New TSO "Letters From The Labyrinth"

TwizstedJesus

Mar 1, 2004
I thought I'd spend the day with old friends Jon Oliva and Paul O'Neil, just to see what the hold up on this disc was.

Not much good to say about the disc. Sound wise, it's like a sterile, clean sounding Savatage. Not enough crunch and balls and not enough chance taking. It stays close to formula when they are in their symphonic christmas'y glory. When they branch out and play some of the more rock/radio friendly stuff, they sound like just another generic band. With as much money that was in the budget, this disc just sounds so boring and middling.

Vocally is where I was most disappointed. There is nothing here that makes me want to hit replay. This disc is pretty much a spin-once and dispose. The 1st thing that interested me on the entire disc is "Past Forgotten", but as soon as the female vocals jump in, I gave up on the song. When they dig into the Savatage past with the outtake from the Streets era, "Stay", I think I just want to give this disc to the next person I see walking by. They rely on female vocals wayyyyy too much. Not that they are bad singers, there just isn't enough variation. The song "Not The Same" has a Savatage feel to it, reminding me of "Somewhere in Time/Believe, but without the pompous, powerful driving guitars. Maybe a bit like the outtake "Desiree", but with female vocals again.

As you can probably tell, I am a Savatage fanboy and I am comparing this to what Savatage might sound like today musically. I miss the crunch and balls of Jon Oliva/Criss Oliva/Al Pitrelli/ Chris Caffery/Zak Stevens era. To me this is almost as much of an outrage as TSO doing old Savatage songs.

Time has moved on without a Savatage to help me carry-on. The lyrics on the final song sums this up 100 % perfectly.

"The passion we once had is fading...into the whirlwind of our lives"

For TSO to headline at Wacken, the ground zero of metal, and then only a few months later to release something as you describe is confusing. We would like to believe TSO has a target audience in mind with this new release, but who would that be?

Night Castle was beyond awful. Have not listened to TSO since...anything....just turned me off to no end. Clip or two I have heard of this do absolutely nothing for me. They are dead to me....lol.

Night Castle sucked really hard, but I'll still go back and listen to Beethoven's Last Night occasionally. Since I'm not actually into xmas music at all, I don't tend to listen to most of the albums anyway. I'll still go see them in concert just for the spectacle. I have probably seen TSO on average, every other year since forever, but passing this year.

I saw TSO this past weekend and their live show is still entertaining, but you can tell the energy isn't as high as it once was. Seeing Zak Stevens perform with them was for sure the highlight for me. I was hoping that LFTL wouldn't do too well, sales wise, so that maybe they'd put something out decent again. No such luck, so TSO will continue to put out this watered down version of itself from here on out. There's a huge difference between the quality of the music and production when comparing their first two with their most recent releases.

I saw TSO this past weekend and their live show is still entertaining, but you can tell the energy isn't as high as it once was. Seeing Zak Stevens perform with them was for sure the highlight for me. I was hoping that LFTL wouldn't do too well, sales wise, so that maybe they'd put something out decent again. No such luck, so TSO will continue to put out this watered down version of itself from here on out. There's a huge difference between the quality of the music and production when comparing their first two with their most recent releases.

I noticed this too a few years ago when I saw them in Jersey...dang...think it is like 5+ years..
Show energy seemed flat then....almost like they were sleepwalking though it (not really but you get the thought).
Have not seen them since.

I do hope for something solid will some day again come from this band, at least on the order of their first three releases.
Till then, I am still tickled that they are all doing so well.
Se whether or not I like what they are doing musically, I truly hope that they continue doing well...great bunch of people.