Top 10 Albums of 2003

BARfest

Sep 9, 2003
Visit site
OK.. Now that the year is winding down it is time to start our list of the top 10 prog albums of the year. This is my stab at this- though it is somewhat influenced by the bands I saw at ProgPower.

Evergrey - Recreation Day- The Masterpiece! Tom did not disappoint us on this album and really seemed to have fused the hard Evergrey sound of old with a more harmonized/produced sound that resulted in their first hit locally- Im Sorry. This with the harder tracks like Blinded and my favorite- Trilogy of the Damned- Thanks for playing this at the show! Biffin rocks!

Kamelot- Epica- Khans vocals keep shining on this album- Though not as good as Karma, the combo of Edge of Paradise/Wander are to me my songs of the year.

Theocracy s/t- What a great surprise! Great to hear some more upbeat/Christian-based lyrics with incredible playing! I hope to hear him at the pre-party next year!

Secret Sphere- Scent of Human Desire- I know a lot of people have knocked this album, but Ramon's vocals keep getting better. More than Simple Emotions is definitely one of the more poppy/melodic tracks from a prog band to pop up lately. Who can forget their flag-waving performance and crowd antics at PPIV! :hotjump:

Helloween- Rabbit Don't Come Easy-This was a true return-to-form from a band that continues to surprise me- This to me is as good as any Andi Deris album w/ Helloween- The best part is that we get to see them in the US this year!

Stratovarius- Elements Part 1- I have not listened to Part 2 yet, but if it is anything like Part 1, then it will be on my 2004 list- What a sad ending to a great band we never got to see live in the US. Kotipelto at PP 5!

Adagio - Underworld- It is so nice to hear a band that really fuses classical music well with rock- They do this just as good as Sy X if not better.

Sun Caged- s/t- I loved Lemur Voice when they were around- and this was a great addition.

Opeth- Damnation- This blew me away- I am not a fan of death metal vocals, and this album piqued my interest in this band that I can now listen to them- The Pink Floyd/ 70's prog feel to it shows that this band really can tackle any kind of music!

Dream Theater - Train of Thought- Even if DT had released an album marginally better than St. Anger they would still be on my list- The fury of Awake is back, though I miss the more melodic direction in Misunderstood/Through Her Eyes etc., in 6D,SFAM.

1. Evergrey - "Recreation Day"
(Another masterpiece from Evergrey. A slightly different direction, and it is quite beautiful)
2. OSI
(a daring and bold work of avant-garde metal)
3. Sun Caged
(Scorching debut of top-notch melodic prog-metal)
4. Death Machine
(Zero Hour side-project... excellent complex extreme metal)
5. Wolverine - "Cold Light of Monday"
(a VERY different direction... quite lush and forward-thinking)
6. Dead Soul Tribe - "A Murder of Crows"
(Another great outing by Devon Graves & Co. A melding of classic and modern sounds.)
7. Opeth - "Damnation"
(Took me awhile to appreciate this. Haunting, delicate, fragile)
8. Atrox - "Orgasm"
(Bizarre female-fronted prog-metal band. Quite heavy, quirky and complex)
9. Arena - "Contagion"
(Carrying on the tradition of 80's neo-prog, a lush, epic and sparkling release)
10. Adagio - "Underworld"
(neoclassical power metal heroes release another fine platter)

Tomorrow's Eve- Mirror of Creation
Adagio- Underworld
Balance of Power- Heathen Machine
Evergrey- Recreation Day
Dream Theater- Train of Thought
Epica- Phantom Agony

I need to see my collection; I'll continue this post later!

My Top Ten Cd's Of 2003

1. Aina- Days Of Rising Doom- The Metal Opera- Unbelievable metal opera that literally makes Avantasia 1 AND 2 pale in comparison.
2. Twilighning- Finnish power metal mixed by Timo Tolkki on Spinefarm Records. Very intricate and addictive riffs. Stratovarius and Sonata Artica fans should definitely check them out. Http://www.twilightning.net
3. Insania- Fantasy (A New Dimesion) Amazing power metal. A real trat and a CD that barely left my player all year. Although Aina and Twilighning are taking more time in my CD player. Insania is my top pick of the year!!
3. Axenstar- Far From Heaven- Very cool power metal
4 Dark Moor- Dark Moor- New album from a great power metal band. New singer does a stand up job!
5. Dreamevil- Children Of The Night EP- Dreamevil rules and I picked this EP because it has the title track on it that 1. Kicks ass and 2. There is a live clip with this song and they visually crush this song and make it the best $8 I ever spent!
6. Sonata Artica- Takatalvi- In my opinion an awesome Japan EP with a stunning live video of "Broken" as well as some cool cover songs.
7. Gamma Ray- Skeletons In The Closet- What can you say about Kai and the boys? Got the Japanese import with "I Want Out" as a bonus track and the two videos rule!!
8. Axel Rudi Pell- Knight Treasures- Live Cd that is just plain amazing. The DVD is even better!!
9. Brainstorm- oul Temptation- Awesome power metal with a European bonus DVD that has agreat video and full live gig!!!
10. RUSH- RUSH in Rio- Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart. Nothing more needed to say!

Some of you will recognize this as I've posted it elsewhere in the UM world....

...just my Top 10 this time. If anyone really wants to see the full list, hope on over to http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126829&page=1 and scroll to my post, #13....just replace #11 (The Odyssey - invalid since it was released 12/5/02) with Frameshift - Unweaving the Rainbow and you're all set!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well here's mine...as far as my 'top' CD's go, this is my opinion only, based on how much I enjoyed the album...and this covers a few genres, as you'll see...

Mare's 2003 Round Up

Top 10

1. Enchant - Tug of War (no-brainer for me!)
2. Neal Morse - Testimony (moving and powerful)
3. Spock's Beard - Feel Euphoria (great fun!)
4. Circle II Circle - Watching in Silence (hope the next one is half as good!)
5. California Guitar Trio - The First Decade (these guys RULE!)
6. Jadis - Fanatic (what a find!)
7. Evergrey - Recreation Day (the only CD I ran out and bought right there at PP IV!!)
8. Theocracy - Theocracy (Matt Smith is nothing short of amazing!)
9. Balance of Power - Heathen Machine (I love Lance, but the new vocalist really rocks!)
10. Opeth - Damnation (my only CD by this band, but it is heavenly!)

Cheers!

1. Masterplan - "Masterplan" (In my opinion, the best metal album of 2003!)
2. Evergrey - "Recreation Day" (Another killer album from Evergrey)
3. Dark Moor - "Dark Moor" (New vocalist, but band still improves)
4. Threshold - "Wireless Acoustic Sessions" (A masterpiece!)
5. Winterlong - "Second Coming" (New vocalist and killer instrumentation)
6. Voice - "Soulhunter" (Just got this one. These guys kick ass!!)
7. Sun Caged - "Sun Caged" (Spacey keyboards and great vocals! Go Joost go!)
8. DGM - "Hidden Place" (These guys get better with every album)
9. Human Fortress - "Defenders of the Crown" (Forum members helped me choose this)
10. Circle II Circle - "Watching in Silence" (Great power metal! Can't wait for next album)

sorry folks, had to edit this because when I was looking through my collection of albums from 2003 this one was in the car and needed to replace one of my other choices in my progpower list... how silly of me

Here's my top progpower 10 for this year..

Brainstorm - Soul Temptation
Circle II Circle - Watching In Silence
Kamelot - Epica
Helloween - Rabbit Don't Come Easy
Nevermore - Enemies of Reality (despite production, good songs)
Evergrey - Recreation Day
//edit// CONSPIRACY - the Unknown //end edit//
Falconer - the Sceptre of Deception
Iced Earth - the Reckoning
Judas Priest - Live in London

other genre top picks;

Alice Cooper - the Eyes of Alice Cooper
Lullacry - Crucify My Heart
Children of Bodom - Hatecrew Deathroll
Anthrax - We've Come for You All
Weird Al - Poodle Hat
Type O Negative - Life Is Killing Me
Overkill - Killbox 13
Misfits - Project 1950
the Sounds - Living In America
Black Label Society - Blessed Hellride

Here is my top 30 overall heavy metal albums of 2003...

1. Grave Digger - Rheingold

2. Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon

3. King Diamond - The Puppet Master

4. Helloween - Rabbit Don't Come Easy

5. Brainstorm - Soul Temptation

6. Kamelot - Epica

7. Rage - Soundchaser

8. Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death

9. Seven Witches - Passage To The Otherside

10. Overkill - Killbox 13

11. Stratovarius - Elements Part II

12. Sonata Arctica - Winterheart's Guild

13. Cage - Darker Than Black

14. Dream Theater - Train Of Thought

15. Children Of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll

16. Lost Horizon - A Flame To The Ground Beneath

17. Agent Steel - Order Of The Illuminati

18. Destruction - Metal Discharge

19. Dream Evil - Evilized

20. Chinchilla - Madtropolis

21. Wolfcry - Nightbreed

22. Stratovarius - Elements Part 1

23. Sinner - There Will Be Execution

24. Firewind - Burning Earth

25. Nevermore - Enemies Of Reality

26. Arch Enemy - Anthems Of Rebellion

27. Circle II Circle - Watching In Silence

28. Anthrax - We've Come For You All

29. Steel Attack - Predators Of The Empire

30. Galloglass - Legends From Now and Nevermore

My Top 10 Albums of 2003 are as follows -

10. Cage - Darker Than Black
9. Children of Bodom - Hatecrew Death Roll
8. Iron Maiden - Dance of Death
7. Helloween - Rabbit Don't Come Easy
6. Mercenary - Everblack
5. Nevermore - Enemies of Reality
4. Arch Enemy - Anthems of Rebellion
3. Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon
2. Theocracy - Theocracy
1. Rage - Soundchaser

Brent

Top 10 for 2003:

1. Dream Theater - Train of Thought
(One of the best albums ever made)
2. Aria - Christening by Fire
(excellent return to form)
3. Iron Maiden - Dance of Death
(one of the best Maiden albums)
4. Apocalyptica - Reflections
(excellent change of direction)
5. Metallica - St. Anger
(Great return to metal)
6. Type O Negative - Life is Killing me
(catchy and fresh)
7. Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon
(Production is awesome)
8. Tarot - Suffer our Pleasures
(fantastic album all the way through)
9. Anthrax - We've Come for you All
(great comeback)
10. Children of Bodom - Hatecrew Deathroll
(as always excellent stuff)

Ok, here is my list. I could only think of 8 since i mostly listen to melodic death, but here goes.

1.Kamelot-Epica
2.Evergrey- Recreation Day
3.Opeth-Damnation
4.George Bellas- Venomous fingers
5.Adagio-Underworld (we are label mates with these guys)
6.Sonata Arctica- Winterheart's Guild
7.Stratovarius-Elements pt.2
8.Secret Sphere-Scent of Human Desire

www.intromental.com/pyramaze

I don't think I even picked up ten 2003 albums this year due to buying some classics and finishing off collections, and just being busy with the jobs I had in 2003. But anyway, here's my top ten:

1. Masterplan - Masterplan(this was the first album of 2003 I picked up and I am still blown away by the outcome of this masterpiece...actually was the first time I had a chance to hear the mighty Jorn Lande...and i'm still impressed)

2. King Diamond - Puppet Master(great to see a MUCH stronger and darker album than Abigail 2 and a great direction for King to be in now)

3. Kamelot - Epica(beautiful follow up to Karma and great to see 'em with Fourth Legacy-esque techniques again)

4. Arch Enemy - Anthems Of Rebellion(everyone is saying Arch Enemy is starting to sell out like In Flames did, but I think they've just gotten better. From beginning to end this album is mindblowing and totally in your face...would have liked a few more solos here and there but i'm VERY happy with the overall delivery, especially Angela's voice..sounds much more compfortable and confident now)

5. Cage - Darker Than Black(sleeper hit for me actually...I bought this album on a limb because of the great things i've heard about 'em..being a huge Priest fan it should have been a no-brainer for me, now I wanna check out their past works for sure)

6. Dreamtale - Ocean's Heart(bought this in 2004 but it definitely made my list for 2003..I don't own their first album but I really really like this one, and i'll be checking out Beyond Reality VERY soon)

7. Gothic Knights - Up From The Ashes(i've been a fan of GK for years and along with Zandelle and Magus Beast these guys put out some of the best USA power metal known to man...I was highly anticipating greatness from this album and I got it in bucketloads...the Ryche/Fates Warning vibes on the album combined with Savatage and Priest just cry for attention...excellent job)

8. Seven Witches - Passage To The Other Side(having not been a fan of Xiled To Infinity, I had doubts on this one as well..but then I learned they got James Rivera from Helstar/Destinys End on vocals and all that changed...this album should have been the follow up to City of Lost Souls for sure...all of the songs on this album are equally great and they finally found their own sound, IMO)

9. Mystic Prophecy - Regressus(this album took some time for me to get into, but when I did it hit me like a ton of bricks...I still think Valleys Eve is a tad better but Gus G definitely makes the difference on the axe and adds a thrashier edge to the album)

10. Dragonforce - Valley Of The Damned(got this album around XMAS time and immediately fell in love with it...the extreme drumming is some of the fasted drumming i've ever heard...the vocalist has a very high, clear range thats so melodic its hard to believe)

--Bill

#1 King Diamond - The Puppet Master
#2 DGM - Hidden Place
#3 Brainstorm - Soul Temptation
#4 Rage - Soundchaser
#5 Evergrey - Recreation Day
#6 Kamelot - Epica
#7 Lanfear - The Art Effect
#8 Dead Soul Tribe - A Murder Of Crows
#9 Masterplan - S/T
#10 Circle II Circle - Watching In Silence

1. Dream Theater - Train of Thought (release of the year without question)

2. Tarot - Suffer Our Pleasures (bass in intro to "Undead Son" will cut you so beware)

3. Magnitude 9 - Decoding the Soul (great stuff)

4. Silent Edge - The Eye of the Shadows

5. Sun Caged - Sun Caged ( WOW!)

6. Adagio - Underworld (need to be at PP)

7. Royal Hunt - Eyewitness (John West rules...also needs to be at PP)

8. Exhibition - The Sign of Tomorrow

9. Legend Maker - Lies Bleeding the Blind

10. Secret Sphere - Scent of Human Desire (I know, it wasn't like their 1st releases...but that thing was in my cd changer for like 4 months straight...couldn't bring myself to take it out)

Not really sure what's considered prog anymore, so here's just my top 10. :D

1. Children of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll
2. Rage - Soundchaser
3. Masterplan - s/t
4. Moonsorrow - Kivenkantaja
5. Sonata Arctica - Winterheart's Guild
6. Lost Horizon - A Flame to the Ground Beneath
7. Firewind - Burning Earth
8. Brazen Abbot - Guilty as Sin
9. Nightingale - Alive Again: The Breathing Shadow Part IV
10. Helloween - Rabbit Don't Come Easy

rising faith - the arrival
lost horizon - a flame to the ground beneath
ravage - curse of heaven
grave digger - rheingold
evergrey - recreation day
mystic prophecy - regressus
destruction - metal discharge
overkill - killbox 13
agent steel - order of the illuminati
iron maiden - dance of death

edit: forgot rage's soundchaser...hmm..take out the ravage album then because it was only a demo.

I cant really bring myself to prioritize my list on what is "best" from 1 -10...so Im just going to name in no particular order...

1. Dream Theater - Train of Thought (I really like this change of direction..it was about time they leaped out of the "metroplis" loop and try something differnet.)

2. Labyrinth - Labyrinth (Also another band I liked the change in direction...I think their sound has grew much more now that its just the five of them.)

3. Rage - Soundchaser (Enjoyed them at the PP and found their stuff very interesting..very first time I heard them too. Album is great!)

4. Secret Sphere - Scent of Human Desire (I know a lot of people liked their last album better, but I still found this one interesting. It was defintly different and unique compare to other bands. Plus its damn catchy...its like you feel guilty about taking it out.)

5. Iron Maiden - Dance of Death (Was really surprised with this album and really enjoyed it..wow.)

6. Nightwish - Century Child (To tell you the truth...I really disliked their performance at progpower for some reason, yet I have no idea why I sat all the way through it either! (And before all of you Nightwish fans jump on me...please finish reading my STATEMENT...thank you) Eh, I guess I was just trying to give it a chance or something (the music was fine..it was the singing that bothered me), but when I decided to buy the cd I was like wow, this is actually not so bad. Why did I buy the cd even though I didnt like the performance? Well one guy told me to check into their albums any way becuase, they sound better on the albums. So that's exactly what I did, I went on their website to listen to clips off of their cds and drove myself crazy over them because they were better. So I bought the album and I certainly wasnt disappointed.)

Honorable Mention: I know what you are thinking...honorable mention? What the f***? I just like to give my hats off to "Alkemyst." Becuase they surprised me when I got a chance to listen to their stuff. Iv seen plenty of bad reviews on them so I wasnt so sure, but they arent half bad. Give them a few years more of development and they may sound better...hopefully a bit more out of the all too typical power metal style and into something that will make them stand out.

And you know what...I dont buy enough albums in the year to even continue this list, becuase I dont have the money to get all the albums I want. LOL. I didnt even put everything I bought on this list either becuase I didnt feel they deserved it. I feel cheap. Sorry guys...Im going to have to cut it here. This will be my "top...er...6!"