A new Blind Guardian release

I'm still waiting on eMusic to make it available. However, thanks to KingsGene's post I've been listening to it a few times, and I do like it. A lot.

The last time Blind Guardian played ProgPower was 2002. Time is time again, don't you think Mr. Harveston?

I'm still waiting on eMusic to make it available. However, thanks to KingsGene's post I've been listening to it a few times, and I do like it. A lot. The last time Blind Guardian played ProgPower was 2002. Time is time again, don't you think Mr. Harveston?

That is totally up to them. They have had a standing invitation for a decade

My favorite BG album is Nightfall. I also love And then there was Silence. Upon an initial listen I think this new material is at that same elite level.

This album is fucking incredible and I'm really sorry that so many of you are getting it wrong. :p

I loved it at first listen, and I've probably listened to it about 10 times over the past week. Snagged the FLAC files from NB's website today after playing it over and over on Spotify. This album is a STEAL for $13, and is the album I've been waiting for for 11 years now. I couldn't take Twist, and I wasn't huge into Edge, but this... This is something else. This I could listen to over and over and over.

Got the 2-CD digi with 4 Bonus Tracks. What an incredible album. It took me 3 days to digest what was going on in Disc 1. Amazing layers of harmonies and orchestration. Disc 2 is amazing as well.
You know, the usual BG album-- easily contender for album of the year!

That is totally up to them. They have had a standing invitation for a decade

Blind Guardian would help sell out another year with a "special set" - think, an album in its entirety plus another set of career-spanning tunes. Don't know which album would be the best choice...because they have about three or four that I think are untouchable and great front to back.

Blind Guardian would help sell out another year with a "special set" - think, an album in its entirety plus another set of career-spanning tunes. Don't know which album would be the best choice...because they have about three or four that I think are untouchable and great front to back.

It would absolutely have to be Live.

This is a good album, no question about that. However, there isn't a single song on it that makes me want to listen to it. I keep telling myself I should listen to the album again, but I shouldn't have to do that.

All the bitching about the length of this CD reminds me of the uproar over Iron Maiden's last disc, "The Final Frontier," which is another epic disc loaded with epic tracks. When bands like BG and Maiden have been around for 25-30 years, fans really need to look at new releases in the context of the bands discography as a whole.

Without question, the new Blind Guardian is A LOT to try to listen to and digest in one or two listens. Obviously, that wasn't the band's intention. They will alienate some fans, but I think the fans who can accept this disc for what it is – a real "long player" – are going to enjoy it much more than those fans looking for a quick "hit." In that regard, music is quite like a drug – some act immediately and some take a couple of weeks to take full effect.

Too many people these days want it all, and they want it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received my copy of the cd and I'm already on the third listen. I am no longer depressed. BG is back and this shit rocks!!!!

See??? You guys are gonna have to quit listening to the freakin' goobers on this board!

Just kiddin'...kind of. :wave: That's one of the most baffling things about this place. Some of the people whom I know for a settled fact have musical tastes pretty close to mine will sometimes hear something so RADICALLY different that I wonder if maybe their sound system is defective. Oh well. I should have long since given up trying to figure that out.

All I can add is keep listening to it over and over. The more you listen, the more stuff jumps out and grabs you. :D

I've had a week to digest this album. It's a fantastic release! Their best since "A Night at the Opera." At this stage in their careers, I think it's the best we can expect from Blind Guardian- fans longing for another "Nightfall in Middle Earth" or "Imaginations from the Other Side" should really know better by now.

Standout tracks for me so far are "Prophecies," "At the Edge of Time," and "Miracle Machine" (this song in particular gets stuck in my head).

All I can add is keep listening to it over and over. The more you listen, the more stuff jumps out and grabs you. :D

I have....over and over again....haven't stopped. "The Holy Grail" and "The Prophecy" are two that really jump out at me. The more I listen to "Grand Parade" the more I like it. If you only listen to this CD one time, then you're missing the complexities you're suppose to hear. They truly took this to another level.

Anyone else getting glitchy rips from this disk? My Grand Parade refuses to cooperate. A buddy of mine had the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin G View Post
I'd rather they take this long and give us albums that are worth the wait than crank out mediocre albums every 18 months.

This. Blind Guardian is basically my favorite band of all time, but if they had said At the Edge of Time was their final album - I would've been thrilled. Would've been the perfect conclusion to their studio albums. I really have no idea where they could POSSIBLY take their music from here on out, and I really hope they don't ever become mediocre. I guess we'll see what happens! I just hope I get a chance to see them another 10+ times in my life, since i've only seen them once so far and Hansi's turning 50...

And how old is Bruce again? :) I agree with Justin too. But as far as 'where can they possibly go now' you have to remember the Euro power metal scene is firing on all 8 now... lotta new and extremely energetic bands. Even Hansi recommends Steelwing as one of the best ever. And also, BG plays fests and other concert dates with these new bands. So you have this trading off... the young bands get BGs experience/mastery of the art, BG gets these young band's enthusiasm and energy, plus some new ideas/attitude. I'm very positive of how the new BG will sound, with the great atmosphere they're involved in now. This should be good.