60s Music

I also prefer the latter part of the 60s, and most you have already mentioned the kind of bands I like from that period. But there is still some decent music from the early 60s. I'm a big Simon and Garfunkel fan in particular.

The Beatles, The Kinks, The Easybeats, Crosby Stills, Nash & Young, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Pink Floyd, Astrud Gilberto, James Brown, Aretha Franklin..... christ I just realised I could go on for a while. The 60s had a huge array of great music. The early 60s had great pop/rock & roll stuff and the late 60's had great psychedelic stuff as well as early funk and awesome soul music.

yea, the Motown stuff was fun, glad to see you refer to "soul" I remember thats what it was called but I never hear anyone use that anymore, seems its just called R&B.

Im not a big Neil Young fan but he was a good song writer and has merit as an influence. For some reason when I think of the 60's the song Sugar Mountain (if thats the title) comes to mind. Especially when I meet a woman that I can tell was an real hippy girl.

Mathiäs;6790751 said:
Agreed. They weren't really popular before he went insane because they simply weren't good! DSotM and WYwH rock hard.

I disagree about Syd Barrett, The Piper At The Gates of Dawn is an incredible album and without his influence they wouldn't have become the band they came to be. I mean, I too prefer Dark Side Of The Moon, Animals and Wish You Were Here, but there's no denying that he left a mark on progressive rock and it wouldn't have been the same without him.

I've been listening to Moody blues it's like ehm...like post- Beatles-symphonic-contemplative art rock.

And Joni Mitchell, wonderful voice there. Acoustic-Folk with wailing vocals.

Pinpoint this- "The Odessy and the Oracle" the Zombies. One of the greatest albums to come out of the 60's or any decade. "Time of the Season" Remember?