A little help...

Evergore

Knightrider of Doom
Jan 15, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
OK SO THIS LINE UP IS AWESOME!...I have all of the Kamelot, Edguy, & the 2 Into Eternity discs but the rest of the bands i havent heard of or just never got into but other than the bands mentioned above can someone out there suggest 1 disc from each of the other bands so i can become familliar with at least 1 disc from each band to start out...THANKS

-Wes

Tad Morose -- Modus Vivendi (new one)
Dreamscape -- End Of Silence (also their latest one)
Adagio -- Either one (Underworld is more "symphonic," Sanctus Ingus more "metallish.")
Wuthering Heights -- Far From The Madding Crowd (latest album with new singer)
Brainstorm -- Metus Mortis (just rocks)
POS -- Remedy Lane (excellent concept album)
Savatage -- Dead Winter Dead (most representative album, IMO)

Anybody concur?...disagree?

ashaman7122 said:
Adagio -- Either one (Underworld is more "symphonic," Sanctus Ingus more "metallish.")

I would agree with all but Savatage. For me The Dungeons are Calling and Hall of the Mountain King are the shit!

zinescene said:
I would agree with all but Savatage. For me The Dungeons are Calling and Hall of the Mountain King are the shit!
Yeah...zinescene...that was a tough call...I thought about recommending a classic 'Tage and then a more recent one, but I would thought I would stick to the parameters of the request.

Based upon where Savatage is at (the whole progressive, symphonic, rock opera vibe), and considering the Zak era, I would say the Dead Winter Dead is the most representative of the current Savatage sound, due to the symphonic elements, the different moods throughout the album, the excellent concept album itself, the use of counterpoint, the whole birth of TSO, etc., etc.

But...yeah...it's kinda hard to pick a "best" of Savatage. They are definitely a band that has evolved into something special (although I know a lot of older fans that just shake their head in wonderment at the current sound).

I guess, if there are people out there that don't know Sava-stuff (god forbid!), the From The Gutter To The Stage compilation is an excellent sampling of their career. Depending on which material rings your bell from that compilation, you can then determine which Savatage albums would be more to your liking.

Rock on!

The two Adagio discs are great. However, I'd suggest "Sanctus Ingus" over "Underworld". While both discs are very complex, IMO "Sanctus Ingus" is a bit more structured and "easier" to listen to. I also think David Redman's vocals are much more melodic and flowing on "Sanctus Ingus" which is the biggest reason I personally prefer it over Underworld. You can't go wrong on either disc though.

I'm really looking forward to listening to David Redman sing live. He has one of the most naturally melodic voices ever. I love his work with Pink Cream 69. David and Roy Kahn are in my top 5 vocalists of all time (Alder, Dickinson, and Tate rounding out the group).

Evergore said:
I have all of the Kamelot, Edguy, & the 2 Into Eternity discs...
I thought there were three Into Eternity albums?

Oh, and re: Savatage, I would give Gutter Ballet the edge over Hall of the Mountain King. Either way, those two are their best.

Tad Morose - Undead is the best, but the last 3 are all great
Dreamscape - I think Very is still their best disc with more neoclassical moments and much catchier, less wankery
Adaigo - good description, or just listen to symphony x
Wuthering Heights - first 2 got boring, I plan to try the new one as supposedly it is much better
Brainstorm - All great - But Soul Temptation is so catchy, so ballsy, and probably will have a lot of the songs you will hear as it is the new one. I like Ambiguity better than metis mortis, but they are all good
POS - rememby lane is amazing
Savatage - A handful of rain is worth it for the song Chance, alone. I am praying they play this. Anything but poets and madmen will be a good listen.

Into eternity has 3 discs - s/t, dead or dreaming, and new one buried in oblivion - all are great.

dave

Tad Morose - Modus Vivendi
This is their new one and one of my favorite metal albums ever. It is so perfect and I never get sick of it.

Edguy - Mandrake or Vain Glory Opera

Kamelot - Epica

Savatage - Gutter Ballet or Hall Of The Mountain King

Brainstorm - Soul Temptation

I will only answer your Savatage question........although: since absolutely anything (exception --> Fight For The Rock, skip this one!!!!) is great, the question is kinda hard to answer.

I'd say for Jon era Savatage --> STREETS
for Zak era Savatage --> Dead Winter Dead and/or Handful of Rain

If you cannot/don't want to buy so many CDs without really knowing what to expect, the Best Of compilation called --> From The Gutter To The Stage would be a good choice to give you an idea of both eras!! If you can, try and get the CD with the bonus CD that contains 4 live tracks, though I am not sure if that is available (or ever was) in the US. Check ebay, too.

I know you will LOVE Savatage, I have never met people who dig high quality metal who do NOT love them. I know Glenn does ;)

ashaman7122 said:

I don't think one can go wrong with any of the Pain of salvation cds.
I like soul temptation by brainstorm.
The new Wuthering heights is excellent:headbang:
I love the german dream theater I mean dreamscapeo_O and their new cd end of silence is excellent:Smokin:
Adagio's last 2 cds can't lead you wrong.

Recommended albums from the rest of the lineup:

Pain Of Salvation - all
Adagio - Underworld
Tad Morose - Undead
the latest from Dreamscape and Wuthering Heights if you want to familiarize yourself with them (both bands went through singer changes before them, so these will be the ones emphasized.)

I would recommend Pain of Salvation's "Remedy Lane" as well. Just be sure to give it many listens - when I first heard PoS it took a while for their music to really hit me. They are absolutely amazing though - and they are the sole reason I'm going this year. The other bands are good, but I don't know that I'd travel that far to see them : )

Maureen said:
I would recommend Pain of Salvation's "Remedy Lane" as well. Just be sure to give it many listens - when I first heard PoS it took a while for their music to really hit me. They are absolutely amazing though - and they are the sole reason I'm going this year. The other bands are good, but I don't know that I'd travel that far to see them : )
I agree, start with Remedy Lane, and keep listening even if your initial impression is not that great, I promise it will grow on you.

After that, try One Hour By the Concrete Lake, The Perfect Element Pt 1, and Entropia in that order. Some will tell try to tell you that I got the order of those first two reversed, but they don't know what they're talking about ;)

To be honest, each PoS album took a while to grow on me. Even once I had decided that I liked Remedy Lane my initial impression of the other albums was not that great at first. I think there's just so much there that it takes repeated listenings before you can really take it all in.

Good commentary regarding POS and, specifically, Remedy Lane.

I remember when I first got that album...brought it home...poured a beer...kicked back on the couch and followed through the album with the CD booklet. I got so wrapped up in trying to follow the concept, story, whatever as it intertwined through the songs, I was worn out...whew.

Then anyway...immediatly spun the thing again...just to listen...and got even more appreciation for it.

Isn't that the way it is with any good album...if it's really that easy to digest, it just doesn't stand up to repeated listenings, does it?

Rock on!

Everyone for helping me out...Im more into the power but recently ive been getting into a lot of prog stuff...from the posts I know that I have to get Remedy lane by POS and either Adagio disc but another question about Savatage I dl'd the Conversation Piece song and wondered if they changed styles bc I like that song...

GOD SAVATAGE RULE! :hotjump:

well if u like converstation piece then I say you will not have any problem with them. They will def rock hard ! Savatage always put on a great show and is the best band ever !! LOL sorry for getting to opioniated but they just F-rule!

Def Get Hall of the mt king, gutter ballet, streets, edge of thorns.. and handful of rain.. and .and ... jsut get them all!!!!

Just do yourself that favor! Jon Oliva show on Sunday wooo hooo!!

:headbang: