Jon Oliva's comment on no Savatage reunion

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Glad its cleared up.

In other news, Jon Oliva has issued the following statement regarding the current status of SAVATAGE:

"It has become necessary for me to set the record straight about any possible future SAVATAGE concert performances.

"After careful consideration by me, management and members of the band, I would like to make an official statement about the state of SAVATAGE.

"The TRANS SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA is growing at an amazing rate. Our second non-Christmas record ('Nightcastle') will be released [next] year. Following that, TSO will immediately begin recording its next Christmas record while also planning for year-round touring and possible overseas performances.

"As a further result of the ever-growing popularity and demand for the TSO brand, SAVATAGE is not planning to do any future concert appearances. TSO has become a year-round responsibility for all of us and the future looks to be increasingly more demanding. Therefore, it is not possible for us to shut down this massive operation in order to perform SAVATAGE shows.

"We hope this puts to rest any speculation that SAVATAGE will be returning to the stage

THIS BLOWS BIGTIME!!! What happened to the 25th anniversary tour he promised us?

I find it to be total bullshit that they can't at least fit in some Savatage festival performances or something. They all seem to find time to do their solo projects or to play in other bands.

I basically blame O'Neill for this. The TSO project is a huge money maker for him, so it's his number one priority. I don't blame him for making it his priority, but geeze, at least keep the Savatage spirit alive, some how, some way. If he truly wanted to make it happen, he could do it.

As a fan of both Oliva's and O'Neill's, I respectfully say......bullshit guys! :Smug:

Just for the record, I haven't went to a TSO show since 2004. It will run it's course one of these days fellas.

~Brian~

While i can't deny that TSO is huge....that would be complete denial, but as other people have mentioned about people having time to do solo shows with their bands and other bands, i really doubt there is no time whatsoever to do at least some savatage shows. As for the nightcastle album....that's been promised to be released for over 2 1/2 years now. I'm not holding my breath.

I like JOP and i have nothing against them, but i would much rather see Caffery, Stevens, Middleton, etc. on stage performing the classic 'tage tunes. This won't stop me from enjoying the JOP performance, but I'm highly disappointed in everyone involved right now

...oh yeah, one more thing...Christmas Eve Sarajevo originally came from SAVATAGE, not the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

I'm a little pissed off by this post if everyone can't tell.....

~Brian~

I am tremendously happy that Paul, Jon, Al, etc. all found commercial success, fame, income and everything else that comes with the TSO package. Good for them, it's like winning the lottery, and you can't blame them for milking it for all it's worth.

That being said, one has to wonder about all the bullshit surrounding Nightcastle. What is the big fucking deal? When is it ever going to be completed or "good enough" to be released? You would think that they would have wanted to keep forward momentum going and release that album in a relatively timely fashion, then backing it up after another reasonable timeframe with another X-mas album, like they have always indicated they were going to do.

It's the same statements made year-after-year making plans that never come to fruition. First it was some Beethoven touring, then Nightcastle and more plans for "off-season" touring and elaborate productions. But...another year goes by, and it's another TSO X-mas tour with the same promises rehashed for the upcoming year (that probably won't come to pass either).

My wife and I have attended every single year that TSO has toured, and it is the highlight of our Christmas season. The past 3 or 4 years, they have produced the exact same show, with minor FX changes, but it's still damn good to see. I wonder how long they can keep that up, however... Will their 15 minutes of fame expire before they can ever unleash Nightcastle upon the buying public? My expectations of this album are so high now, the album cannot possibly impress that much...

Every year, I see more TSO fans around me, so, obviously, they're picking up new fans as the years go by. The music will be timeless and will be available for years to come in every music store, Wal-Mart, and K-Tel truck stop display. From Jon's statements, however, they treat it as a business, and rightfully so, but, to this long-time fan, they seem to be mismanaging that business, that model, that "product"...into stagnation.

By the way, for all the 'Tage and TSO fans...if you ever have the opportunity to check out O'2L live...I highly recommend it. Now THAT is some kick-ass off-season touring...

Rock on!

I did note on the TSO's website that Jon Oliva as a co-composer for TSO was involved in the 'Hard-Rock band' Savatage. A more commercially acceptable description for the TSO fans, I guess. Didn't someone talk about the sad reality of the music business for this type of music in another thread recently? Cut them some slack, and enjoy JOP.

This blows. I'm not surprised in any way, but it still blows.

Thank god for the WOMD show at PP a few years ago, as I guess that's the closest I'll ever get to seeing a Savatage show. Yeah, that's right, despite being a fan of the band since the Avatar days, I never had the chance to seem them live. Which also sucks.

Anyway, who knows, maybe they'll be able to squeeze out a one-off show sometime between sessions of helping Paul O'Neill coulnt his money...

dt