Jon Oliva's comment on no Savatage reunion

Nightcastle = Chinese Democracy

Agreed. I will be very surprised to see if this happens, but you never know could be that TSO in contracted to put that out at sometime???

I'm bummed about there not being a reunion at this time (Notice I said "At this time.") Fingers crossed that it will happen someday.

Face it, for as hard as it is to say this, most people that go to a TSO show prolly have no clue who Savatage was/is. Every now and then I will see the occasional 'tage shirt worn there. Mainly, it's become a Disneyland experience for families.

I love TSO and will still stick to my rule of trying to see them every other year.

Can't blame these guys for wanting to provide for themselves and families with the sure bet that TSO offers.

I find it to be total bullshit that they can't at least fit in some Savatage festival performances or something. They all seem to find time to do their solo projects or to play in other bands.

I basically blame O'Neill for this. The TSO project is a huge money maker for him, so it's his number one priority. I don't blame him for making it his priority, but geeze, at least keep the Savatage spirit alive, some how, some way. If he truly wanted to make it happen, he could do it.

As a fan of both Oliva's and O'Neill's, I respectfully say......bullshit guys! :Smug:

Just for the record, I haven't went to a TSO show since 2004. It will run it's course one of these days fellas.

~Brian~

Some of you may remember or may have read a interview from sometime last year where Jon basically said that Savatage wasn't making any kind of money releasing albums and that management didn't support anything outside of TSO. Jon said at some point he had to decide to pay bills and spend time with his family once in a while. These are not direct quotes but I think you get the point. I love savatage (I'm from Tampa) and Jon especially but what can you do?:erk::headbang:

I am tremendously happy that Paul, Jon, Al, etc. all found commercial success, fame, income and everything else that comes with the TSO package. Good for them, it's like winning the lottery, and you can't blame them for milking it for all it's worth.

100% agreed

its like people show anger towards jon for the TSO stuff. TSO is what he wants to do, be glad you got the amount of savatage you did!

im glad that the guys are making their own, there are more TSO fans out there than savatage fans anyways.

it sucks, but seriously if you are going to show any kind of anger to any of the band members... thats just lame

100% agreed

its like people show anger towards jon for the TSO stuff. TSO is what he wants to do, be glad you got the amount of savatage you did!

As mentioned before, after reading last years interview I didn't come away with the feeling that Jon wasn't interested. Infact there was talk about the 25th anaversary stuff but that has come and gone. I would settle for a couple of new tracks and a DVD box set. That would be sweet! Jon are you listening?:headbang:

I don't understand all the bashing going on here. The members of Savatage have long since gone their separate ways, and anyone who honestly thought the band was still together clearly hasn't been paying attention. Now, instead of Savatage, a pie which Paul O'Neill had his fingers all over, Jon's doing JOP, which Paul has nothing to do with. Paul bashers, take note and rejoice! And if that wasn't bonus enough... he's using old Criss material! And he's got income from the TSO project to keep the metal stuff going. Sounds like a win/win, to me.

I just hate that a great metal band was destroyed because a side project recorded a freakin Christmas album. Let's hope Transatlantic never covers Frosty the Snowman.

Face it, for as hard as it is to say this, most people that go to a TSO show prolly have no clue who Savatage was/is. Every now and then I will see the occasional 'tage shirt worn there. Mainly, it's become a Disneyland experience for families.

...very true...most of the peeps on chris' message boards only heard/know about him through tso...

Our second non-Christmas record ('Nightcastle') will be released [next] year. Following that, TSO will immediately begin recording its next Christmas record while also planning for year-round touring and possible overseas performances.

That's what they said last year!

And the year before and the year before and the year before. I stopped believing.

It's the same statements made year-after-year making plans that never come to fruition. First it was some Beethoven touring, then Nightcastle and more plans for "off-season" touring and elaborate productions. But...another year goes by, and it's another TSO X-mas tour with the same promises rehashed for the upcoming year (that probably won't come to pass either).

My wife and I have attended every single year that TSO has toured, and it is the highlight of our Christmas season. The past 3 or 4 years, they have produced the exact same show, with minor FX changes, but it's still damn good to see. I wonder how long they can keep that up, however... Will their 15 minutes of fame expire before they can ever unleash Nightcastle upon the buying public? My expectations of this album are so high now, the album cannot possibly impress that much...

Every year, I see more TSO fans around me, so, obviously, they're picking up new fans as the years go by. The music will be timeless and will be available for years to come in every music store, Wal-Mart, and K-Tel truck stop display.

Yep, Yippee and I have been going every year since the first year until this year. They used to play such cool venues but they play the big arenas now. It's the EXACT same show every year, same outfits, same choreography, same second set, song for song. More lights and more fire, but otherwise the exact same thing.

It's sad to say, but I'm over it. I really didn't even miss it this year. How sad is THAT?

And the year before and the year before and the year before. I stopped believing.

Yep, Yippee and I have been going every year since the first year until this year. They used to play such cool venues but they play the big arenas now. It's the EXACT same show every year, same outfits, same choreography, same second set, song for song. More lights and more fire, but otherwise the exact same thing.

It's sad to say, but I'm over it. I really didn't even miss it this year. How sad is THAT?
Nick and I stopped going for pretty much the same reasons.

The show was so much nicer when they did it in a symphony hall. (We didn't even mind paying the extra bucks for it.) And we too got tired of hearing that next year the show was going to change, or next year the new album would be out, or next year ... "next year" never came. We stopped buying TSO tickets 2 or 3 years ago. It started with Nick saying that he was boycotting them until the next Savatage (in whatever form that would be) album or tour came across the radar, but alas it has become more and more obvious of the very slim chances for that ever happening. I follow suite with him when I started to realize that the stage show, however entertaining, was becoming stagnant.

My perspective changed slightly after having a chance to talk to Chris Caffery at the Flight of the Valkyries festival this summer. Nick was venting to me the week before about how Jon and Chris and the guys just don't care about Savatage anymore because they can make all the money they ever dreamed of off of TSO. So why bother with Savatage?

As we talked to Chris, though, it became abundantly clear that he did miss playing with Savatage, but that playing with TSO paid the bills and allowed him to do things he also enjoyed (and might have never had the opportunity to do without the support of TSO) like his solo project, since things with Savatage had been on hiatus for some time. Although he didn't come right out and say it, I also got an impression that it has become harder for Jon to continue doing music under the name "Savatage" without his brother. Maybe Chris has changed his mind since then (or just come to terms with the situation), but when we spoke he seemed all for doing more music with Savatage. (This is only my interpretation of one members perspective. I don't really know about the other members since I've never talked to them on the subject.)

The music for JOP is pretty much the style that Savatage would be if the band had continued recording. Plus when they play live, they play a good amount of Savatage songs. The only thing you are missing is the majority of the actual members of Savatage, which is disappointing non-the-less, but at least we are not completely loosing the opportunity to hear a great classic metal band's material. I guess all us die-hards can do, is hope for a change in heart from Jon and the guys in the future, and for now, appreciate that we are not being completely cut off from a band whose material we love. :headbang:

I don't know why anyone is suprised by this as it's really a reiteration more than a new statement. Earlier this year, or late last year, Jon stated that there was no more Savatage. TSO is making money for the other members, so it was their focus. He also said that basically he, by way of JOP, was Savatage. In that statement he said he had more right to use the name Savatage than any other member, but he wasn't using it out of respect for the others.

I don't know why anyone is suprised by this as it's really a reiteration more than a new statement. Earlier this year, or late last year, Jon stated that there was no more Savatage. TSO is making money for the other members, so it was their focus. He also said that basically he, by way of JOP, was Savatage. In that statement he said he had more right to use the name Savatage than any other member, but he wasn't using it out of respect for the others.

agreed. I thought I remembered the same.

As a Savatage fan and someone who misses Criss terribly, I myself have had a hard time enoying Savatage as a band since he passed away.
I have had a hard time enjoying it and I NEVER EVEN MET CRISS.
Anyone who thinks that wound is closed and healed over for Jon is a complete fool.
He cried in my arms after that show Wednesday night. :cry:
You people need to stop treating the situation as though Jon is some corporate whore, or worse yet, a puppet.
He has his reasons.
Leave the man to his business.

I don't understand all the bashing going on here. The members of Savatage have long since gone their separate ways, and anyone who honestly thought the band was still together clearly hasn't been paying attention. Now, instead of Savatage, a pie which Paul O'Neill had his fingers all over, Jon's doing JOP, which Paul has nothing to do with. Paul bashers, take note and rejoice! And if that wasn't bonus enough... he's using old Criss material! And he's got income from the TSO project to keep the metal stuff going. Sounds like a win/win, to me.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

When talking with Johnny Lee and Al etc the impression I got (and pretty much what Johnny said outright) was that it was hard to get together that much time to do a one off show (I specifically asked about ProgPower, as I do every year lol - this year I was wearing my JOP shirt when I went thru the lines).

I offered up what I consider to be a perfectly logical solution - play all 3 nights (and they can do some karaoke as well) - that should solve the problem. He laughed, but I think I saw a light bulb go off over top of his head. So I will not abandon hope. Good things come to those who wait (well except those waiting for Chinese Democracy lol). Nightcastle is supposed to be out in the summer - so they probably wont even be able to tour for that (originally the most recent delayed update was out in the spring, tour in the summer) - I think they will just end up touring at the same time every year and just incorporate any new stuff into the Christmas shows anyway.

Blindly optimistic,
Jeff