My Top 10 of 2003, plus other thoughts...

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
All in all, I thought this was a solid year for Metal. There was a ton of real solid releases, but no truly great discs. My Top 10 list was distilled out of the 540 2003 releases I listened to this past year, and then again out of the 96 that I purchased.

Top 10

Balance of Power’s “Heathen Machine”. I was sad to see Lance depart. I thought “Perfect Balance” was a superb disc. It exhibited a band in transition from AOR to Metal. With the addition of John K., BoP has completed that transition and has done so in spectacular fashion. “Heathen Machine” is well played, maturely written and features undeniable melodies. I’m sure some will take issue with the often uncanny similarities between John and Geoff Tate. However, Tate hasn’t sounded this good since “Operation: Mindcrime”, and quite frankly, I miss listening to someone who can sing like this. John has immediately become one of my Top 5 favorite vocalists and I look forward to, with great anticipation, future Balance of Power releases.

Poisonblack’s “Escapexstacy”. “Escapexstacy” is one of those CDs that has the ability to render an eject button useless. If you’ve yet to be exposed to this disc, let me sum up:

1 Part Monster Riff
2 Parts Vocalist (with a deep voice, whose pipes just drip with sexuality)
1 Part Headbanging Drum Beat
3 Parts Melodic Hooks (the size of Montana)

Suffice it to say, this disc should be standard issue at every strip bar on the planet.

Opeth’s “Damnation”. If you’re familiar with Opeth’s music, than this disc is everything you could have expected when you caught wind that Opeth was set to record an all acoustic CD. If you’re not familiar with Opeth, get familiar! This CD is hauntingly beautiful. The lyrics, as always, are spectacular, and Mikael’s voice has never sounded stronger. If I had one complaint about this disc, it would be that I wish Mikael and Peter did a little more soloing. That being said, this disc has the sound of a CD that will be musically relevant for decades to come.

Amon Amarth’s “Versus the World”. This is Viking Death Metal at its finest. When vocalist Johan Hegg sings, you can’t help but feel that he moistens his pipes by licking blood from a sword, rather than with a cool 12 oz. of Evian. Amon Amarth’s music is quite simply crushing. Yet, they have no need to pummel the listener with incessant blast beats or guitars that create an overwhelming wall of sound, leaving the listener unable to discern where one note ends and the next begins. Rather, their music is executed with the precision and maturity of a band who isn’t new to this genre and isn’t impressed by how fast or how loud they can play. If you need something to help you push out that last rep at the gym, or perhaps go on a small but efficient killing spree, here’s your soundtrack.

Star One’s “Live on Earth”. I’m not a fan of live albums. And to be honest, I think watching the DVD gave me a greater appreciation for the CD. It’s amazing to consider, when watching the DVD or listening to the CD, that this isn’t an actual band. These are simply hand-picked musicians, each contributing to the sum of the whole, at such a high level, that one would have to assume that this group had been playing together for the better part of a decade. All the players here deliver top flight performances, but special note has to be taken of those given by Russell Allen and Damian Wilson, whose voices are just spectacular.

Nevermore’s “Enemies of Reality”. Had you told me that a Nevermore release would end up as low as #5 on one of my Top 10 lists, I would have simply shook my head and walked away. However, Kelly Gray and the accountants at Century Media have conspired against our heroes, and have brought us a disc that sounds as if it was recorded on $39 Radio Shack boom box. Despite the horrid production, the songs are as strong as ever. Loomis puts to bed any and all debate about who the finest guitar player in the genre is. Van’s drumming is top notch as always. Warrell’s vocals and lyrics are as emotive, intelligent, and as meticulously delivered as Nevermore fans have grown to expect. Make no mistake about it, had Neil Kernon, Andy Sneap or my nearly deaf Grandfather produced this CD, it would have garnered top honors.

King Diamond’s “The Puppet Master”. I’ve never been a huge fan of the King. Truth be told, his vocals have always turned me off. I downloaded this CD on a whim and I’m thankful I did. This is one hell of a disc (and I mean that literally). King lays off some of the really, really high notes, and delivers some excellent music, framed within the context of a horror story. Something else worth noting about this release is the guitar play. I would never have expected the guitar work to be this strong. Mike Weed and Andy Laroque do an amazing job granting the King’s horror story life.

Evergrey’s “Recreation Day”. This CD was a bit of a disappointment for me. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a very good offering. However, it just isn’t on par with the last two Evergrey releases. The other aspect I found disappointing was the CD’s production. Overall, it sounds a bit rough, which doesn’t suit Evergrey’s music in the slightest. I realize that the band had some issues getting Neil Kernon, as they had hoped, to produce this disc. However, it should have been a non-issue, as the band should have never parted ways with Andy Laroque.

Dimmu Borgir’s “Death Cult Armageddon. I’ve never been a fan of Black Metal (yes, yes, I know, I know, Dimmu isn’t true Black Metal… blah, blah, blah). While this CD is much more straight forward than PEM, there are some simply fantastic moments here, where the symphonic and the extreme collide head on, and then flow beautifully.

Arch Enemy’s “Anthems of Rebellion”. Some will cry that AE have sold out. Others will argue that Angela is nothing more than a gimmick. Whatever. Arch Enemy kicks ass! The Arnott brother’s crank out one killer riff after another, as Daniel Erlandson lays down neck-snapping beat after neck-snapping beat, and all the while, Angela screams over the madness. “We Will Rise” is easily one of the top five songs penned in 2003.

Soilwork’s “Figure Number Five”. Soilwork continues to move further and further from their Death Metal roots. And in doing so, their music becomes of less and less interest to me. Not because I’m such a huge fan of Death Metal, but because few others have ever been able to deliver music as aggressive as Soilwork’s, and yet retain a consistent melodic sensibility. While this CD isn’t as good as NBC, which wasn’t as good as APP, it’s still a real strong disc.

Other Noteworthy Releases

Andromeda’s “II-I”. A big let down after the debut. I find it a struggle to listen to this CD from beginning to end. Simply put, the songs just bore me.

Black Label Society’s “The Blessed Hellride”. I dig Zakk’s voice and his guitar playing, but this CD sounds pre-fabricated.

Brainstorm’s “Soul Temptation”. Brainstorm is one of those bands who I should like, but who just leave me flat. Andy has one hell of a voice, but for whatever reason, it consistently fails to captivate me

Cage’s “Darker Than Black”. A real strong, albeit not terribly original, Power Metal release. If you love that classic Priest sound, pick this one up.

Circle II Circle’s “Watching in Silence”. I love Zach’s vocals as much as the next guy, but this disc is terribly uneven. The first four songs are very strong, but the rest of this CD, uhhh… kind of blows.

Dead Soul Tribe’s “A Murder of Crows”. I keep waiting for this disc to sink its hooks into me and never let go. I’m still waiting.

Death Machine’s “Death Machine”. In the same vein as Meshuggah, only better.

Kamelot’s “Epica”. Not nearly as good as the previous two. There are no bad songs on here, but also none that are terribly interesting. That being said, if Khan sang the phone book, I’d probably buy it.

Masterplan’s “Masterplan”. Dear Jorn, I’m fairly certain that if you gave Tore a call, all would be forgiven. There are enough bands making completely unoriginal Power Metal. Please return to Ark at your earliest convenience. Sincerely, A Concerned Fan.

Redemption’s “Redemption”. I know this CD blew up the collective skirt of the Perpetual Motion board, but I just don’t hear it. I’ll be real curious to hear their next disc, as I’m a huge Corey Brown fan.

Sun Caged’s “Sun Caged”. There are some absolutely wonderfully beautiful moments on this disc. Unfortunately, they’re few and far between.

Zod

A very nice list there GZ! Some stuff you and I are dead on! :)

I also do this every year, I create a list of my top 10 albums. This actually started back in 1982 when I really got into music. This year was a decent year but in my opinion it could have been stronger. I am always interested to hear what other have to say about the music scene of 2003...so keep posting!

I now present my version of the Grammy's...as it should be! :)

1. Dead Soul Tribe - A Murder of Crows (Devon Graves ex-Psychotic Waltz singer has hit jackpot with this album! My album of the year! GET IT!)

2. Adagio - Underworld (what can I say about this band...incredible neo-classical progressive melodic metal with sweeping guitars and keyboards and a singer who can actually sing! Besides, the guys thanked me on this album so how can I not pick it? :p )

3. Alex Skolnick Trio - Goodbye To Romance: Standards For A New Generation (and can you believe this guitarist once played for the metal band Testament!!! Incredible jazz music of classic metal songs such as War Pigs, Blackout, Dream On and Detroit Rock City...besides I saw them live and they put one hell of a show)

4. Evanescence - Fallen (OK so shoot me, a major breakthrough for this band...put aside the Daredevil theme song and listen to the rest of the album. Singer Amy Lee has one of the purest/haunting voices I have heard since Tori Amos...even if I think they are a Lacuna Coil rip off band! ;) )

5. Opeth - Damnation (one of the very few bands with growling vocals that I will listen to because they are great musicians, this album however is so subtle and ethereal and yes folks not one growl can be found...Mikael can sing after all! ;) )

6. Mechanical Poet - Handmade Essence (not many bands from Russia that I know, Aria is one (and no I am not thinking of Gorky Park as the other) and now this band came out of nowhere and just dropped kicked my ass all the way to Leningrad... and they did this with just a 6 song EP...highly recommend! New release to be out on Code666 records. Check them out: http://glazemaker.musica.mustdie.ru/ )

7. OSI - Office of Strategic Influence (Kevin Moore ex-Dream Theater/Chromakey, Steve Wilson Porcupine Tree, Jim Matheos Fates Warning and Mike Portnoy Dream Theater put out one hell of an interesting album that must be heard!)

8. Nightingale - Alive Again: the Breathing Shadow Part IV (Dan Swano can sing, play music, compose and can do it in just about any genre he picks, he is that versatile! This album is melodic metal with just enough crunch to make you bang your head and add a few stitches)

9. Amaran - Pristine in Bondage (I don't think I have ever had 3 female fronted bands in my top 10 ever but here is #2! Hard enough, melodic enough and with some attitude!)

10. The Gathering - Souvenirs (Female fronted band #3, this band transformed greatly when Anneke the lead singer came and joined them. Great Dutch band, great album very progressive!)

Well that is it...be interesting to read your thoughts and music choices of 2003!

Cheers, Tony

I'm too lazy to make a definite list, but I would definitely include:

Rage "Soundchaser" (album of the year hands down)

Children of Bodom "Hate Crew Deathroll" (can't stop listening to it)

Adagio "Underworld"

Machine Men "Scars & Wounds" (Surprise band of the year)

Lost Horizon "Flame to the Ground Beneath"

Dimmu Borgir "Death Cult Armageddon"

Brainstorm "Soul Temptation"

Blind Guardian "Live"

and more....