"Believe" in the TSO Setlist

Thanks for the link! While "First Snow" isn't one of my favorite TSO tracks, I always look forward to hearing it in concert...because I *love* watching the newbies react to the special effects. :)

We were in the third row, and it was definitely the most elaborate light show I've ever seen. Granted, a week before I took my wife to see Madonna (shakes head . . . a VERY different experience). Madonna had tons of moving sidewalks, fiber optics, video screens everywhere. That was probably a lot more money. But, in terms of pure elaborate lights, TSO wins.

Someone on Caffery's forum posted that they loved the TSO version, so they checked out the Savatage version, and thought it was too fast!

I have the impression that Tim Hockenberry is on the TSO-E tour solely to perform "Believe."

Does he do any other vocals during the second half? I didn't notice any, and he doesn't do any during the first half of the show.

You're correct. Other than the chorus, that was his only role. As for the speed, well, I understand the need to slow down the song a bit for the masses. I would love to know how it played out to the general audience. I did notice a few other people mouthing the words at the show, but I am sure most people had never heard it.

Steve in Philly

Granted, a week before I took my wife to see Madonna (shakes head . . . a VERY different experience).

Steve in Philly

You poor soul. What did you do to deserve that sort of punishment? :lol: I despise everything that woman is about and stands for! :puke: She's about as anti-American as a person can possibly get.

~Brian~

I was ecstatic when I heard from Chris Caffery that they'd be doing this. Unfortunately the guy they have singing Believe does a shitty job, not matching 1/100th of the power and emotion of Jon Oliva's performance.

I was ecstatic when I heard from Chris Caffery that they'd be doing this. Unfortunately the guy they have singing Believe does a shitty job, not matching 1/100th of the power and emotion of Jon Oliva's performance.

I think that's being a bit harsh.

I love Jon and all, but Tim Hockenberry does a pretty good job with it in Jon's absence. Since Jon has the option of performing it live with TSO-East (he was at the Atlanta show, and others), I have to assume Tim's efforts meet with his approval.

And "Believe" got me teary-eyed, so clearly he's doing something right. The song is basically the only reason why he's along on the tour, so kudos to him for bringing Criss' legacy to a wider audience, and kudos to TSO for making the effort to bring yet another performer along on an already-crowded tour. :worship:

DTJeff, the guy that is singing "Believe" kicks its ass! Granted, it's different than Jon's, but in a good way.

~Brian~

Sorry guys, I have to disagree. I really do not like the performance at all, and neither do any of the other Savatage fans amongst my group of friends. I'll give him props for trying, but the fact that he's only there to do that song is another strike against them for me. I feel if they were bringing someone especially for it, they could've gotten someone much better than that.
When I saw Jon sing Believe I cried, when I saw this guy sing Believe I got angry.

Sorry guys, I have to disagree. I really do not like the performance at all, and neither do any of the other Savatage fans amongst my group of friends. I'll give him props for trying, but the fact that he's only there to do that song is another strike against them for me. I feel if they were bringing someone especially for it, they could've gotten someone much better than that.
When I saw Jon sing Believe I cried, when I saw this guy sing Believe I got angry.

Well, TSO is slightly different than Savatage, considering there is a full staff of broadway esque singers on the roster. With that said, I think it's unfair to expect an all out metal rendition of the song Believe to please a handful of Sava fans at each show. Regardless of what you and your group of friends think, the guy delivers what he's been asked to by Paul O'Neill and Co.

~Brian~

I was at the Izod Center show and it was pretty awesome. Lights are rediculous and the show has a ton of energy. And this was a hard rock show all the way. I like the way Paul ONeil is sneaking in two more Savatage songs to an unsuspecting crowd. With a captive audience already its bound to get some people into Savatage's music. Prelude to Madness changed the whole vibe to heavy metal and I think it took many by surprise. The fire on stage was an excellent. You can tell this was what Paul ONeil envisioned for the song when it was initially recorded by Savatage.
Anyone know the whole setlist?

I was at the Izod Center show and it was pretty awesome. Lights are rediculous and the show has a ton of energy. And this was a hard rock show all the way. I like the way Paul ONeil is sneaking in two more Savatage songs to an unsuspecting crowd. With a captive audience already its bound to get some people into Savatage's music. Prelude to Madness changed the whole vibe to heavy metal and I think it took many by surprise. The fire on stage was an excellent. You can tell this was what Paul ONeil envisioned for the song when it was initially recorded by Savatage.
Anyone know the whole setlist?
Damn, I wanted to go to that! Heard Steven Tyler was the guest. What songs did he do?

Well, TSO is slightly different than Savatage, considering there is a full staff of broadway esque singers on the roster. With that said, I think it's unfair to expect an all out metal rendition of the song Believe to please a handful of Sava fans at each show. Regardless of what you and your group of friends think, the guy delivers what he's been asked to by Paul O'Neill and Co.

~Brian~

Alright I said nothing about it not being "metal" enough. I respect TSO' "schtick" so-to-speak, but they could have better matched the quality and power of the original performance/vocalist and still kept it very much within the "safe" region for TSO.

Alright I said nothing about it not being "metal" enough. I respect TSO' "schtick" so-to-speak, but they could have better matched the quality and power of the original performance/vocalist and still kept it very much within the "safe" region for TSO.

I'm with you-I absolutely did not care for the performance at all. But I have to tell you, we are in the minority-most Sava fans say they like it. Which to me is blasphemy. So many great songs they could have done, and they (Paul) picks the one probably most associated with Jon.

When I saw Jon sing it though, I ended up laughing-cause right in the middle of the song, he happened to catch Rothney having a shot-and he stopped the song and started harassing him-it was hysterical. I love that man!

Wish he would have been the special guest singing it at one of the shows though. Guess there is still time for that.

I'm with you-I absolutely did not care for the performance at all. But I have to tell you, we are in the minority-most Sava fans say they like it. Which to me is blasphemy. So many great songs they could have done, and they (Paul) picks the one probably most associated with Jon.
quote]

Sav is my favorite band, and it wasn't blasphemy to me. I saw JOP this summer, was four feet from the band, and was amazed at how well Jon was singing. No, the TSO version doesn't match that. However, to me it is a way to get some great music to the masses. I still smirk when I hear Christmas Eve on the radio and think that this is a heavy metal instrumental that is still so popular. Anything that gets 'Believe' and songs of that ilk played before 20,000 people can't be a bad thing.

Steve in Philly

When I was at the Savatage convention (that seems so long ago!!), they polled every band member there (Jon, Paul, Doc, Johnny, Chris and Al - Zak and Jeff didn't make it), and BELIEVE was ALL their favorite Sava song. Chance was a distant second.

I wish I could see the east group this year - they stole the west's violin player (Anna Phoebe - what a GREAT Talent!!) and Johnny Lee. Oh well - Petrelli and Fareese still put on a great show!!

Chris :headbang:

Sav is my favorite band, and it wasn't blasphemy to me. I saw JOP this summer, was four feet from the band, and was amazed at how well Jon was singing. No, the TSO version doesn't match that. However, to me it is a way to get some great music to the masses. I still smirk when I hear Christmas Eve on the radio and think that this is a heavy metal instrumental that is still so popular. Anything that gets 'Believe' and songs of that ilk played before 20,000 people can't be a bad thing.

Steve in Philly

+1...:kickass:

~Brian~

Blasphemy my ass! It's one of the most beautiful songs ever written in my opinion, so what's wrong with bringing it to the TSO masses? It's not like I know Jon personally, but I'm willing to bet this idea had his blessing. Paul and Jon have worked together for years and are now very successful. TSO has been in the making since the late 80's. Criss and Jon both were mixing metal riffs with orchestration as far back as HOTMK. I promise you that Criss Oliva would be playing lead guitar in TSO if he were here with us today.

~Brian~

TSO (or any other band for that matter) can play any song that they want to, regardless of who gives their "blessing" or not. Plus, Jon is just as much a part of TSO as Paul O'Neill is, so it's not like anybody needs to give their blessing.

I'd be willing to think that anyone Savatage-relaetd is happy to see such a personal song sung to packed arenas 2x a day.

Whoa, chill out dudes! Just my opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

Oliva is by far my favorite singer. I went to two JOP shows this tour. Heard Jon sing it. Was very impressed.

Went to see TSO twice. Heard Tim sing it. Not nearly as impressed. Many people were. Good for them. Some may even check out Savatage. Even better. I do know that the mention of Savatage at the TSO shows is not exactly getting a huge response.

As for Criss playing in TSO-again, in my opinion-no way. I just can't see Criss in a tux playing Christmas tunes three months out of the year. I would have hoped that he would have gone on to bigger and better things than that.

I guess I'm just not much of a TSO fan-which why I laughed so hard at what Jon said at the JOP show in Cleveland-"Ever hear of the Trans Siberian Orchestra?" (loud cheer)-"well, fuck them".

This went on way too long, and it is not my intent to piss people off. If you do enjoy TSO and this version of Believe, there are a couple of very good quality boots out there-check 'em out if you can.

saw TSO in Bham, al last nite...no 'Believe' just jeff scott soto. if it werent for the lights burning my retinas i'd have been asleep. this TSO west or whatever came thru birmingham sucked!