My Top 40 of 2012

I love Devin. He's one of my favorites and while it was a fun album, it wasn't up to his usual quality imo.

It took a while for it to grow on me. At first, I really didn't enjoy it, but after a while, it got really addicting. I listen to the majority of my music while commuting to work, and I think Epicloud is well suited for the car (whereas an album like Terria is better suited for the stereo at home, if that makes sense).

Love this post as I always find 1 or 2 awesome bands I never heard of. Threshold is my #1 disc of the year and Headspace isn't far behind. Crow 7 is a fresh surprise; love it.

An album that made my top 3 of the year was not on your list Glenn and that is Vision Divine. I can't stop listening to it; blows away their previous effort and is full of hooks, great melodies, and memorable choruses. Here is a perfect example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHLs6B6-7R4

It took a while for it to grow on me. At first, I really didn't enjoy it, but after a while, it got really addicting. I listen to the majority of my music while commuting to work, and I think Epicloud is well suited for the car (whereas an album like Terria is better suited for the stereo at home, if that makes sense).

I can see that. Terria is my all time favorite from him.

Nice post. It seems I always end up finding a few gems in your annual list. Interestingly, I preferred the stuff you ranked lower. I found eight discs worth checking out in 40 - 20, and only one in 19 - 1. I was surprised you didn't have Teodor Tuff higher, and even more surprised neither Icarus Witch (definitely in my Top 5) or Sister Sin on your list. If you haven't done so, I would highly recommend you check our Orange Goblin, based on your love of bluesy Hard Rock / Metal.

Not the best song on the disc by a long shot, Merely the one they shot a video for.

Last edited by a moderator:
That Orange Goblin is definitely in my top 20. Awesome disc. As for Icarus Witch, I'm in the minority as I truly HATED that album. It almost sounds to me like if Kiss tried to be traditional metal. I tried numerous times, but yeah...

Here is my top 25 for 2012. Overall it was a pretty good year; lots of heavier stuff on my list which I tend to gravitate towards anyways.

25. Vision Divine - Destination Set To Nowhere: Solid Progressive Power Metal from Italy. Fabio Lione returns and he really shines on this one.

24. Before The Dawn - Rise Of The Phoenix: Nothing groundbreaking or completely original here. Just really, really good Melodic Death Metal from Finland.

23. Eluveitie - Helvetios: I just really dig everything this band does. Nothing really more to say other than that. I love how they seem to be incorporating more female vox.

22. Hemina - Synthetic: I found this by pure accident while purchasing another Nightmare release on iTunes. I don't know where Lance finds these bands, but between Hemina and Fracture there is some really quality Prog Metal from down under.

21. Jeff Loomis - Plains Of Oblivion: I both love and hate Loomis. The guitar player in me is telling me to quit after 30 years of playing because I just will never be able to play like this. Some great guests on this album as well.

20. Accept - Stalingrad: Great follow-up to Blood Of The Nations. I was pissed when the Kreator/Accept/Swallow The Sun show got cancelled here in Phoenix.

19. Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage: Is it me or does this band seem to be getting more progressive with each album? Not quite as good as From Mars To Sirius, but solid nonetheless.

18. Steve Vai - The Story Of Light: Steve is back with a vengeance. It's been too long since he's released any new material and I love every bit of it. All you have to do is look at my username to find out how much I love Vai.

17. Headspace - I Am Anonymous: See Glenn's post in his list. Damian sounds amazing here.

16. Kamelot - Silverthorn: Tommy fits like a glove and the band shows renewed energy. Still not quite as good as their early stuff with Khan IMO, but I think this exceeded everyone's expectations.

15. Ihsahn - Eremita: So, so glad Glenn was able to bring him to PP last year. This guy is on another level progressively. Still enjoy his last album a tiny bit more though.

14. Nightmare - The Burden Of God: I've always liked this band, but never really loved anything they did until this album. Maybe it's because it's heavier, I don't know. But I do know this is some kick-ass power metal.

13. Epica - Requiem For The Indifferent: This is pretty much on par with everything the band has ever done. Which is all excellent in my book.

12. Lacuna Coil - Dark Adrenaline : I was dissapointed in their last album save for a few songs. Dark Adrenaline puts the Coilers back on track.

11. Swallow The Sun - Emerald Forest And The Blackbird: Damn, I love these guys. I can feel the emotion in everything they do and not many bands hit me on that level.

10. Speaking To Stones - Elements: I came across this on the laser CD website and decided to give the samples a listen on iTunes. I'm glad I did, as this type of heavy prog is right up my alley.

9. Testament - Dark Roots Of Earth: I agree with Glenn, that overall it was a weak year for thrash. But Testament still holds the torch high. Great live band too.

8. Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth: I have to admit my expectations for this were really low. Damn was I wrong! This is the VH I used to love back in the 70's and early 80's. Still sucks that Mikey isn't there, but Wolfgang has proven himself to be a solid replacement.

7. Katatonia - Dead End Kings: These guys are at the top of their game. They had found their sound a few albums ago and have perfected it with this release IMO.

6. German Pascual - A New Beginning: Kick-ass heavy power metal here. This album surprised me at how good it is.

5. Mnemic - Mnemesis: There is so much going on in the music it's sick. Guillame really takes it to another level here, there is much more clean vox than on their previous works. Musically it's not quite as brutal, but it has more melody and progressiveness IMO.

4. Xandria - Neverworld's End: I originally checked this out because I thought the album artwork was cool. Good god! I love this! This is the direction that Nightwish should have been heading the last few albums. Old school Nightwish with way better guitarwork IMO.

3. Damnation Angels - Bringer Of Light: What can I say about this band that Glenn already hasn't? Amazing debut, simply amazing.

2. Meshuggah - Koloss: No one can do what Meshuggah does. NO ONE. They have returned with their most organic sounding record ever, and that's a good thing. Screw the programmed drums, continue to let Hakke play his ass off. Lots of great thrashy-riffs too. Stunning!

1. Sybreed - God Is An Automation: I think I mentioned in another thread how much I love Sybreed. They take the best of bands like Meshuggah, Mnemic, Samael, Depeche Mode, Fear Factory, etc...and make it a sound all their own. I feel that they are criminally underrated. Pick any song off this album, they are all that good. I've probably listened to this over 100 times since October and that's no exaggeration. Fucking love these guys.

25. Vision Divine - Destination Set To Nowhere: Solid Progressive Power Metal from Italy. Fabio Lione returns and he really shines on this one.

love this album! This was the year of Italian power metal with killer releases also from Sound Storm, Thy Majestie, Mirrormaze, and Secret Sphere

love this album! This was the year of Italian power metal with killer releases also from Sound Storm, Thy Majestie, Mirrormaze, and Secret Sphere

I haven't heard the new Secret Sphere yet, but it's definitely on my list to pick up. From the samples I have heard, it quite possibly could have made my list. I'm not familiar with the other 3 you mentioned, but I will check them out for sure!

I've been lusting after the new Sybreed since I heard Posthuman Manifesto. The last album was a snoozer for me, but this one brings back the balls and chunk. I can't wait to have some freed up cash to snag that sucker.

23. Eluveitie - Helvetios: I just really dig everything this band does. Nothing really more to say other than that. I love how they seem to be incorporating more female vox.

To be honest, I didn't like it as much as their last album, tho I still think it is a good album.

I didn't think the Beyond The Bridge was this year, but I'm wrong. I agree that it is one of the best albums of the year. I probably would have had more of this list in my collection if the vendors at ProgPower actually had carried them.

Also, no talk about Rush? Clockwork Angels is my album of the year, and it has been a long time since I could actually say that.

My top 40 of 2012

40. Astra – The Black Chord

Space-y and dreamy 70's prog rock with flourishes of metal. Best thing Metal Blade has put out in a long time

39. Seven Kingdoms – The Fire Is Mine

great American Power Metal with fantastic vocals from Sabrina Valentine

38. Savage Messiah – Plague of Conscience

intense heavy power thrash from the U.K.

37. Destination’s Calling – End of Time

melodic hard rock/metal with great vocals

36. Mob Rules – Cannibal Nation

another winner from the boys from Germany. Nothing new, just great melodic power metal

35. Iron Fire – Voyage of the Damned

a great heavy power metal album

34. Civilization One –Calling the Gods

Chity does it again. Great power metal with great vocals

33. Opera Diabolicus - 1614

Snowy Shaw returns with a great evil metal album

32. Thy Majestie – ShiHuangDi

melodic power metal from Italy

31. Kontrust – Second Hand Wonderland

A great cross genre oddball band. The most fun album of 2012 to listen to.

30. A Sound of Thunder – Out of the Darkness

great traditional U.S. metal with a fantastic singer in Nina Osegueda

29. Accept – Stalingrad

A notch below Blood of Nations, but Accept continue a winning formula with new vocalist Mark Tornillo and producer Andy Sneap

28. Teodor Tuff – Soliloquy

A great melodic power metal band with fantastic vocals and catchy choruses

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cEDEjzAlaM&playnext=1&list=PLx7s912kciHoEC56g90RysNyBhijIu3EQ&feature=results_video[/ame]

27. Pellek – Bag of Tricks

Damnation Angels frontman PelleK's debut solo album with guest appearances from Amanda Somerville and Tommy Karevik

26. Paragon – Force of Destruction

More great German power metal in the tradition of Accept

25. Sound Storm - Immortalia

an intense Symphonic metal masterpiece

24. Hemina - Synthetic

dreamy and technical prog metal from Australia

23. Mirrormaze - Walkabout

Fabio D'Amore bass player of Serenity proves he is a more than capable lead vocalist. Great power prog from Italy

22. German Pascual – A New Beginning

Divinefire vocalist's debut solo album. Intense, heavy and powerful metal with great vocals

21. Heaven’s Cry – Wheels of Impermanence

technical progressive metal from Canada with great vocals

20. Orden Ogan_- To The End

Symphonic Power folk metal in the tradition of Blind Guardian

19. In the Silence –A Fair Dream Gone Mad_

An intense melancholy, atmospheric heavy progressive metal band

18. Xandria – Neverworld’s End

Tarja-era Nightwish style symphonic metal. Extremely well done and lead vocalist Manuela Kraller is an amazing vocalist

17. Affector - Harmageddon

great technical progressive metal with Ted Leonard from Enchant on vocals. Overtly Christian lyrics but that didn't stop me from enjoying this one immensely

16. Threshold – March of Progress

Damian Wilson rejoins Threshold and creates a prog metal masterpiece

15. Headspace - I Am Anonymous

As much as I loved March of Progress, Headspace edged out Threshold slightly, great U.K. prog with Damian Wilson on vocals

14. Secret Sphere – Portrait of A Dying Heart

Michelle Luppi brings Italy's Secret Sphere to the next level of power metal

13. Vision Divine – Destination Set to Nowhere

Fabio Lione proves why he is one of the best power metal vocalists out there..period!

12. Dimension Act - Manifestation of Progresss

An amazing traditional prog metal debut album. Just fantastic from start to finish

11. Epica - Requiem for the Indifferent

Epica return with a great album and Simone Simons sounds better than ever. Meeting the band at ProgPower and seeing them perform up close and personal was one of the highlights of 2012 for me

10. Damnation Angels – Bringer of Light

An incredible symphonic power metal album with the great PelleK on vocals. Kamelot fans will love this one

9. Huntress - Spell Eater

my favorite traditional metal album of the year, NWOBHM style of no frills metal with intense theatrical vocals from Jill Janus. Looking forward to hearing their sophomore album in 2013!

8 Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud

Devin never disappoints. Just an awesome album of avant garde metal

7. Delain - We Are The Others

the best Delain album yet. Heavy yet poppy hard rock/metal. Charlotte Wessels is an extremely charismatic and talented vocalist

6. Arjen Anthony Lucassen - Lost In The New Real

Another genius prog metal masterpiece from Arjen.

5. Circus Maximus - Nine

A fantastic progressive metal album with amazing vocals. well worth the wait. Looking forward to seeing CM for the first time in Atlanta next year

4. Anathema - Weather Systems

a beautiful ethereal prog rock work of art. Simply breathtakingly beautiful

3. Kamelot – Silverthorn

A fantastic return to form for Kamelot. After the loss of longtime frontman Khan, the band has found the perfect replacement in Seventh Wonder vocalist Tommy Karevik

2. Trail of Murder – Shades of Art

The surprise album of 2012 for me. The return of Urban breed and an album that I can't stop playing and choruses that i can't get out of my head. Fans of Tad Morose will love this one!

1. Beyond the Bridge - The Old Man & The Spirit

from the first time I heard this album as a promo at the end of 2011 I knew this was something special. With all the great music that came out this year, it was never even close, this album was my choice for the #1 spot. It's been in my regular rotation all year. A brilliant progressive metal debut with amazing dual vocals from Dilenya Mar and Herbie Langhans, technical, beautiful, an absolute stunning achievement that takes my breath away with each listen. i can't say enough good things about this album!

I obviously have a lot of catching up to do this year but bands that rocked my world included

AtomA - Skylight
Candlemass - Psalms of the Dead
Snowy Shaw - Snowy Shaw is Alive!
Arena - Seventh Degree of Seperation
Kissin Dynamite - MOney Sex & Power
Xandria - Neverworlds End
Woods of Ypres - Woods V

In regards to albums that just missed the cut:

Holy Grail is excellent live, and I have not heard the new album. Can't wait to hear it. Love those guys, and would love to see them again.

Also, Money, Sex & Power by Kissin' Dynamite was good, but I love ALL of their stuff. They are super fun to listen to, and impossible to not sing along with. I would LOVE to sponsor their trip over here to the good ol' U.S. of A.

33. Heaven’s Cry- Wheels of Impermanence: This disc probably challenged me more than most. It took me several listens before I really started to enjoy their brand of prog metal as it’s just not that immediate. I don’t do that often to be honest as there is just too much music out there. That should tell you how good this is.

I bought this Heaven's Cry disc at ProgPower, and I've given it a few listens. I definitely agree that this disc is challenging. Similar and different to how I find that While Heaven's Wept may be challenging to people -- but for completely different reasons, don't get me wrong. I need to give this album more listening time. I have to really be in the mood to want to "figure it out." This was not an instant winner for me, but I can see how talented they are and am sure I'll be blown away live.

31. At Vance- Facing Your Enemy: I really think sometimes that folks rush on blindly trying to find the next big thing and forget there are some quality bands that have been around for years that are still kicking ass. They have tweaked their style a bit over the years and this is my favorite since the Oliver Hartmann era. Melodic power with some big hooks….

LOVE. These guys. They fall off my radar sometimes too, but I love deciding it's time to listen to them again...

24. Epica- Requiem for the Indifferent: I’m in the minority of a lot of Epica fans. While I enjoyed the last few discs, I thought this was a step up instead of backwards. Simone sounds amazing and the music just flows for me on all levels.

Glenn, I am in this minority too. I've gotten so many looks when I say the same thing: I think this album was a HUGE step up for them, and may be one of my favorite albums they've ever released.

22. ReinXeed- Welcome to the Theater- I called their music “cheesy” in a recent interview I did and it pissed off a few of their dedicated fans. What?! Did they not read the lyrics? Or am I the only one swinging through the jungle? That said, I maintain this is gloriously, over the top, fast cheesy power metal that I absolutely love!

Cheesy? CHEESY AWESOME.

15. Threshold- March of Progress: Threshold is possibly the slickest & most polished prog metal band on the planet (yeah..shut up about Vanden Plas). Damian continues his magical run with his vocal performance. The only thing missing is an epic ala “Pilot in the Sky of Dreams” to really put this one over the top.

Agreed about needing a "Pilot" epic. But I love Threshold and had been waiting for this for a while. As many people have already mentioned, you'd definitely have sponsors for Threshold and/or Headspace! I think I'd faint. Last time they came was the year before I started coming to ProgPower...

4. Beyond the Bridge- The Old Man and the Spirit

Absolutely one of my favorite albums of the year. The emotions running through the album tug at my heart every time I listen.

1. Damnation Angels- Bringer of Light: It’s just a sonic landscape on multiple levels. You bastards better make room for me down front come September.

See you up front, Glenn! And thanks for this list. Despite my comments, there are quite a few I need to listen to and check out. I love coming to this forum for excellent sources of new, good music.

One last comment: I'm a huge fan of female rough vocals as well, and thoroughly enjoy Sister Sin...can wait to see them in Tampa the first weekend in February. If I had one superpower, it would be to be able to sing like them or Crucified Barbara...who also had an album this year, and it probably would have made my top 25 or so. For those of you who like that style, their album "The Midnight Chase" came out this year and it is my favorite of their three by far:

VenomGA's Top albums of 2012
1. Testament-Dark Roots of Earth
2. Circus Maximus-Nine
3. Eclipse-Bleed & Scream
4. L.A. Guns-Hollywood Forever
5. Jorn-Bring Heavy Rock To The Land
6. Suicidal Angels-Bloodbath
7. Kamelot-Silverthorn
8. Cannibal Corpse-Torture
9. Tankard-A Girl Called Caveza
10. Van Halen-A Different Kind Of Truth
11. Mpire of Evil-Hell To The Holy
12. Kreator-Phantom Antichrist
13. Trail of Murder-Shades of Art
14. Accept-Stalingrad
15. Goatwhore-Blood For The Master
16. God Seed-I Begin
17. Overkill-The Electric Age
18. Jeff Scott Soto-Damage Conrol
19. King-Forged By Satan's Doctrine
20. Bloodbound-In The Name Of Metal
21. Ihsahn-Eremita
22. Destruction-Spiritual Genocide
23. Enthroned-Obsidium
24. Atoma-Skylight
25. Gojira-L'Enfant Sauvage
26. Enslaved-RIITIIR
27. Hellbringer-Dominion of Darkness
28. Asphyx-Deathhammer
29. Loudness-2*0*1*2
30. Grave-Endless Procession of Souls
31. Nightmare-The Burden of God

Rush got my album of the year, hands down. Took about 3 or 4 listens to really get into, but it's magnificent. Have to listen to it as often as possible. I'd even say its almost as good as my favourite ever Rush album (Hold Your Fire). 'Carnies' and 'Wish them Well' are highlights, but the whole thing is just perfect. A true 10/10 album.
Ginger Wildheart's '100%' is also well worth a mention. Listened to that album so much this summer.