Fire

Friday Night
Lacuna Coil
Epica
Southern Cross
Beyond the Bridge
Dimension Act
Furyon
Opera Diabolicus

Saturday Night
Van Halen
Mustasch
Savage Messiah
Silent Lapse
Xandria
Caligula's Horse
Devil's Train

This year is off to a rather good start for me. Those I have enjoyed...
Nice list.

Beyond the Bridge - The Old Man & the Spirit: like it... gonna have to spin this some

Caligula's Horse - Moments from Ephemeral City: great music... but these introspective lyrics and sombre melodies aren't where my head is at right now

Devil's Train - Devil's Train: I'm not an x-ray tech, but these guys don't have an original bone in their bodies

Dimension Act - Manifestations of Progress: quality stuff, but I no longer have the patience for this brand of Prog

Epica - Requiem for the Indifferent: remove the sexy red head, the over the top production, and the pre-canned image and you're left with songs that are less than mediocre.

Furyon - Gravitas: Awesome!

Imminent Sonic Destruction - Recurring Themes: I need to spend some time with this.

Iron Fire - Voyage of the Damned: Totally enjoying this.

Lacuna Coil - Dark Adrenaline: a very nice return to form.

Mustasch - Sounds Like Hell, Looks Like Heaven: I need to spend some time with these guys. Not sure why I passed on them originally.

Opera Diabolicus - 1614: Judging by the name, I thought I'd hate it. But actually, I'm digging it.

Rage - 21: I didn't bother. These guys have always bored me.

Savage Messiah - Plague of Consciousness: Awesome disc. Top 10 for sure.

Silent Lapse - Birthright: solid, but not enough hours in the day for something that doesn't make an immediate impression.

Southern Cross - From Tragedy: see Caligula's Horse above

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth: I love all the old Roth stuff, but this is fairly awful.

Xandria - Neverworld's End: not a fan of Pop Metal music.

I'm baffled at this considering your Lacuna Coil comment along with the drastic style change with Xandria.
Must have been the song I chose. I got about 30 seconds into the track, hated the vocals and the polished production and bailed on it.

If there's one thing I have no use for in "Metal", it's female vocals along side a sterile production. Metal should have an edge. Epica, Delain, Nightwish, etc., they just don't have that feel for me. Ughhh... Delain I just loathe. Which isn't to say there aren't female fronted Metal bands I like... Benedictum, Sister Sin, the new Chrostian Mistress, to name a few.

As for Lacuna Coil, they're almost the exception that proves the rule. And I wasn't a fan since the debut, I probably would pass them over nowadays. But I dig both Christina and Andre's vocals.

If there's one thing I have no use for in "Metal", it's female vocals along side a sterile production. .

Based on those two factors equaling "pop metal" for you, I'd say those 30 seconds of the new Xandria were more than enough for you. It does have the pristine, big production. I just don't equate operatic female vocals to "pop metal" as they do not appeal to all "pop" fans. I think Lacuna Coil, Delain, Annette-Nightwish with that description. Your Epica comment also makes sense now.

So....no female vocals that have pop sensibility...no pristine & clean productions...no introspective, emotional type lyrics....no patience for melodic type prog...going against the grain on the Van Halen view..the heaviest/angriest disc of the list gets an "awesome" ...

Do we need to worry about you ending up on a crime blotter somewhere?

:D

I just don't equate operatic female vocals to "pop metal" as they do not appeal to all "pop" fans.
That's fair.

Do we need to worry about you ending up on a crime blotter somewhere?:D
Probably not. But I don't want to rule anything out. :loco:

Hey... have you heard the 66crusher CD, Blackest Day? I would think you'd be all over it. I described to a friend this way... Picture a world where it's 2005. Evergrey has just released Inner Circle. And instead of incorporating influences from Hard Rock, Tom spends a month in the woods listening to nothing but Opeth's Still Life and Enslaved's Isa. That's what we have here. The melodies may take a few listen's to sink in, but the music is just phenomenal.

By the way, props to lane_miller on this one. Good find.