A question for those hardcore Labyrinth fans

Met-Al

Oct 12, 2004
Does anybody here own a copy of the "Piece Of Time" EP? If so, are the versions of the songs on the EP different from those on the "No Limits" LP? If not, I think I'll give up my search for this disc, as it seems nobody wants to give up their copy. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Met-Al, I want the EP so bad myself. For 9 months I searched ebay 4 times a week for it and finally when I gave up, I was going through someone's "bought" list and saw it was on auction 2 weeks after I gave up my search. Since I never owned the EP, I can't be sure of your question, but I really think so because on the No Limites LTD, they have the songs from the EP there.

I have 'Sons of Thunder' original, I believe.

Empress said:
I have 'Sons of Thunder' original, I believe.

If you're not sure, then you don't have it... it was never officially released. Neil Kernon never wanted it to be spread around, but he did CDR it for a few people, and one (or more) of them eventually leaked it out. The only way you can find it is through unofficial channels.

That said, I've always wanted to hear it myself, but I kept forgetting to get it from friends who have it.

Bryan316 said:
Wait... they re-mixed Sons of Thunder? I couldn't stand the sound of the drums on my copy... did they fix it?

No, that WAS the remix. NK did the original mix, and it was too "heavy" (or something) for Olaf, so he redid it, poorly. The result is what was released.

The NK mix blows Olaf's out of the water. From what I understood of the incident, it was an ego problem mostly on Olaf's side. They definitely should've released Neil's mix as it's excellent (as always).

On the other hand, it did good to Olaf because he got his act together after that incident and gave us two marvelous Vision Divine discs.

Cheers!

Steve

I've never heard the Piece Of Time EP, but since I'm not a big EP fan, and I already have all those songs on No Limits anyway, I never really bothered looking for it.

As for Sons Of Thunder, I didn't have a major problem with the final mix. It wasn't a fantastic mix by any means, but it didn't hamper my enjoyment of the songs, which are very good IMO.

That said, the Neil Kernon mix is definitely sharper and more precise, in the sense that the clearer separation between instruments makes for a less muddy, harder-hitting overall sound. Also the keyboards are less up-front than they are in the final mix. So it does sound different. But I also don't want to give the impression that there is a *huge* difference.

In some parts, there's actually not that much of a difference between the 2 mixes, while in other places, like the intro of the title track, it is mixed rather differently. While I'd rate Kernon's mix better overall (mostly because it's simply sharper), I can actually see some places where Olaf or the band might have had a problem with it. There are indeed some sections where the final mix comes off as more "melodic".

Sumeet said:
I've never heard the Piece Of Time EP, but since I'm not a big EP fan, and I already have all those songs on No Limits anyway, I never really bothered looking for it.

As for Sons Of Thunder, I didn't have a major problem with the final mix. It wasn't a fantastic mix by any means, but it didn't hamper my enjoyment of the songs, which are very good IMO.

That said, the Neil Kernon mix is definitely sharper and more precise, in the sense that the clearer separation between instruments makes for a less muddy, harder-hitting overall sound. Also the keyboards are less up-front than they are in the final mix. So it does sound different. But I also don't want to give the impression that there is a *huge* difference.

In some parts, there's actually not that much of a difference between the 2 mixes, while in other places, like the intro of the title track, it is mixed rather differently. While I'd rate Kernon's mix better overall (mostly because it's simply sharper), I can actually see some places where Olaf or the band might have had a problem with it. There are indeed some sections where the final mix comes off as more "melodic".

We certainly don't hear the same things. To me it's night and day. Olaf's mix feels so amateur and muddy.

It's been a while I haven't spun K's mix but I remember thinking that I could finally hear the keys and the guitars were heavy and sharp.

To each his own I guess! :headbang:

Steve

Stevie WOnder said:
We certainly don't hear the same things. To me it's night and day. Olaf's mix feels so amateur and muddy.

It's been a while I haven't spun K's mix but I remember thinking that I could finally hear the keys and the guitars were heavy and sharp.

To each his own I guess! :headbang:

Steve

I pretty much agree in general with what you're saying... I just don't find it to the same degree. The Kernon mix is sharper, and the eventual final mix is muddier. But I don't think the final mix was *that* bad. I didn't find it to be a "night and day" difference... maybe more like midday and late afternoon. :)

Sumeet said:
I pretty much agree in general with what you're saying... I just don't find it to the same degree. The Kernon mix is sharper, and the eventual final mix is muddier. But I don't think the final mix was *that* bad. I didn't find it to be a "night and day" difference... maybe more like midday and late afternoon. :)

Hehehe!!!

I was so hoping for the follow-up to RTHD who sounded like a ton of bricks and we get this crappy mix. K's mix gave it a very close sound which wasn't the case for Thorsen's mix.

We can argue a long time on this one but let it be in front of a cold one at PP USA. Deal? :kickass:

Steve

np: Oceansize - Everyone into position

Stevie WOnder said:
I was so hoping for the follow-up to RTHD who sounded like a ton of bricks and we get this crappy mix. K's mix gave it a very close sound which wasn't the case for Thorsen's mix.

I agree there... after the brilliant Return To Heaven Denied, and hearing that Neil Kernon was going to be working on the next Labyrinth album (which seemed like good news at the time), I was a bit put off to the whole thing when the whole controversy arose on the internet, and then again when I heard the less-than-stellar final mix of Sons Of Thunder. On balance, Kernon's mix was superior, and the band should have released that one... but overall, I'm fine with how things turned out. Maybe it's just because 6 years have passed, or maybe it's because both Labyrinth and Vision Divine have each gone on to put out excellent albums since then, but the whole Sons Of Thunder mixing situation doesn't annoy me as much anymore as it did at the time. :)

Stevie WOnder said:
We can argue a long time on this one but let it be in front of a cold one at PP USA. Deal? :kickass:

Looking forward to it, man! :headbang: :headbang:

i actually own the PIECE OF TIME EP....

I realize this has been out of print forever and I have never seen it on auction or whatnot but Sentinel steel.. has a mailorder plus used cds for sale and one day I was browsing through their used cds in stock that people trade back and forth and I couldnt believe what I was seeing! I totally emailed them right away so no one would take the copy and it was all mine!

I also own Sons of thunder... but im not sure its the version you speak of. I own a version that I never encountered before. It has 16 tracks on it. I think its some kind of special one .. cuz i never seen it anywhere else or heard about it... So weird but I got it =P

And i know .. Empress wants it haha

:lol:

Since you own the EP, can you tell me if those versions are the same as the ones on "No Limits?" I appreciate the responses from the others, but no one has given me a concrete answer.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al