Allan Holdsworth

Violens

Jun 14, 2007
Hi guys, I was wondering what you of the band in particular, but everyone here, think about Allan Holdsworth and jazz/fusion scene in general..and if you are how he (and the genre) influenced you..

This may sound a strange question but I think your music reflects much more than only metal listenings..

I love Allan Holdsworth, the guy is phenomenal, and considerably underrated by alot of people. He's not someone who I listen to on a very frequent basis so it's hard to say if he's been a direct influence on me. I think jazz/fusion is great, Holdsworth, Stanley Clarke, Jean-Luc Ponty, are some that I've particularly listened to. I like alot of the rock-fusion stuff too, especially something like the early Journey albums. If you guys haven't heard it, it's quite different from the later pop-rock stuff they did with Steve Perry. In fact, I know that the early prog/fusion-era of Journey was a direct influence, because there's a part in a Novembers Doom song that is very close to one of theirs.....but I ain't gonna say what it is ;)

You're correct that we have more than metal influences in our music. It's a big reason why we get so upset about people who only seem to focus on one or two influences (or supposed influences) they hear in our music. There's alot going on there, influence-wise, and you'd be surprised if I told you where I get some of my inspiration from when writing.

Our former guitarist Eric was very into stuff like jazz, blues, etc., as well. He brought alot of that influence into the group back then, especially with his use of odd chords and the way he layered things. I'm into that as well, obviously. Our old bassist Mary was well versed in jazz as well as harder stuff, and our current bassist Chris is very diverse in his tastes and influences. Vito is really into progressive rock and metal, and our drummer Joe has been influenced by everything from black metal to prog to new wave to latin jazz, and learned to play from being in jazz band back in school. So yeah there's alot of different influences that've come into this band than just Slayer and Morbid Angel and Paradise Lost, haha (Although there ain't nothing wrong with those influences either!)

Violens, if you're interested, why don't you list some good suggestions of songs or cds for people here to check out Holdsworth and other jazz/fusion stuff. I'm sure there are people here who'd be able to appreciate some of it, if they were turned onto it.

Yeah, I would really like to hear some of this jazz/fusiony stuff, the only jazz I have is like Miles Davis and John Coltrane :(

I think if you want to hear good fusion you must listen to the whole Weather Report production (Jaco is the best bassist they've ever had I think, but it's not the only one)..possibly the best ensemble to ever walk earth.

Obviously Allan Holdsworth..and to listen to good stuff by him, I think Road Games could be a good beginning..remember that youtube is full of very good live performances!

These ones are the most known names in the scene..I think they are the best things to begin

Ah it's really a more classic jazz guitarist, but I love Joe Pass

If you guys like jazz you should check out The Ron Eschete Trio. 7 string guitar, 6 string bass and real cool jazz drumming. This group is probably my favorite jazz group I listen to. http://www.myspace.com/roneschetetrio

Their bass player Todd Johnson is an influence on my bass playing, I wouldn't say their guitar player influences me with Novembers Doom stuff, but you never know what may leak into our writing one day.

Another great jazz guitarist is Jimmy Bruno. Another 7 stringer in the jazz world. Just imagine a metal shredder in the body of a jazz guitarist. It's good shit. www.jimmybruno.com

Last edited by a moderator:
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cz9g3ymsDk4[/ame]
Paco de Lucia is a really crazy acoustic guy, worth checking out.

The first 2 or 3 Mahavishnu Orchestra records are pretty much must-haves for any fusion listening. Most people stick to the first one, Inner Mounting Flame, which is definitely great, but I actually like Visions of the Emerald Beyond a bit better because it seems to have more to say compositionally - more memorable passages.

The only Holdsworth record I have is Sand, which was actually released on Relativity back in the 80s. Good stuff, with really complex chord arrangements.

The Pat Metheny Trio live record released a while back is really solid- the material is not as structured as the Pat Metheny Group stuff is, so there's a lot more room for the individual players just going nuts.

I forgot to mention the probably strongest italian band nowadays (considering every genre)..composed of excellent (some of them are regarded internationally) musicians. Here they're really famous, in part beacause of their very very funny lyrics. I love both musical and lyrical side of them; they can make you laugh for ages. They are Elio E Le Storie Tese; I think the whole discography is worth of attention.

Some stuff:
--> cool piece from Eat The Phikis (1996)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbPtvFxUb60&feature=related[/ame] --> one of their masterpieces from 1992
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR1YJwHP76g&feature=related[/ame] --> performing live with a guest..another famous italian singer. On july 21, 1992

Hope you like it!

I saw Paco de Lucia, Al Dimeola and John McLaughlin back in 1979 do an acoustic show that to this day is memorable. There's a "live' album called "Friday night in San Francisco" with that tour that is incredible. "Bitches Brew" by Miles has always got a lot of play around here. Mahavishnu orchestra is also played around here, specfically, "Inner Mounting Flame" and "Birds of Fire." "Heavy Weather" and Mysterious Traveller", "Black Market" by Weather Report,imo are some of the best fusion ever. "Return to Forever" (Chick Corea) another amazing fusion effort. Jaco Pastorius's debut album is fuckin' killer.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cz9g3ymsDk4
Paco de Lucia is a really crazy acoustic guy, worth checking out.

The first 2 or 3 Mahavishnu Orchestra records are pretty much must-haves for any fusion listening. Most people stick to the first one, Inner Mounting Flame, which is definitely great, but I actually like Visions of the Emerald Beyond a bit better because it seems to have more to say compositionally - more memorable passages.

The only Holdsworth record I have is Sand, which was actually released on Relativity back in the 80s. Good stuff, with really complex chord arrangements.

The Pat Metheny Trio live record released a while back is really solid- the material is not as structured as the Pat Metheny Group stuff is, so there's a lot more room for the individual players just going nuts.

Eric, did you actually watch this video? This MUST be a joke. It seems like one of those videos on youtube that overdub bad guitar over Michael Angelo Batio's playing. This is horrible, and hilarious at the same time. PLEASE tell me this is a joke. :lol:

Dude, that video is like one of the best ones I've seen of the overdubbed joke guitarist clips. Even if it was an accident to post that, thanks for posting it, that was priceless!

For the record, Paco is a great guitarist and people should definitely check out legitimiate clips of him!

Dude, that video is like one of the best ones I've seen of the overdubbed joke guitarist clips. Even if it was an accident to post that, thanks for posting it, that was priceless!

For the record, Paco is a great guitarist and people should definitely check out legitimiate clips of him!

That's why I wasn't sure at first, It's SO well done. If you watch the background musicians, he evan had them synched up. Brilliant.

Eric, did you actually watch this video? This MUST be a joke. It seems like one of those videos on youtube that overdub bad guitar over Michael Angelo Batio's playing. This is horrible, and hilarious at the same time. PLEASE tell me this is a joke. :lol:

Those "shred" videos are hilarious. Jake E Lee and Slash's whistling are great. He supposed to be using a talkbox.

Hope this works. Newer King Crimson doing the classic Epitaph.

EDIT:

Steve, to embed Youtube videos here, use the code below. The number in the middle is the youtube video code you see at the end of the URL at the top of the youtube page.

(REMOVE THE * FROM THIS)

[youtube*]Tpzi-SR4bAo[/youtube*]