I love discovering new gems!

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
I love going into CD stores, looking through the used bins, and finding a gem that I've not discovered over the years. Yesterday, I was doing just that and came across two rather hard to find, out of print discs. One being Tora Tora's Surprise Attack and the other being Bang Tango's Pyscho Cafe. I use to own the cassette of the Tora Tora disc, but Bang Tango is the band that I've overlooked. So far, from what I can tell, they're fairly different from other bands from that era. Are there any Bang Tango fans here? Also, how does their latest stuff measure up to their old stuff? Lastly, what is your favorite disc by the band? :kickass:

~Brian~

The best things that I have found in the discount bins include Manowar (2 albums, can't remeber which ones) and the first Lost Horizon CD, I think I paid $0.99 for it.

That Tora Tora CD was great! I clearly remember living in Orlando when that came out (I was in the Navy and stationed there at the time) and running to the record store to buy it based on hearing their one radio hit, Walkin' Shoes. I can't remember the circumstances surrounding 99.9% of my CD purchases but for some reason I remember that one.

My favorite "unknown" discovery from a used bin was Baton Rouge. Somehow I completely missed them back in the day, but I picked up their first CD from a $1 bin about 8 years ago or so and was totally blown away. It's still one of my favorite discs.

Bang Tango was never a favorite but Dancin' on Coals rocked!

You definately picked up their best cd. There latest stuff is pretty good, but not better than Psycho Cafe. I will tell you that if you get a chance to catch them live, do so they put on a great show. I just saw them last year play with House of Lords in Ohio at a club and man was that a great show. Tora Tora was one of my favs back in the day. Surprise Attack was a killer cd. Another cd you might want to check out that I thought was underlooked was Groovus Maximus by the Electric Boys.

Joe Leste from Bang Tango is most recently in Beautiful Creatures
I was just about to say that I never got really big into Bang Tango, but I love the Beautiful Creatures. :headbang: Their self titled debut rocks my world (it was a staple in my CD rotation for the longest time) and their newer album "Deuce" is good also. On a side note - DJ Ashba of Beautiful Creatures is also one of the members of Sixx A.M. (Nikki Sixx's band).

One of my very 1st bands I was in as a teenager called GANGWAY did "Someone Like You" as a cover song. It was also the very 1st song I ever learned on bass (even though Im a drummer).

Tora Tora was pretty good. "Phantom Rider", and "Walking Shoes" are classics to some of us old hair band fanatics. Funny you mention them recently there previous unreleased material leaked onto the web.

Brian ~
Great pickup on both....on a side note, I work with Joe Leste's brother out here in California and get my Bang Tango/Beautiful Creatures updates weekly from him. As others have said, the BC cd's are worth picking up.......

I practically wore out my "Psycho Cafe" cassette back in the day. :headbang: Loved the video for "Someone Like You".

Embedding is disabled for this video....if you click play it says the video is no longer available, but if you click on the "You Tube" link at the top it should take you to the video page.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Someone Like you" is one of the most kick ass Hard Rock tune - EVER. I immediately went out and bought the album after seeing the video way back when on Headbangers Ball. Their other albums didn't do as much for me as Psycho Cafe though.

My favorite "unknown" discovery from a used bin was Baton Rouge. Somehow I completely missed them back in the day, but I picked up their first CD from a $1 bin about 8 years ago or so and was totally blown away. It's still one of my favorite discs.

I'm with you there... those Baton Rouge discs are awesome - both the self-titled debut and Lights Out on the Playground! I seem to recall that they recorded a bunch of songs written by a guy named Jack Ponti for that second record at least and that they borrowed a ballady song that Ponti wrote with Babylon A.D.'s vocalist Derek Davis called "Desperate." At the time it was odd to me because I bought both CD's around the same time and thought that one band had ripped off the other! :lol:

Sorry to temporarily hijack the thread... we now resume our regularly scheduled programming.

Baton Rouge was great!!! Totally dug that singer...

Two other discs I have from that area that I thought were pretty much blown over and missed - Cry Wolf's Crunch and Beau Nasty's Dirty, But Well Dressed... I still play the hell outta those two on the Pod...

Baton Rouge was great!!! Totally dug that singer...

Two other discs I have from that area that I thought were pretty much blown over and missed - Cry Wolf's Crunch and Beau Nasty's Dirty, But Well Dressed... I still play the hell outta those two on the Pod...

YEAH! I love that Cry Wolf CD! "On The Run" is the SHIT!

On the topic though, I can not stand Bang Tango. Never "got" it and I gave that CD more than ample opportunities. I traded it and a Dangerous Toys CD at a Pawn Shop for Heaven's Edge's self-titled which blows me away still! Can't get enough of that CD.

Heavens Edge, Baton Rouge, Cry Wolf, Beau Nasty? Now we're talking.

Lets throw in some Banshee, XYZ, Babylon A.D., Wildside, Cold Sweat, Letter X, Keel, and Lillian Axe to the mix!