american metal or european metal??

America has 'Nile' - Europe has everyone else :lol:
i think thats a really unfair question though. it should be done by country, ie. England Vs America, or Timbucktoo Vs America, either way America loses i think.

Azogue said:
European of course.

But thre is still good american metal, for instance:

Vehemence (my favorite american band)
Nile (*awaits flaming*)
Dysrythmia
Agalloch (I *think* they're American)

And, errrr........I guess that's it :-$

Oh, and the now departed of course (Atheist, Cynic, Suffocation, etc).

Yea, Agalloch is from Oregon, USA :)

European Metal has almost always been way better than america, there are exceptions of course - America spawned such acts as Death, Morbid Angel, Overkill, Iced Earth etc... but I could name a million bands from europe haha

I prefer european, however, I like american bands like Nevermore, Maudlin of the Well, Neurosis, and Isis.

I definitely prefer European metal, however there are a few decent ones from here in Canada (Voivod, Devin Townsend) as well as the U.S. (Type O Negative, Pantera, Shadows Fall, Superjoint Ritual). However, of course, all of the true masters are European and always have been, right from the days of Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.

Incendiare said:
I prefer european, however, I like american bands like Nevermore, Maudlin of the Well, Neurosis, and Isis.

Oh yeah, and I forgot Neurosis is from the U.S. - I love Neurosis!

"With a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun."

beh i guess there are quite some good 'underground' bands in america. but because its america its not likely that we in Europe get the chance to know em.
Morgion for example is a great American band.

I saw Nile last weekend on Wacken Open Air and they were absolutely great!!! I'm not that much into Death Metal but this band really impressed me.
But most of my favourite bands are European, mostly Scandinavian- yeah, that is were the best music comes from!!!