Leprous-Tall Poppy Syndrome
Threshold-Dead Reckoning
Redemption- The Fullness of Time
Redemption-Snowfall on Judgment Day
Riverside- Out of Myself
Arch/Matheos-Sympathetic Resonance
Ihsahn-angL

OK, so the first thing I listened to was Leprous:

I like the music quite a bit. The clean singing is good, as are the lower, death-growl type vocals. But those mid-range shrieks are unbearable. I hate it too, because I was enjoying it up until that point.

OK, so the first thing I listened to was Leprous:

I like the music quite a bit. The clean singing is good, as are the lower, death-growl type vocals. But those mid-range shrieks are unbearable. I hate it too, because I was enjoying it up until that point.

DUDE!!!!! :headbang: the whole spectrum of vocals is what adds to the awesomeness of the band

This album just came out this past year, and if you enjoy the 70s esque prog bands. You'll love this.

another one of my favourites

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that they tried is admirable...but those mid-range shrieks are horrendous. I can't like it just because they tried...they have to (to my ears) succeed at it...and they did not, IMO.

each to their own!!

So far, my favorites have been Withem and Age Of Nemesis.

AoN keeps coming up on my Pandora station and I am starting to like them a lot.

I am just now watching the Withem video and YES!! That is killer!!! Love the vibe and the singer is killer.

I got about 6 songs into Beyond The Bridge...it's really good but the vocals aren't quite hitting me yet.

Listened to a little more Leprous...man, I would like them so much more if he ditched those mid-range shrieks. Musically and melodically, they're killer.

Also, had to go to YouTube for Kingcrow (not on Spotify or Pandora) and have only heard one song so far, but it was pretty cool also.

Through digging around on YT, I discovered Tetrafusion and got their free EP off of Bandcamp...those guys are really good AND are part of the Jamie King mix/master stable (like myself)...I dig that EP.

I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions...I'm still working through the list.

It doesn't quite fall into the "prog metal" category, but considering you did mention some non-metal prog stuff in your OP, and considering that I was listening to them this morning, I'd suggest you check out the Von Hertzen Brothers. They have a bit of a Floyd vibe, but heavier and with a lot of emphasis on melody. Their latest is Stars Aligned, which has some great stuff on it, though I prefer their earlier release, Approach.

I got about 6 songs into Beyond The Bridge...it's really good but the vocals aren't quite hitting me yet.

I listened to this some more over the weekend. I can't quite decide how I feel about it. On one hand, it's put together really well, but on the other hand some of the vocal trade-off's seem a little awkward.

If you can't tell, vocals can be a real sticking point for me.

I listened to this some more over the weekend. I can't quite decide how I feel about it. On one hand, it's put together really well, but on the other hand some of the vocal trade-off's seem a little awkward.

If you can't tell, vocals can be a real sticking point for me.

I feel the same way. If you like great vocals check out Innosense from Greece :D

Status
Not open for further replies.