A little help...

eppst1

Mar 18, 2002
Ohio
www.eppst1.com
I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but here is the situation: You've been waiting for band "Y" to release their newest disc. As soon as it comes out you are on it like a hobo on a hot dog, and buy it from your favorite store/vendor without hesitation. A week or 2 later, band "Y" releases the "special" version of the CD you bought earlier, only this time with 47 bonus tracks, 2 DVD's, and a personalized message from the band all for $1 more than the non-special disc.

This has happened to me at least twice in the past weeks (Fintroll and Sonata Arctica) and I'm getting a little annoyed, because it seems to be happening more. So does anyone know where to look beforehand to see if there are going to be any different versions of the CD that will be released?

If anyone has ideas/advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone has ideas/advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

I assume you can visit a band's website to determine if there will be more releases than just a regular CD. Amazon is another place to look to see what is (or will be) available.

These days, its not uncommon for a band to release multiple versions of the same album. Bonus tracks for various countries (Japan, for example), DVD bonus CDs, high def DVD audio, Vinyl LP, etc etc. (I'm waiting for a band to release an album on 8-Track.. ain't gonna happen, but I'm waiting) :lol:

Seriously - the reason that I hear that there are so many versions out now is that with the CD dwindiling in popularity (and online getting more popular), there needs to be "gimicks" to get the listener to purchase the CD version instead of the iTunes version. Putting a DVD with the CD is just one of the ways that the recording companies are trying to get people to buy a physical tangible product.

Sonata did have on the storefront under all the Unia preorders that there might be a special edition announced in the near future so to hold off on ordering if you wished to get that.
So yes, there are ways to find out. I rarely preorder an album without checking the band's website for what versions they are releasing.

I am glad someone else is fed up with this. It has happened to me with the Finntroll, Wintersun, Domain and Amon Amarth CD's. I saw that Korpiklanni is doing a limited edition of thier disc too. I usually check around online but I donthave time to check out every web page to see what is coming out each week. I hate not getting a new disc when I see it because I dont know if I will see it again. Maybe the best way is to start posting ahead of time to give each other a heads up. I think that would be the only way for the time being.

Have patience and wait to see if the band it's going to play that game. A month more won't kill anyone.

Wait for it to show up at a use record store?
Dunno man. Most bands say that there will be 2 versions of the disc coming out (i.e. DT with the systematic chaos). Maybe take yours to a used record store, and parlay the money you get from that into the new disc with all the extra doodads.