A thread about Michael Romeo I started on the Petrucci board

I saw that thread myself...I jumped ship on that conversation when someone said Michael Romeo does sloppy palm muting!????
I personally prefer Romeo's tone to Petrucci's even if it is a "cheap" rig. He smokes Petrucci in technical performance, studio or live. I am a DT/Petrucci fan, but Romeo is a better guitarist. I liked his tone on Odyssey too. What do you guys in here think?

Seriously, I couldn't care less about the tone. Romeo has a control over the instrument that I've never seen before. And JP is good with the technical stuff, but to me he doesn't touch Romeo. And JP also puts me to sleep, I find MJR much more exciting.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I was laughing when one guy said that Symphony X has been releasing the same album for a decade. "The Oddysey" and "V" are so much alike:rolleyes: :D :zombie:

JP is a better song writer, a better all around guitar player, and is in a band where he has the freedom to do basiclly anything. He doesnt confine himself to one or two styles of music, and his solos IMO say much more than any Romeo solo. Romeo is more of a heavy metal shred guitarist, which theres nothing wrong with, but after a while it gets tiresome and bland. Petrucci has shelled out LTE1 and 2, double albums, epic albums, and IMO his best work, playing in the acoustic improve duet with Jordan Rudess. Petrucci can and HAS done soo much more than MJR, both as a musician and as a guitar player.

As far as tone goes, Petrucci's rig is godlike, Ive seen Dream Theater a hit load of times, and JP has always had an amazing live tone, Romeos live tone is great too, but Im still goin with JP on this one.

Originally posted by Thorns of Sorrow
JP doesnt confine himself to one or two styles of music, and his solos IMO say much more than any Romeo solo. Romeo is more of a heavy metal shred guitarist, which theres nothing wrong with, but after a while it gets tiresome and bland.

I agree, but at the same time Romeo does find a way to make his guitar parts new and exciting. I agree with everything you said about JP though.

I can understand people thinking JP is more diverse (ie. jazz leanings etc.) and having a better rig (he probably has more money and endorsements), but I cannot see how people think he is the better all-around guitarist. Romeo is so much better technically...tapping, sweeping, legato, economy, and he is easily on par with him in alternate picking-Petrucci's one above average trick. I know I will get a lot of flaming from this thread but oh well.

Economy picking is hard to explain...I am not the most technical player around, but it is a kind of mix of alternate and sweeping. You do the up and down movement of alternate but then you smoothly move it down onto the next string on the appropriate up or down stroke. Yngvai X could probably explain it better. Michael Romeo does it a lot and does it very well. He demonstrates it on his video too. It has a very smooth, fast feel to it when it is done well. Michael Angelo does it quite a bit too I believe. Any input Yngvai?

IMO Petrucci doesnt have the technical skils of romeo ... but for me thats not relevant in music, for me its the way it sounds good in my ear, and petrucci is one of those guitar players that doesnt need 100 fast picked notes to make an incredible solo.

and that comment about petrucci's improvisation skills being nonexistent were truly lame

Petrucci may be the god of all things guitar... but his songwriting for the past 7 years has been very weak... just look at "Six Turds of Inner Turbulance".

Kind of unrelated, but I just saw that someone started a Michael Romeo vs. Timo Tolkki of Stratovarius debate on the Timo Tolkki forum. Well it was going the way those things always go when the moderator (Timo himself) chimed in and said "for what it is worth, Michael Romeo is a much better guitarist than I am!" Now if Petrucci would just cry uncle as well, it will all be settled. Ha ha. Just kidding, I thought that was pretty humble of Tolkki. Romeo is a better player for sure, but it is awesome to see as skilled a player as Tolkki giving him props. Any Statovarius fans in here? I have one of theirs...it is not bad at all.

Originally posted by sweepking
Any Statovarius fans in here? I have one of theirs...it is not bad at all.

I used to have 4 of their albums, as they were one of the first underground metal bands I discovered. But I got rid of them last year.