A Life Once Lost

Dolamite S. Biffle

Biffliest Person Ever
May 2, 2005
Atlantis
I saw these guys open for High On Fire last night and I gotta say I was surprised. I think the thing that makes them sound metalcore is more the singer then the music. I found the music to be stoner southern (Down) but also with some traditional metal tendencies at times. I look forward to seeing a whole set from these guys since I was hanging back stage for half their set with the rest of the bands since I got them some much needed "medicine".

I saw them at Ozzfest 2006 at probably 11am or so on the second stage. For some reason or another, they decided to put a side-stage pass for me in with my press passes that morning. While I had never met them nor seen them before, I shrugged and said okay, I can check them out from the stage then, too. These guys have quite a good stage presence! Even though it's 11am-ish and it's already starting to get really warm outside, they did put on a great set. Their singer also was VERY crowd-involved - he had eye contact with everyone... press people, security people, kids in the front on the barricade, people on the side of the stage, etc and really put a lot into his presence as well. This band was able to get even some of the more old-school metal friends of mine out in the audience to get into them - THAT say volumes, because normally that wouldn't happen. I could also see from on the stage that quite a few people were wandering closer to the stage area to check them out and way more than a few people nodding along with them, even the people far away from the stage. So they definitely put on a good set live. Hell, even the DRUMMER got up a couple of times to get the crowd "induced" again.

They definitely do have some southern tendencies to their sound and they have some good solos as well. They were also genuinely nice guys to talk to and were appreciative as hell for people even thinking of checking them out so damned early.

I think, even those people who don't generally listen to anything remotely hardcore/metalcore/mallcore/insert-witty-genre-name-here (including myself for the large part), you guys might be surprised how they carry over live. I never write off any band without at least trying to see them for a moment live, and if that doesn't catch me, that's fine and I wander over to the merch booth or go talk to my friends. If you're not quite that adventurous, then show up right before Iced Earth. :p

Yeah well maybe not Doom but it has that Down kinda feel here and there. The guitarist from ALOL also greatly impressed me.

I thought High On Fire played a High On Fire set. I thought it sounded pretty similar to the set I heard last time and while they performed it great I would say the last time I saw them they were better.

I liked their newer myspace songs (off of their upcoming CD) and look forward to seeing them live. Like I mentioned before, these guys caughy me by surprise.

Brand New Sin is awesome. It's not my fault you have poor taste. :)

Ha! Sorry bro - I saw them once.. I thought they were mediocre at best.
Their singer was a TERRIBLE frontman.
I saw a couple videos later too, where I thought the same thing.
They have some cool influences, just didn't think they pulled it off well.

They are broken up now aren't they?

I've seen ALOL 5 or 6 times. They always seem to open for other bands that I want to see. I have watched their whole set almost everytime. I have never been impressed by them. I've given them more than enough chances to impress me.

Brand New Sin is awesome. It's not my fault you have poor taste. :)

I saw Brand New Sin open for Black Label Society a few years back. They were indeed awesome, the have the whole "Southern Metal" sound (if it exists). They actually had a bar and bartender onstage giving them shots and brews during their whole set. I thought that was awesome.
I haven't really followed them since though.

Yeah, I am not too into the whole "Southern tinged" stuff. I really can not stand BLS. I have liked the limited amount of DOWN I have heard, if that qualifies.

The one time I saw Brand New Sin was when they opened for Motorhead and COC. I am not sure how early or late in their career that was (As in , maybe that was when they were first around)

I dont know where you're getting this southern tinged crap, it's just generic metalcore with a really weird vocalist(incredibly bad voice imho)

Black Label Society had two awesome releases. 1919 Eternal and The Blessed Hellride. I still listen to the latter one quite often.

Those 2 plus "Alcohol Fueled Brewtality" is where it's at! I followed Zakk's band very closely in the early days, the last time I saw them was a bit of a letdown, actually it was more of a "I'm so burned out on these guys" kinda feeling.
The live DVD is great, Veggie if you've never seen it I recommend it.

EDIT: The first DVD is great too (if you can find it)