Allan Holdsworth

it's teen town! THE seminal piece of fusion jazz bass :D

i'm not a big fusion guy, but say "not much better" about this piece to yer average jaco nut and they will kick you in the nuts :D

hehe you're probably not the only band like that... i know plenty of bands with people who can hardly play! i guess i am not that great a bass player myself but at least i know what i can do and get the job done in my band :) and when i compare my own playing to that of people in other bands, i guess i can't suck that bad :D however, i've come to notice that most people in an audience aren't able to hear any minor fuckups anyway. i had a gig last saturday and was off 1 count during a section where it was just me and the keyboard player... not even my bass playing friend noticed haha. just keep your gig face on and nobody will notice it anyway. at least i looked good on the pictures, haha! :D

as for michael manring, he's one of the greatest solo bass players there is right now :) i just found out the guy who made the parody lives about 15 minutes away from me, haha!

As far as Holdsworth goes, I tend to prefer his early stuff. Try to check out the stuff he did with the New Tony Williams Lifetime in the late 70s. Also, earlier than that, in '73 the band Tempest - check out their s/t album. There's a Tempest 3CD comp as well that features both their albums and also both their guitarists (Allan and Ollie Halsall, one of my absolute favourites). The comp includes an amazing live show with *both* guitarists, and the interplay is insanity.

For more excellent Holdsworth, try Soft Machine's album "Bundles", Gong's "Gazeuse" and "Espresso" as well. Also, the first UK album, and the first two Bill Bruford solo albums. Amazing stuff.

Enjoy!