24 hours of metal on 6/6/06: WREKage

Pellaz

Tigron of Immanion
Feb 12, 2002
Atlanta, GA
www.paulcashman.com
Yep, we got the official word from WREK-FM's station management this past Friday. I'm still in awe.

Beginning at midnight and continuing all day on Tuesday, 06.06.06, WREKage is taking over the airwaves for an entire day of metal! This has never been done before in Atlanta and is uncommon -- to say the least! -- anywhere else.

Those within 40 miles of Atlanta (or so) can tune in on 91.1 FM, as we put out 40,000 watts of powerrrr. From anywhere, you can tune into the live mp3 stream by going to www.wrekage.org (backup location: www.wrek.org ). WREK-FM was the first station in the world ever to broadcast audio over a digital network.

And, for a whole week afterward you should be able to listen to the archived stream. That'll be 48 half-hour blocks of mmmmmetal. :headbang:

Of course, we are all volunteer deejays and do this show for the love of the music, and we have no industry playlists to follow. We're also....not all that great at deejaying, but the music's the message, right? :heh:

For your part in this.... We're taking requests, as well as time-blocks to play them in. Check the WREKage website above for info and the email link. The search feature on the site will let you know if we've played the band or the song before.

WREKage has become mostly an extreme-metal show, but we've been known to play all sorts of metal...even the new Tool. Have fun and help us make radio history!

Sidenote: I have no idea when I'll be on the air. This is new ground for us. It's gonna be a helluva long day, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world! It will be hella fun!

Yea, gee, call me silly, call me crazy, but somehow I've a feeling we might play some Maiden.

Just a hunch, mind. :)

I'll go ahead and post the request info:

Email to: requests@wrekage.org --put "6/6/6 request" in the subject

Band/artist, song title, CD/album title, and a 3-hour block of time for us to play it.

As I've mentioned, the show has become more of an extreme metal show nowadays, but I've played a lot of ProgPower USA bands on it as well as other prog- and power-bands, so skim through the playlists and the Search function and see what we've played. :headbang:

I'm still in awe. They've given us the whole day!!

BenMech said:
Sweet deal Paul. How's the Renn Faire?

More than halfway over. By the last weekend it will really seem like Real Work. :) But it's been fun and I've drummed my hands off the last two Sunday nights, post-Faire.
Drum circles rule.
Drum circles where you've got one of the few really loud drums rule more...except for all that responsibility. :heh: ("I'd really like to push my hair out of my eyes, but if I quit playing, the circle will fall apart and all these people dancing will be pissed....")

Back on topic, to all, we've been getting some good requests for the WREKage 6/6/06 all-day show (Nocturnal Rites? cool!). If you send one via email, be sure to include the time you'd like it played.

Looks like I'll likely be on during the earlier part of the day (before, say, 2 or 3pm) than afterwards, since I got the whole day off and some of the other deejays will have to go to work.
Feh.
Wimps! Call in sick or something! Metal rules! :headbang: :heh:

Beyond that, I'm thinking I might play Light of Day, Day of Darkness in its entirety for only the third time ever. Maybe Crimson, too. (or II) :kickass: :worship:

Just thought I'd better give this a bump, since it's getting close. See above for making requests, listening online, listening to the archive, etc.

For those with slower connections, there is a lower-quality mp3 stream (live or archive) available at www.wrek.org .

Keep the requests coming! :headbang:

This is one of the coolest things i have heard, I am so glad you guys get to do this. I live in NC so I will be listening to the live radio, but that is good enough for me!