A Melodic Rock band for Prog Power?

Daybreaker

Red, Hot, and Heavy
Jul 6, 2002
San Antonio, TX
Visit site
I was wondering if any of you out there other than me would like to see a Melodic Rock band at a future Prog Power, bands like Jaded Heart, Pretty Maids, Bonfire, Pink Cream 69, Axxis, Harem Scarem, Dreamtide, stuff like that.

We have had the deathy stuff before as the "oddball" so what about the opposite? Granted these bands arent entirely "soft" no Bon Jovi isms here but I do think that either of the aforementioned groups would go over really well. Hell, we came really close to one with Balance of Power back at PP II.

Ben

Ben, I think that's a great idea. I'd love to see PC69 in particular. Anything at all similar to BoP would rock my world, in all actuality. Then again, I may be biased as I tend to prefer the more "melodic" stuff anyway. :)

My guess is that a band like that would go over pretty well, too.

PC 69
Magnum
Ten
TNT
Hughes/Turner - Either one solo or as HTP
Crown of Thorns(Jean Beauvoir)
...just to name a few.

Good suggestion Ben. I would love to see a more melodic band at PP. Just a personal note, I would rather have a melodic/hard rock band at PP than one that leaned more toward death metal...with cookie monster vocals. I completely agree with LS, I think a band like PC 69 or TNT would go over very well. I hope Glenn considers it.

...oh yeah, a couple more:
Cornerstone
Talisman

Hell, we need a melodic rock festival...hmm.

PC69 would be awesome and those who were hoping to get their Adagio cd's signed last year will get the chance this year!!!

I say enough with partial death oddball bands!!! (Unless of course Glenn is able to get Epica!!!).

I think most of the bands that play at PP are "melodic", but what do I know. Maybe the definition of it is different for some people. I personally like the heavier bands like Into Eternity and Mercenary.
It really doesn't matter to me but I love the thrash/death stuff! :headbang:

I completely agree. Enough death oddballs for awhile. Let's do something on the softer end as our oddball this year. Either melodic rock or a softer progressive rock like Spock's Beard.

Cast my vote for Pink Cream 69 as well. Their new album, Thunderdome, totally blows away most everything I've heard all year.

lady_space said:
Ben, I think that's a great idea. I'd love to see PC69 in particular. Anything at all similar to BoP would rock my world, in all actuality. Then again, I may be biased as I tend to prefer the more "melodic" stuff anyway. :)

My guess is that a band like that would go over pretty well, too.

PC69 would be a hoot. I know their last four discs or so really well, and they are about as fine of a band that you'll find in that genre. Plus, Readman would be great to finally hear live.

Britt

PC69 is okay. I'm thinking even softer, like Terry Brock. Back to Eden got great reviews even on metal sites despite the fact that it was AOR.

Or maybe Pride of Lions, or Mecca, or Westworld.

Im surprised at the PC 69 love on this board. I'm curious though, did most people here get into them cos of Davids association with Adagio or have you been listening to them for awhile?

I only have one album, "Electrified". I got it based on a review from a site that unfortunately no longer exists, melodicmetalworks.com way back in 1999.

It's actually reverse for me. I got Adagio because I knew Readman's work from PC69. Except for "Second Sight" I didn't like it to much. Don't like PC69 much either except for a few songs from "Electrified". But I'm sure they'd be good live. Didn't care much for Tad Morose or Brainstorm either before I saw them live. Probably still won't buy many albums but I'll certainly pay to see a show.

Not sure why they can't seem to capture the same energy in the studio. Seems like they have to many effects on their studio albums, kind of negates the raw energy they have live.

Daybreaker said:
Im surprised at the PC 69 love on this board. I'm curious though, did most people here get into them cos of Davids association with Adagio or have you been listening to them for awhile?

I've been listening to PC69 since the late 90's or so. I think they would have been huge in the USA in the late 80's/early 90's. They would have went over big on shows like the old Headbangers Ball.

As for Adagio the only thing I liked about them was David's voice. Now that he's gone I doubt I'll follow them any longer.

I bought their album 'Electrified' and was hoohed, pun intended, right away. Great music, with serious hooks, and top notch production. Readman's vocals grabbed me right away. Vocals are usually one of the most important elements that will grab my ear. A great singer can make a suck-ass band sound almost listenable. :Spin:

SHAKRA!!!!!!!!
Shakra slays every band mentioned in this thread. No offense to those bands because they are all good but Shakra is awesome. If you haven't heard them check out there two most recent albums, Rising and Power Ride. They are both perfect melodic hard rock albums. We need to get this band over to this side of the pond!!!

PS wouldn't mind PC69 or Pretty Maids but I really want to see Shakra.

Daybreaker said:
Im surprised at the PC 69 love on this board. I'm curious though, did most people here get into them cos of Davids association with Adagio ?
YES!

Great thread!! An awesome melodic rock band would make my day! That is my biggest complaints about the ProgPower and Bravewords festivals...both are kick ass...but the chance to see a solid melodic rock band would be fantastic.

PC69, Loud and Clear, Ten, From The Inside, Vaughn, Tyketto, Shakra, DOGPOUND, Bonfire...any of those or the previously mentioned on this thread.