American metal bands saving metal....

Originally posted by corpse-paint
In recent years more and more brutal death metal bands are coming out of America, it is GREAT!!!

I agree!!!!!!!! I mean i`ve got the image that nowadays american metal means same as Linkin park/ nu- metal..:rolleyes: :confused: :D
I think Usa is still the real pioneer of deathmetal!!!!:headbang:

ArchType, Power Of Omens, Control Denied, Imagika, Jacob's Dream
Magnitude 9, Onward and Symphony X!!

Most of my favorite bands are from the US. I am not into that Euro power metal stuff

You people are only thinking in terms of the more "traditional" sounding bands. What about these:

Today is the Day
Khanate
Warhorse
Sunn 0)))
Converge
Mastodon
Isis
Neurosis

All of these bands have recently released stuff that is pushing metal forward, and, in the process, rejuvinating the metal scene in new, innovative ways.

Saving metal. . .saving metal from what? lol

Anyway - I'd say Iced Earth and Cannibal Corpse are the only "underground metal bands that have mainstream success" if that makes sense. Cannibal Corpse WAS in the movie 'Ace Ventura' after all. The other bands listed are incredible, but will never have the type of mainstream success, less Type O, Slayer, and a few others.

-Greg

Most of the nu-metal doesn't really appeal to me, except for a few select songs that are somewhat catchy. Like the new Taproot album, the song "poem" really got me, but the rest of the album is total nu-metal whiny drivel. I could never understand people's draw to Korn.. I like a couple songs out of god knows how many songs they've put out over the past few years. One of their album titles sums it all up: "Follow The Leader". Meaning most fans are sheep following the herd, saying how great korn is because they're another "heavy" band.

On another note, does anyone else miss the early to mid 90's hard rock that would sometimes border on metal? It was like a MTV fad that died out like any other fad but a lot of great songs were put out. I guess the fact that I grew up to these songs has a lot to do with it too. Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Collective Soul, Pearl Jam, etc. Listen to the STP song "Piece Of Pie". It was never a single (don't know why) but it was my favorite song off the album (Core).

Originally posted by Soilworker
Mainstream metal in the US is a bit repetitive. Look away from numetal and their are thousands of bands playing amazing 'true' stuff.

But the same could be said for the Euro scene, flooded with generic melodic death metal and power metal bands. While the innovators are good, the style is a trend and is being overdone. Just like numetal.

Both US and Euro have their Pro's and Con's.

Ditto.

It's funny people mention a band like Agalloch, in a "saving metal" thread, whom has blatantly shown distaste for the current metal scene, and, well, metal in general.