Jon Oliva's comment on no Savatage reunion

As a huge fan of Savatage since the early 80's,I've seen the highs and lows,Criss' death followed by Alex Skolnick(what a nightmare!),the emergence of Caffery as a God,Frostie with his energy and Damond Jinaya blistering the old material with his awesome fucking voice,to the promises of a live DVD to this....Nothing! Since Paul O'Neil took over we've seen stylistic changes,and Savatage had become a puppet for him.The band became 2nd page news after Trans Siberian and it was only a matter of time before they buried it.I feel bad for Jon,because Trans Siberian is not what was keeping Criss' spirit and memory alive,and either is JOP even if they are using Criss' unused riffs.JOP wasn't here when Criss was alive'it has nothing to do with the past except Jon.
The fact that Savatage is not coming back is no surprise.The reasons are obviously led by TSO.We'll get over it and hope for Glen to pull off some magic every year at ProgPower time...we can always dream

Fucking lame.

I doubt there will ever be another Sava release. I also feel for Damond Jiniya. They should have released at least one album with that guy. Damn.

+ 1

He was positively amazing when he fronted Savatage here at the Cotton Club. :kickass:

As a huge fan of Savatage since the early 80's,I've seen the highs and lows,Criss' death followed by Alex Skolnick(what a nightmare!),the emergence of Caffery as a God,Frostie with his energy and Damond Jinaya blistering the old material with his awesome fucking voice,to the promises of a live DVD to this....Nothing! Since Paul O'Neil took over we've seen stylistic changes,and Savatage had become a puppet for him......

I get a little tired of the Paul O'Neill bashing, too.

When I saw TSO a few years ago at Gwinnett Arena, Paul was hanging out near the merch and autographing tables, but not sitting behind them out of respect for the people who had actually performed that night. (He was also wearing jeans and leather jacket, a sharp contrast to the tuxes and dresses being worn behind the tables. :) )

He was signing autographs for people...and acting as a sort of anti-merch table even while standing about 15 feet away from them. "Hey, nice to talk to you!" *Turns to the heavily laden woman standing behind him.* "Give 'em a couple of t-shirts. Think a medium will fit your kid?"
He was handing out t-shirts and programs to all and sundry, with priority to the kids since it was getting late on a weeknight.

The capper came right before we spoke to him. A woman got his autograph and mentioned something about her church and TSO being an inspiration for their childrens' charity work. Without missing a beat, Paul pulled out his wallet, fished out a crisp $100 bill, and gave it to her. "This is for the children," he said solemnly.

We were floored. I'm not sure whose mouth dropped farther, hers or ours. :worship:

There are a few more important things in this world than a much-revered metal band we'd all like to see re-form.

I just hate that a great metal band was destroyed because a side project recorded a freakin Christmas album. Let's hope Transatlantic never covers Frosty the Snowman.

Just how long do you think Savatage would have been able to hold on, if they were constantly losing money? When music is your "job", you have to do whatever you can to pay the bills. As stated in the responses previous to this one, it's pretty obvious that there's a lot more to it than sentiment, & the all mighty dollar.

Folks;

Why all this talk of a Savatage reunion when you already HAVE Savatage......in the form of TSO??? Look, all bands evolve in one way or another: Therion was death metal, In Flames was Gothenberg Vocals, Deep Purple was metal. Sav only evolved into something that became metal's answer to Cirque du Soleil. So, why not enjoy it while you can?

Folks;

Why all this talk of a Savatage reunion when you already HAVE Savatage......in the form of TSO???

From a purely devilish viewpoint, I must say it's a helluva lot of fun seeing audiences of all ages enjoying a TSO concert. Quite a few of their songs -- especially during the second segment of the show -- really do rock pretty hard, and it's pleasing on a gut level to see kids getting into, basically, thinly-disguised metal songs. :headbang:

During the autographing session I mentioned that aspect of the show to JLM and whoever was sitting next to him: "If TSO encourages even one kid to pick up a guitar or a bass or a drum-kit or a mic, instead of a crack-pipe or a gun, then it's gotta be seen as one little victory." "Absolutely!"

huge bummer... but I saw it coming a mile away.
Yea, hasn't this been obvious for quite awhile? There hasn't been any sign of a Savatage tour/recording for a number of years. Regrettable, but that's the way it goes.

+ 1

He was positively amazing when he fronted Savatage here at the Cotton Club. :kickass:

The fact that Savatage was even playing in The Cotton Club and The Outer Edge before that should stand as stark testament as to how small Savatage was. As talented as they are, as revered as they may be in the underground, they couldn't make a decent living doing it. It should be fairly obvious that their time and energy would be put into a project that allows them to play to 15,000+ in two seperate venues on the same night as opposed to 150 people in a bar.

I get a little tired of the Paul O'Neill bashing, too.

When I saw TSO a few years ago at Gwinnett Arena, Paul was hanging out near the merch and autographing tables, but not sitting behind them out of respect for the people who had actually performed that night. (He was also wearing jeans and leather jacket, a sharp contrast to the tuxes and dresses being worn behind the tables. :) )

He was signing autographs for people...and acting as a sort of anti-merch table even while standing about 15 feet away from them. "Hey, nice to talk to you!" *Turns to the heavily laden woman standing behind him.* "Give 'em a couple of t-shirts. Think a medium will fit your kid?"
He was handing out t-shirts and programs to all and sundry, with priority to the kids since it was getting late on a weeknight.

The capper came right before we spoke to him. A woman got his autograph and mentioned something about her church and TSO being an inspiration for their childrens' charity work. Without missing a beat, Paul pulled out his wallet, fished out a crisp $100 bill, and gave it to her. "This is for the children," he said solemnly.

We were floored. I'm not sure whose mouth dropped farther, hers or ours. :worship:

There are a few more important things in this world than a much-revered metal band we'd all like to see re-form.

He was also handing out silver dollars to the kids at that show. Although those behind the tables had already changed into t-shirts and jeans as they always do, your point is well taken.

If Savatage was a money loser, and TSO is a money maker, then people should stop bitching about John not keeping the former band alive.

Jesus, the guy has a family to feed--feel good that he has a gig that pays!

On the one hand, we have people bitching about the demise of metal, and on the other people bitch about musicians who wake up and realize there are other outlets for their talent...

Stop acting like spoiled little kids who got one cup of pudding and want mom to make another when she has better things to do.

The fact that Savatage was even playing in The Cotton Club and The Outer Edge before that should stand as stark testament as to how small Savatage was. As talented as they are, as revered as they may be in the underground, they couldn't make a decent living doing it. It should be fairly obvious that their time and energy would be put into a project that allows them to play to 15,000+ in two seperate venues on the same night as opposed to 150 people in a bar.

He was also handing out silver dollars to the kids at that show. Although those behind the tables had already changed into t-shirts and jeans as they always do, your point is well taken.

Yeah i heard about Paul pulling the $100.00 Bill out at gwinnett center that time i wasn't there i wasn't even familier with TSO at the time or not very well heard one or 2 songs, but since i have met all of them and been treated real well. As far as Savatage goes if they gone they gone nothing none can do they were an awesome band and we have their cd's to always listen too, Heck if TSO was paying my bills i would go with it, plus JOP so you know between the both ALOT of money is coming in, and to stand and see TSO and the Members of Savatage standing up there playing in front of 10's of thousands of people everynight, Like Johnny lee Middleton, Chris Caffery, and Jeff Plate he's been with Savatage a long time after Dr Kildrums left. they gotta be happy to play arenas. I know some think TSO is a sellout and won't put nothing new out but it will be here. but everyone has to admit thats saw them how incredible their show is..And atleast TSO will keep Savatage or atleast some of it alive cause its just like hearing Savatage playing Christmas music and Beethoven cause all you gotta do is put Savatage Dead Winter Dead in and what do you have? the Beginning of TSO. we all wish Savatage would tour again but it won't happen but we still have the members out there most of them R.I.P Criss Oliva. So TSO and JOP can carry on and put on a awesome show every year.And also pick up Chris Caffery's solo stuff it is good.:headbang:

Folks; Why all this talk of a Savatage reunion when you already HAVE Savatage......in the form of TSO???

sorry - have to disagree with you here... the true spirit of Savatage has been reincarnated into a little something I like to call Jon Oliva's Pain. :heh:

JOP sounds more like old school Savatage than TSO does or ever will in my humble -and probably solo- opinion.

I like TSO at this time of year and no other. JOP I can enjoy year round and think back to the good old days and true metal sounds of Dungeons', 'Mountain King, Streets, and everything in between. Those were my favorite years. Anything recorded after that by Savatage I can live with or without. Yeah, it's all good, but nothing beats Sirens LIVE!

:worship:

Personally, I love going to see TSO every year. Luckily I have had the opportunity to see Savatage. Once on the Hall of the Mountain King tour and once on the Poets and Madmen tour (and yes, Damian did kick butt). I've also had the oportunity to see the WoMD and C2C at PP! I love ALL of it! Jon is an AWESOME guy and I know he is doing what is best for him and his bandmates. Its so sad to se Jaxx only half-filled when Savatage played there, but to see almost 12K at Verizon Center in DC this past Sunday was nothing short of amazing. As was their playing AND their light show!! As much as we would like to hold onto the memory of Savatage and the fantasy f them continuing, we should be happy that it has splintered into so many awesome units that all still have a strong flavor of good ol' 'Tage!

And yes, JOP is VERY true to the old Savatage sound!

By the way, for all the 'Tage and TSO fans...if you ever have the opportunity to check out O'2L live...I highly recommend it. Now THAT is some kick-ass off-season touring...

Rock on!

GREAT live band – I saw them in Cleveland on St. Patty’s day last March. And you never know with an O2’L show when an additional guest or two from TSO might make an appearance.

+ 1

Yep, there are numerous stories of Paul O’Neill committing Random Acts of Kindness. He really does embrace the message expressed in “Old City Bar”:

“If you want to arrange it
This world you can change it.
If we could somehow make this Christmas thing last.

By helping a neighbor
Or even a stranger
And to know who needs help
You need only just ask

I don’t always agree with his decisions – particularly some of the personnel changes in the touring ensembles in the last couple of years. However, there’s no denying that he’s a music fan at heart. Fans get the huge light show because he was inspired by bands like Pink Floyd when he was growing up. Also, TSO does an M&G after most performances because Paul said he “always wanted to meet the band” when he was a kid.

Sad news about Savatage, though.

I've seen Jon say something like "I've got (some number) of Gold & Platinum records on my wall, and not one of them says "Savatage" on it..."

TSO is not just O'Neill...it's a joint operation w/ O'Neill & Oliva...

To hear everybody telling stories,Savatage was losing money....one word...BULLSHIT! Did they make millions? No.But were they bleeding money every time they went on tour...not on your life!TSO certainly puts food on the table,but at this point...Jon never has to work again and he is set.Hes feeding the little Sava birdies like Middleton and Pitrelli by keeping the TSO ball rolling,but they ain't starving either.They've become accustomed to the life that TSo gives them,and back to buses and 100-200 people shows is not where they want to be.
Nothing against any of them;I'm proud to say I've been there since the beginning.Just the fact that 25th anniversary talk was like teasing a fatty with a bacon cheeseburger pissed me off.They knew that it was getting less and less likely,but they hung that doggie treat out there anyways.The metal scene will never forget the great Savatage,but TSO doesn't make up for what once was.

I've seen Jon say something like "I've got (some number) of Gold & Platinum records on my wall, and not one of them says "Savatage" on it..."

TSO is not just O'Neill...it's a joint operation w/ O'Neill & Oliva...

...and Kinkel & Pitrelli.

I find it to be total bullshit that they can't at least fit in some Savatage festival performances or something. They all seem to find time to do their solo projects or to play in other bands.

I basically blame O'Neill for this. The TSO project is a huge money maker for him, so it's his number one priority. I don't blame him for making it his priority, but geeze, at least keep the Savatage spirit alive, some how, some way. If he truly wanted to make it happen, he could do it.

As a fan of both Oliva's and O'Neill's, I respectfully say......bullshit guys! :Smug:

Just for the record, I haven't went to a TSO show since 2004. It will run it's course one of these days fellas.

~Brian~

Straight from the Mountain King's mouth at PP "TSO pays the bills, and I gotta eat". Gotta remember that these guys are professional musicians making a living playing music. If all they did was Savatage, I'd probably see Jon delivering pizzas in my town since he lives here.

You can't blame them for that.

Straight from the Mountain King's mouth at PP "TSO pays the bills, and I gotta eat". Gotta remember that these guys are professional musicians making a living playing music. If all they did was Savatage, I'd probably see Jon delivering pizzas in my town since he lives here.

You can't blame them for that.

Agreed. I'm not a big Savatage fan but would enjoy seeing them. However, I'd do the same thing in their position.

"If TSO encourages even one kid to pick up a guitar or a bass or a drum-kit or a mic, instead of a crack-pipe or a gun, then it's gotta be seen as one little victory."

Or dancing on the roof of a moving car with no one behind the wheel.