A Melodic Rock band for Prog Power?

Big Al 2112 said:
SHAKRA!!!!!!!!
For a second there I thought you said Shakira...
PF_919275.jpg

...which would be fine with me:worship:

I would love to see Pink Cream 69 at ProgPower. I'm a huge fan of theirs. I went to Germany to see them play, and I'm planning to see them again in January. I got into them after I heard their album Electrified. I found out about Adagio because David Readman was with them, and looked forward to their album before it was even released. I was very disappointed that David wasn't at ProgPower this year; I had really looked forward to seeing him again.

I would also love to see PC69, Harem Scarem, or Shakra. Been a fan of PC69 since the singer for Helloween was fronting them, great band. Harem Scarem is incredible as well.

Daybreaker said:
Im surprised at the PC 69 love on this board. I'm curious though, did most people here get into them cos of Davids association with Adagio or have you been listening to them for awhile?
The BoP guys were kind enough to turn me on to PC69 after PP2.0. I started with Endangered, and have worked my way forward and back in their catalog. I still only have the Redman-era discs, but they're all pretty good. Would love to see them at PP, though I'd prefer BoP. :)

--Mike

Man I dunno. Balance of Power was great when Lance was fronting them and so was the Ritchie vox debut, but Heathen Machine left me wanting after my initial excitement. They seem to have too forcefully turned their backs on their hard rock elements which is a damn shame.

Ben

Thank you!
A melodic hard rock band would be awesome to see at this show! A lot of the bands mentioned already would be very welcome additions to the roster, especially Pink Cream 69 and Hughes-Turner. Actually, I think it would be just as cool to have an instrumental act on the bill. For as many times as I've seen Tony MacAlpine, I've never seen him play his solo stuff. I think something like that would go over pretty well, at least for an opening slot.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

I'm all for it, even though I've never heard of 1/2 the bands mentioned in this thread, but hey, that's what net searches are for and soundclips.

Anyone ever hear of a band called Seven Wishes (no not a Night Ranger tribute) but I'm guessing they'd fall into this category.

Why stop at Dogpound? Get King's X even though I didn't like their last 2 releases. Ty Tabor's 1st solo disc was pretty good.

Big Al 2112 said:
SHAKRA!!!!!!!!
Shakra slays every band mentioned in this thread. No offense to those bands because they are all good but Shakra is awesome. If you haven't heard them check out there two most recent albums, Rising and Power Ride. They are both perfect melodic hard rock albums. We need to get this band over to this side of the pond!!!

PS wouldn't mind PC69 or Pretty Maids but I really want to see Shakra.

well that's like, uhhh, you're opinion... man

Met-Al said:
Actually, I think it would be just as cool to have an instrumental act on the bill. For as many times as I've seen Tony MacAlpine, I've never seen him play his solo stuff. I think something like that would go over pretty well, at least for an opening slot.
Instrumental band?

Ozric Tentacles for PPUSA 6! :Spin: :tickled:

(I say that half-jokingly, but they're twice as hard and heavy live as you'd expect from hearing them on CD. :))

adaher said:
Seems like we are near unanimous for a hard rock oddball instead of a death oddball?
furthermore, i really don't see a melodic hard rock band as being that "oddball" of a thing to throw into a festival like this. I think they could be included without being considered "odd." which is fine by me, i like melodic rock. But Mercenary and Into Eternity have been 2 of my favorite progpower performances, and both were very well received. people who hate death metal can be happy with the 9 other bands and let us who love them have our one opening or second slot act to enjoy without taking too much festival time.

Ryan (my 2 cents)

adaher said:
Seems like we are near unanimous for a hard rock oddball instead of a death oddball?
((Bonks Miller Lite beer on monitor))
Let's have both !!!

And yes... a melodic rock band is not that far of a stretch to be considered odd with the other bands Glenn books beind the most obvious differences are the hooks and lack of fast double bass. :dopey:

Enchant is an excellent choice, but I don't really think they'd be an oddball. They fit in pretty well with the Progpower concept.

But certainly a good choice for the show.

Daybreaker said:
Man I dunno. Balance of Power was great when Lance was fronting them and so was the Ritchie vox debut, but Heathen Machine left me wanting after my initial excitement. They seem to have too forcefully turned their backs on their hard rock elements which is a damn shame.

Ben
I've never thought of BOP as a hard rock band; I think of them as a melodic power metal band. I also think that Heathen Machine is their best cd yet. Maybe because it is more metal and less rock.
I would love to see them at PP again. I was disappointed in their performance last time; it was clear that Lance hadn't rehersed with the band for months (he was way off). Now with the whole band in England, they'll have no excuses.

As far as having a rock band at PP, I would definitely prefer to keep this an all metal festival. I think their should be a seperate hard/prog rock festival because there are too many bands out there and only 10 slots. If we start having hard/prog rock bands, there will be a lot of great metal acts that we will miss out on. I really don't feel that bands like Spock's beard and Enchant belong at a metal festival (but then in my opinion POS doesn't either; although I'm fine with prog METAL bands like Threshhold and Vanden Plas being included).