My Top 25 CDs of 2005

MadeInNewJersey said:
Avenged Sevenfold
I view them as the Backstreet Boys of Mallcore. They just look like they auditioned to be in that band, in some record executive's office. Their look, their sound, the screaming goth chicks, etc. all seems so preconceived.

Dark One said:
Well you know, because you're so metal and all.
Can't argue with that... I am, oh so Metal.:headbang:

By the way, just out of curiosity, is the new Opeth in your Top 10? As the only Opeth fanboy I respect, I'm curious to hear your opinion on it, now that you've had ample opportunity to digest it.

Zod

MadeInNewJersey said:
Most of them. I know it's called an opinion, just like mine saying it's a terrible list. :D

Here's some more opinions:

System of a Down? I don't know where to begin.
Dark Tranquillity at #2? Oy vey.
Opeth? It's their worst album by far.
Green Carnation? *yawn*
Avenged Sevenfold? I'd comment, but I can't find the keyboard as I'm blinded by tears of laughter.
Clutch? Sure I respect these guys, but there was much better retro/heavy rock released this year.
Meshuggah? Quite possibly the most overrated band on Planet Earth.

Never heard Most Precious Blood or Acid Bath, but I already know I don't like Acid Bath, and you described MPD as "hardcore," so uh, 'nuff said.

I'm admittedly curious about Confessor.

WELL YOUR OPINION MEANS SHIT TO ME......SO GO LISTEN TO YOUR MEN IN TIGHTS AND BE DONE WITH.......

General Zod said:
By the way, just out of curiosity, is the new Opeth in your Top 10? As the only Opeth fanboy I respect, I'm curious to hear your opinion on it, now that you've had ample opportunity to digest it.

Zod

Thanks. First, I'd have to collate a list of everything released in 2005 that I've heard enough times to make a judgement on, which I'm not even sure if I have the energy to do. That said, if "Ghost Reveries" were on the list, it would be at the bottom for sure, and even that would only be indicative of the low amount of 2005 releases I've heard.

After hearing it numerous times over the course of about 6 months now, I'd have to say that it's one of my least favorite Opeth platters and easily the most disappointing given the initial hype made not only by unreliable fanboys, but by Akerfeldt himself. First, my disappointment was the direct result of expecting one type of album (ultra heavy and dark) and getting something completely different. It's almost a "happy" sounding Opeth album; containing a mood that must have been reflective of the band's Roadrunner signing and growing legion of fans. While it's certainly good to see that Akerfeldt has finally found a comfort zone with his music and bandmates, I'm not certain that his contentment has resulted, or will result, in the somber, reflective and even desperate moods of past releases.

There is variety for sure on the new release, but every time I try, I just have a difficult time sitting through and digesting the album as a whole - something which never happened with any of their past releases. I love individual parts (the affecting clean vocals on the last song, some of the interludes in the "Atonement/Reverie/Harlequin Forest" section, "The Baying of the Hounds" as a whole for examples), but overall, it's just a drab, tedious, at times monotonous release which is ultimately perhaps the most underwhelming in their catalogue. 7/10 at best.

I'm more than willing to give a band that I still consider my favorite a mulligan to see what they come up with the next time around, but if it is simply more of the same, I'd have to say that any shred of "fanboyism" I have left will fade in the dark like a dream you're struggling to wake up from and then ultimately do.

Jason

Dark One said:
I'm more than willing to give a band that I still consider my favorite a mulligan to see what they come up with the next time around, but if it is simply more of the same, I'd have to say that any shred of "fanboyism" I have left will fade in the dark like a dream you're struggling to wake up from and then ultimately do.
Great assessment. There are moments on this disc, where the songs are so flawless crafted, it's breathtaking. But those moments are rare and fleating. Personally, I don't have a problem with the more Prog Rock direction their sound has taken, my only issue is with the lack of consistency in the songwriting.

Zod

General Zod said:
Trivium “Ascendancy” (Melodic Death)– “dude, they’re NuMetal. They’re Mallcore. Just look at them.” It’s ironic that a band whose roots lie closer to Maiden, than 99% of what’s more readily tagged “Metal”, could ever be mistaken for anything other than a Metal band. But such is Trivium’s fate. Genre classifications aside, this disc kicks ass from beginning to end. Twin guitar leads throughout, stellar drumming, and Matt’s superb clean and Death vocals get me to crank the volume every time I fire this up.

I could not agree more with this assessment. Their earlier album left me cold, but they really got their act together for "Ascendancy."

TheWhisper said:
Oh yeah, I agree...'Tatooed Millionaire' sucked the suck outta suck.

I've come to like a couple of songs on that album, but after it, I would never have believed that I'd hold one of Dickinson's solo albums ("Chemical Wedding," no surprise) on a pedestal as the equal - if not higher - than much of his output with Maiden.