$7.99 new Blind Guardian mp3

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VON1S0/ref=s9_ri_bw_ir07?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=1H53R4YXF19553XQJF5H&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1253891022&pf_rd_i=625011011[/ame]

Not a bad deal.

And yeah yeah... "I don't want to download it, I want the actual CD"... fine.. go get it :)

And yeah yeah... "I don't want to download it, I want the actual CD"... fine.. go get it :)

No problem. Mp3 version doesn't come with a nice paper booklet to flip through. And my friends can't stare in awe at a giant shelf of mp3's. Hahahahahaha.

I kid, I kid.

It is a good deal though for people who don't require the CD and don't want to pay the same price as we fools will. :hotjump:<--Useless emoticon

I heard you can download it for free somewhere too! Amazon schmamazon. I'll stick with the actual cd too or I will have to partake in illegal downloading. I'll be a cyber criminal if they stop pressing cd's

Nope, not bad at all.

Even better, I got the "Deluxe Edition" (6 useless bonus tracks) from eMusic for 12 credits ($4.20 on my plan). 12 credits is the "standard price" for an album, so I was surprised to see the Deluxe Edition at that price. Turns out the standard edition was 10 credits ($3.50), so at least they differentiated them somewhat (I thought they might be selling the two versions at the same price!)

Amazon did the opposite when pricing the versions, selling the Deluxe Edition for *way* too much, at $14.99! I feel sort of ripped-off for paying $0.70 for the extra tracks, so I'm sure glad I didn't pay ten times that!

In general, it's just funny to see how multiple physical versions of an album are shoehorned into the electronic realm...once you're in the electronic realm, breaking up releases like that just makes very little sense, especially since there's no differentiation on packaging.

This is getting hilarious. Even when you try to jokingly preempt them, they still can't resist chiming in for no reason at all! All I can figure is that they see how much more they're paying for the physical version, and that makes them so ANNNGGRRRY that they have to speak out loud their rationalizations to reinforce to themselves why they continue to pay that premium.

Neil

If you shop at Amazon a lot, you usually stack up on digital credits so there is that advantage. Most mp3s and On Demand shows I've bought from Amazon, I got for free.

This is getting hilarious. Even when you try to jokingly preempt them, they still can't resist chiming in for no reason at all! All I can figure is that they see how much more they're paying for the physical version, and that makes them so ANNNGGRRRY that they have to speak out loud their rationalizations to reinforce to themselves why they continue to pay that premium.

Neil

You seem like a cool guy, and I mean no malice here, but your flag-waving on the MP3 issue borders on the self-righteous.

I usually post what I think are good deals here in case someone is interested. In today's economy (that bastard that has prevented me from continuing my PP experience for 2 years now) I'll save money where I can. I'm sure there's a few metal fans here that are in my boat as well and wouldn't mind spending $7.99 for an album they're going to RIP to mp3 ANYWAY to put it on their choice of mp3 player instead of $12-14.99 retail.

hehe I joke, but just because I also want to post the useless emoticon -> :hotjump:

For the record, I'd rather have the vinyl version of anything.

Neil

Ehh... no.

You seem like a cool guy, and I mean no malice here, but your flag-waving on the MP3 issue borders on the self-righteous.

Yeah, no offense taken...pretty much everything I say borders on the self-righteous....because I'm always right! :heh:

But seriously, yes, if I pop into a thread where people are talking about the cheapest place to find a physical copy of an album, and I say "hey you dopes, you can download that for a quarter of what you're paying!", then yeah, I'm being an ass. But I don't think I do that much at all, I pretty much confine my opinions to threads where the topic *is* about the pros and cons of various mediums.

In contrast, these threads have had the "CD Only!" people barging in for no reason at all.

Ehh... no.

So don't hold out on me guys, what's the better explanation? This thread (like the last one where the same thing happened, and note, I restrained myself from replying to!) is clearly titled to be of interest only to people who purchase mp3s. If you have no interest in buying mp3s, why would you even click on it, much less comment on it? It's like clicking on a thread that says "Awesome hyper-speed power metal!" and posting "Power metal sucks, I'll never listen to that stuff!"

Neil

So don't hold out on me guys, what's the better explanation? This thread (like the last one where the same thing happened, and note, I restrained myself from replying to!) is clearly titled to be of interest only to people who purchase mp3s. If you have no interest in buying mp3s, why would you even click on it, much less comment on it? It's like clicking on a thread that says "Awesome hyper-speed power metal!" and posting "Power metal sucks, I'll never listen to that stuff!"

Neil

Good question.

The funny thing Neil, is that I didn't even make a comment regarding digital copy x hard copy in this thread. I was merely disagreeing with your assessment earlier.

In contrast, these threads have had the "CD Only!" people barging in for no reason at all.

The only CD-only guy to comment merely said he prefers the CD, but it's a good deal for those who don't. That's pretty inoffensive for "barging in."

You're never going to convince them, and they're never going to convince you. Re-fighting the same battle is pointless.

I have said this before.
I think it depends on what degree of a "collector" of music that you are to some degree.

I know lots of people my age (35) grew up collecting baseball cards and comic books. As we got older, that passion turned to vinyl. I remember when the CD first camre out, it got difficult to get used to a smaller product and more importantly, smaller artwork. Then, after a couple years, you realize the convenience and portability of the format. It took me a long time to buy into MP3s as well. The primary issue was that my first couple MP3 players were lifeless and crappy models. Once I got an IPOD, my opinion changed drastically.

I will say though, while many newer bands with non-rare releases, I am fine having 100% digital formats of their releases, there will always be certain bands that I consider myself a collector of, and must have the physical product (IE - Maiden, Motorhead, Manilla Road, Trouble, Candlemass, etc).

Also, some bands have limited edition EPs or import only releases where part of the fun is actually locating a physical copy. As an old school collector, the thrill of the hunt never goes away.

an album they're going to RIP to mp3 ANYWAY

I wrestle with this ALL the time.
This is probably what leads to me buying less and less CDs every year.

There have been a couple CDs that I have NEVER listened to the physical CD, as I instantly ripped to MP3 and loaded to the IPOD.

Therefore ,I can certainly see Neil's perspective on this.

Once again though, for me personally, there are certain cases where I MUST own the physical copy.

I wrestle with this ALL the time.
This is probably what leads to me buying less and less CDs every year.

There have been a couple CDs that I have NEVER listened to the physical CD, as I instantly ripped to MP3 and loaded to the IPOD.

Therefore ,I can certainly see Neil's perspective on this.

Once again though, for me personally, there are certain cases where I MUST own the physical copy.

That holds true for me too. The bands I always buy the physical product are starting to get fewer and fewer but some will remain; Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Alice Cooper, Nevermore, Overkill, Anthrax, Megadeth, Solitude Aeturnus, Judas Priest to name a few. I think the main reasoning behind it is that I have these huge ass sections of my media wall that you could see where those bands sit on the shelves from 2 counties away. Well, maybe not so much the Solitude & Nevermore sections, but you get my point.

Good question.

The funny thing Neil, is that I didn't even make a comment regarding digital copy x hard copy in this thread. I was merely disagreeing with your assessment earlier.

Yep, completely understood. However, I thought you might have more of an explanation to give since you did make such a comment in the last version of this thread.

It's just funny how this thread is an exact repeat of that one. Someone makes a post about a good deal, several people jump in for no reason at all to proclaim that they don't like mp3s, and then someone points out how odd it was for those people to jump in.

Maybe it is really just boredom, but to an outside observer, the way people continue to jump into these threads smells of fear or over-compensating protestation. Sorry if that's a self-righteous impression, but that's the impression I get, and as evidenced in that other thread, I'm not the only one who finds it odd.

The only CD-only guy to comment merely said he prefers the CD, but it's a good deal for those who don't. That's pretty inoffensive for "barging in."

Hmm? Do you not see the posts from The_Q and TwizstedJesus? Pure reactionary "CDs rule, mp3s drool!" stuff. Combine that with Palabra's more joking take, and it's one helpful offer post followed immediately by three unrelated "mp3s suck" posts. Since that's the exact thing that happened in the last thread I referenced, I don't think it was particularly self-righteous of me to point out this recurring oddity.

You're never going to convince them, and they're never going to convince you. Re-fighting the same battle is pointless.

First, I'm not even fighting the battle in this thread, I'm fighting the meta-battle. In contrast, those three guys seem to be fighting some sort of battle, but I'm not even sure who they're fighting.

Second, I disagree with your statement that no one will change anyone's mind. People who were once CD-only buyers become mp3-buyers all the time. Surely at least some of them do it because they heard about the pros of making the switch from other people.

Neil