Airplane tickets

shreddy

Jul 26, 2002
Chicago
www.myspace.com
I don't remember if the prices typically are better one day of the week vs another or if its they're better to wait a bit longer before getting them.

Last week United had tickets for just about $320 (ORD to ATL), they were $100 more than everyone else. This week they're about the same price as everyone else, $250 w tax. But there was one day in the week last week when someone had their tickets for $204 w tax, I forget which day that was.

Any thoughts on this subject?

This year for me it seems like airfare was very expensive. I used to be able to fly down to Atlanta anywhere from $150-$230. This year it was over $300. Not sure if it was a fluke or what. I did get a direct flight out of Rochester, but still seemed pricey for me.

Maybe next year I'll have better luck. What carrier were you looking at Shreddy? Mine was Delta...

Yes, definitely more than 14 days, > 28 is best (in general). As far as what day, I remember reading something a few months back that the best time to buy your tickets was either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Good luck! See ya there!

I ended up going with a package hotel/airfare deal for my tickets because they had skyrocketed to over $400 last week from the $200-$250 price I had been seeing. I did get my tickets on a Tuesday. Checking now they're still over $400. Oddly enough, you can get a package airfair/hotel price for about $20 more than the airfare alone.

Yes, definitely more than 14 days, > 28 is best (in general). As far as what day, I remember reading something a few months back that the best time to buy your tickets was either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Good luck! See ya there!

You are right, Rick. Early Wednesday morning between midnight and 2 AM are the best times because the prices change then. You can literally see the price increase or decrease before your eyes.

My wife and I decided it would be cheaper and less potentially troublesome to drive to Atlanta this year -- even though it's over 800 miles one way.

The Grand Rapids airport was recently rated the worst in the nation (yes, you read that right) due to flight cancellations, off-schedule departures and arrivals, and overall customer (dis)satisfaction. So there's a strong chance our flight could have been canceled 20 minutes before we were to board, leaving us stranded and unable to get there.

So we're driving some 12 hours each way.

Smart? Maybe not. But at least we'll be in control of our arrival and departure, and won't have to worry about lost luggage, canceled flights...or terrorists.

Bill

P.S. The lowest airfare out of Grand Rapids to Atlanta is $399. So it would have cost us around $900 to fly roundtrip. Driving will cost about a third of that.

Fly out of Milwaukee's Mitchell Field..... : )
I got mine for $172, taxes/fees included.

I'm about 5 miles away from O'Hare its 4 stops on the Blue Line for me. I wont even fly out of Midway anymore cause I'm so close to O'Hare.

Bill,

Take the Like Michigan Trolley across to Milwaukee and fly out from there that will be cheaper. I thought there was a hydrafoil that went across the lake.

I'm about 5 miles away from O'Hare its 4 stops on the Blue Line for me. I wont even fly out of Midway anymore cause I'm so close to O'Hare.

Bill,

Take the Like Michigan Trolley across to Milwaukee and fly out from there that will be cheaper. I thought there was a hydrafoil that went across the lake.

Hey Shreddy,

We thought of that. But it costs $100 per person round trip, and $62 each way for the car. So that's nearly $400 right there. Then, the ferry is from Ludington to Manitowoc. So we'd need to drive from GR to Ludington (about an hour north), then rent a car from Manitowoc to Milwaukee. There's another $150 or so. Then the cost of tickets. Then the car rental or cab in Atlanta. The total for the whole shebang is about the same as flying out of Grand Rapids.

It'll be a long drive, but it'll be cheaper with less hassle.

But thanks for the info!

Bill

I had a similar experience... I got my tickets to ATL for $238 incl. taxes and fees today whereas last week I was looking at over $300 for the same tickets/flights and probably close to $325 after taxes. I'm not sure what changed (especially considering the news report that everyone was hiking fares up $10 to cover added fuel costs) but I'm happy I procrastinated for once in my life.

I was very happy with the deal I just got. I did the whole package of hotel, airfare and car rental for $400. This is from Tampa. I know it would have been about $120 for gas if I drove up. So, it wasn't that much more doing it this way. And I will be a lot more refreshed than having to drive for 7-8 hours.

Oh, that was my intention. I have 25k+ FF miles with Delta, but they have changed the way the conduct business in respect to this program. You only get to choose from crappy flights for 25k. You want decent time, decent seats??? You fork over 45k miles.

I work right next door to the airport (O'Hare), and it's still cheaper for me to fly out of MKE, even with free parking here...:erk:

One of the things I will miss about Baltimore is that it's relatively cheap to fly *anywhere* from BWI (ATL routinely costs me a bit under $200), and I have the option of Reagan, Dulles, and Philly if the cost difference is worth adding several hours to my travel time. Wilmington with its grand total of two airlines is gonna suck for travel, unless I can catch a ride to Raleigh.