Airplane tickets

Leaving from Baltimore Wednesday late afternoon/early evening. Then it's off to the Sonata show at Jaxx and then, after the show, off to Atlanta. I can check with my three other traveling buddies and see how they feel about an addition to our van. (I think you've met them all on the Granada porch, so it should be ok.) I still need to find the cost of the van, so I don't know what a 4 or 5-way split on that cost will be yet (plus we all chip in at various points for gas). If this situation sounds doable for you PM me.

See you at the Jaxx show! Steve and I will fly out the next morning. We thought about driving, but decided that flying would be easier.

Well I caved in and got my tix from United at $258 (including tax/fees). The prices were stable at this rate for a good week and half on all the carriers. I have to do O'Hare I'm right by it, I flew out of Midway once since living at this location wont do it again.

I always have a layover/transfer at Midway on my way to NY. Never had issues. I do O'Hare when I go to Chicago on business. Always some stupid delay trying to get out of there.

Of course, I'd rather the delays happen when I'm on a business trip rather than vacation, so that kinda works out to my favor.:p

I'd like to point you all in the direction of this website: http://www.sidestep.com/ . Its the best discount airline fare site out there. Basically, its a search engine, and what it does, is searches through Orbitz, Expedia, direct airline sites, and a bunch of other sites. It basically just lines up a bunch of airfare listings from all these various websites, and shows you where the best deal to be found is. Its really nice, I've used it before, and has worked out great for me. Hopefully some of you guys will benefit from this too.
I just checked this site looking for tickets to Wilmington, NC in November for a weekend trip. Best results were upwards of $300 :OMG: and most of the results were with US Airways who I refuse to ever use again (on my own dime).

I then checked Travelocity.com for tickets and found round trip tickets with several other airlines for under $200. :headbang:
I really wish this would have turned out to be as nice of a research tool for me as it has been for you, but I think I'll have to stick with Travelocity.

How you know you're getting screwed by the airlines.

flighthotel.jpg

Flying on Wednesdays is more expensive in general. If you can fly in Tuesday night, see if that's any cheaper. I've had tickets go up by $100 and come back down $200 in the 15 minutes it takes me to book a flight, but that's through Expedia and for business, with little advance notice (as in 3 days usually).

Justin, as to your question regarding booking int'l flights... it all depends. I waited until about 3 weeks ahead of time to book my ticket to Sweden this year and saved about $200-300 over what it was 2 months in advance. Most of the time, though, I've gotten about the best prices I'm going to get about 6-8 weeks out. However, I've always travelled during the "crappy" times (i.e., late fall/winter and not near Xmas), and my trip to Sweden this year was at peak time. so that makes a difference as well.

Don't know if that helps any, but there are my thoughts.

Ouch! I do love using the name your own price things... But also check with the airlines directly... sometimes they are cheaper.

Today I did a check and found them on the carrier site for $100 or so less than they had on the "deal" sites.

-MetalRose

Thanks but I do already have my ticket. It's just amusing to watch the prices continue to creep up for flight only when you can toss in a hotel room for a cheaper total price.

What was the problem with Midway?

I live a couple miles from O'Hare. To take the CTA (our ass transit system) to Midway I would have to spend 90+ minutes on the trains to get to Midway (Blue + Orange lines). The other thing is I have to be home by noon Sunday for our Baby Shower. I couldnt wing that coming into Midway, I'd have to leave Atlanta really early Sunday morning.

Thanks,

This will be my first and her 3rd, its a boy. Pretty wild to say the least, sorry to say that I'm going to have to grow up now at the age of 41.

This might be my last fest for a couple years, unless I'm playing the fest next year :lol:. Who knows Kara might let me come out to play for the weekend next year.

Book back in August and managed to score airline tickets for 183.30/person roundtrip non-stop from Reagan National in D.C. on AirTran, and this is actually at decent hours (leaving around noon on Thursday and coming back at in town at 4 in the afternoon on Sunday). I could've gotten a flight as cheap as something $130/person flying out of Richmond, VA, but that was either way to butt early in the morning or so late at night. Me and Dave will be going to the Sonata Arctica show at Jaxx (pretty sweet it now only takes me 1/2 hour to get to Jaxx if I leave straight from work!), staying overnight at a nearby Best Western (no point driving all the way back to Fredericksburg only to have to come back up again that morning). Last year we flew out of Richmond on AirTran and that worked out really nice.

Last year we flew out of Richmond on AirTran and that worked out really nice.

Hmm.. Didn't we fly Delta last year? I think AirTran was the year previous.

AirTran was cool. We were on a new airplane equiped with XM radio for their audio channels. It didn't have all the channels though (for example - no Bone Yard) because everything labeled "XL" (extreme language) was not there (gee, wonder why...) :heh:

Oh well.. as Steve said, we'll be at Jaxx, staying the night at the BW, then fly down to Atlanta the day of the Showcase. And yes, we're flying Delta again.

Hmm.. Didn't we fly Delta last year? I think AirTran was the year previous.

AirTran was cool. We were on a new airplane equiped with XM radio for their audio channels. It didn't have all the channels though (for example - no Bone Yard) because everything labeled "XL" (extreme language) was not there (gee, wonder why...) :heh:

Oh well.. as Steve said, we'll be at Jaxx, staying the night at the BW, then fly down to Atlanta the day of the Showcase. And yes, we're flying Delta again.

You were right, we did fly Delta last year.

However, this year, it is indeed AirTran - I just double checked the itinerary.

I think that one flight we looked at out of Richmond was on Delta, but came to the conclusion that the departing flight was to early in the morning, so opted to spend a few extra dollars to get a better flight out of Reagan instead.