American Metal

maestro_al

Who Dares Wins
Mar 26, 2002
I've seen several comments recently made by Europeans about how great they think the US metal scene is (particularly the underground scene). However, most people I know based in the US tend to prefer the European contributions! Just take a look at the line-up of PP3 for example!

Excuse my ignorance, but I grew up in the UK, and so most of my metal 'heritage' has a strong European influence. Without sounding pompous, other than the Bay Area thrash scene in the 80's, I never really knew of any other strong US outfits. (I'm not including the hair band era at all). And to add, the metal scene took a nose dive in the 90's anyway, so access to music became a little more difficult as it wasn't as commercially available.

I'm curious as to see who holds the threshold for the USA? Are we going to see lot's of Iced Earth votes perhaps? If anything, educate me! And feel free to refer to the US metal 'underground' because I didn't even know one existed.

I think it depends on what your looking for. Sure, Iced Earth are a great band but some others that I really enjoy are

Aztec Jade
New Sun
The Tiles
Ice Age
Takara
Katagory V
Balance of Power (I include them because Lance is from Minnesota)
Rival
Torman Maxt
Enertia

I've seen other bands talked about like Exhibition and of course Reading Zero. There's many others I haven't listed.

I think when it comes to pure power metal the Eurpean bands are superior but there's still no shortage of talented bands in the USA that play prog/power/melodic metal.

Best power metal bands of all times from usa are in my opinion the following:
Heir Apparent
Fifth Angel
Helstar
Oliver Magnum
Destinys End
Gargoyle
Metal Church
Deadly Blessing
Nowdays i think that the best usa heavy metal band is Nevermore.

One very big band that appeared at last year's PP II

Kamelot!

If I am not mistaken, they are from florida.

Jag Panzer
Destiny's End is exceptional
Dreamtheater
Control Denied-I think Chuck Schuldiner(<--this may be mispelled) was from the good ol' USA R.I.P.
Death-If above was from U.S.
Symphony X
Nevermore
Half of Demons and Wizards :)
.......Oh and
Smashing Pumpkins....
just joking

Quote-And feel free to refer to the US metal 'underground' because I didn't even know one existed.

I'd hardly consider any of the bands mentioned "underground". When I think underground in "zine" terms I think of unsigned or indie bands. Maestro_al-please correct me if I'm wrong!

Besides that I think Destiny's End has broke up.

Originally posted by zinescene
Quote-And feel free to refer to the US metal 'underground' because I didn't even know one existed.

I'd hardly consider any of the bands mentioned "underground". When I think underground in "zine" terms I think of unsigned or indie bands. Maestro_al-please correct me if I'm wrong!

Besides that I think Destiny's End has broke up.

Dude - I simply wanted an opinion on which US bands were well respected since I probably know of about 10 compared to, what, 500 bands from overseas? (and I live in the US). That's not a jibe at the music scene - I'm pointing out my own hopelessness!

This was all sparked from another thread - someone mentioned that their favorite bands in the world were from the US metal underground. That surprised me since this individual lives in Greece, and probably knows more about the US music scene than someone like me who lives in New York!!

I think though that you may be misinterpreting my note as a 'dig' to the American music scene. On the contrary, I'm asking for opinions and thoughts. I standby what I said - I did not know a metal underground scene exisited in the USA. But that is my ignorance for not knowing :)

By the way, I asked for examples of bands from the underground, and here's what I got:

Twisted Tower Dire, Skullview, Cauldron Born

Like I said, I've never even HEARD of these - but that's not to say they don't exist.

Shame about Destiny's End - I never knew that they split!

My apologies then. I misinterpreted what you were looking for. There are indeed some very fine American Power Metal bands and Prog Metal Bands.

I would agree that Jag Panzer, Nevermore, Metal Church (whom I love!), Destiny's End (who were awesome), Kamelot, Symphony X are all great American Bands.

Some new ones which I've heard also include Onward (which features guitarist Toby Knapp) have released their Debut on Century Media!, Event are a brilliant technical band, Reign of Terror featuring Joe Stump and of course everyone's collection should include Savatage's The Dugeons Are Calling or Hall Of The Mountain King!!

zinescene: I think we've mis-read each others notes in the past! Not to worry because you seem like someone with good taste - and because of that, I really value your opinions. In fact, I appreciate any help in the Prog/Power scene because I'm really new to the music. I've been into metal for years, but the prog/power scene is new for me. For ages, I thought metal was just Megadeth etc and it was getting really fucking boring. Thank god for "if you like this CD, then try this..." in amazon.com.

I love Kamelot (Karma is magnificent), Jag Panzer (Mechanized Warfare is incredible), and Symphony X (words cannot describe V). Some of the other bands listed in the threads above are ones that I need to explore - I can't wait until PP3 because I'll be buying lots of CDs.

By the way, I thought you were being condescending when you told me that Destiny's End were splitting up. I've never heard of them, and I thought you were referring to that pop band Destiny's Child!

I laugh at it all though. :) :)

maestro-

I don't think there is much of a U.S. Metal underground. I think, that for the most part, most of the quality Metal being produced is coming from Sweden. However, I do think the U.S. is well represented in the Metal scene. If I had to list the Top 5 Metal bands, 3 of them would be from the U.S.:

Nevermore
Iced Earth
Symphony X

There are also a few really good, up and coming U.S. Metal bands, such as Zero Hour and Aska.

GZ

GZ-

I was in the Sweden forum the other day in ultimatemetal.com, and someone posted a "Best band from Sweden" thread. I didn't realize that there is so much death/black/grind music coming out of that one country. I wonder what dictates the popularity?

I like the three bands you listed, but I'll admit, I'm a sucker for the slightly more melodic stuff. Don't get me wrong - of course bands like Symphony X pride themselves with their melodies, but I guess I like the power metal emphasis of "sing along" choruses etc. I find that the melodic power bands do tend to be European, would you agree? The US stuff has a slightly 'harsher' edge to it - and I don't mean that in a bad way.

My favorite bands right now are Gamma Ray, Edguy, Blind Guardian, and Angra. Perhaps you can see the connection? :) It's all about the catchy melodies etc. This is something I struggle with in Iced Earth - although I can appreciate their technical brilliance, I don't 'catch' their melody as much. The live experience I'm sure will be second to none.

Maestro

maestro_al-In reference to your comment "For ages, I thought metal was just Megadeth etc and it was getting really fucking boring. Thank god for "if you like this CD, then try this..." in amazon.com"

I couldn't agree more. I started listening to bands like KISS, Aerosmith, Ted Nugent etc and for me it did get boring. I got into other stuff like Motorhead, Saxon, Demon...then Metallica, Slayer, Exodus, Mercyful Fate because it was different and interesting. I think peoples taste evolve all the time and word of mouth, amazon.com, mp3.com or compilations are a great way to get exposed to new music. I commend you and any other fan whose willing to turn their ears on to something new and potentially exciting. I'm a HUGE Iron Maiden fan and I think it's my love of them that's carried over to the Power metal scene. Likewise I count my self among fans of Rush, ELP, Dream Theater (to a lesser degree) and I think my taste in progressive music has carried over and allowed me to explore other "progressive" bands as well as styles.

I know this forum was for American metal so I'll be brief with my next comments, but your analysis of the Swedish scene in interesting. There is a lot of great music coming out of Sweden. Just check out the line-up for the 2000 Decibel Festival and it's amazing. (entombed, evergrey, opeth, soilwork, witchery...and those are just a fraction of the well known bands!)

Originally posted by zinescene
I'm a HUGE Iron Maiden fan and I think it's my love of them that's carried over to the Power metal scene.

That sums it up! What a time that was - Powerslave, Ride the Lightning, Peace Sells, Reigning Blood...the list is endless. And you are absolutley correct in saying that this 'early' music helped my crossover to prog/power. But for me, it was almost a 15 year evolution, and the reason for that is because metal was swiftly killed off by grunge. OK - it never really went away, but you know what I mean. The so called 'metal' publications starting reviewing Alice in Chains and Soundgarden records etc, and I'll admit, I got bored with the metal scene (or at least the bands that I had followed in the mid 80's).

Megadeth were never going to surpass RIP, Metallica lost the plot completely (which is probably the biggest loss to metal to date IMO), and even guitar virtuoso's like Malmsteen just became so repetitive where once they were considered innovative.

Here's an interesting point - Megadeth's RIP was the supposed pinnacle of metal for sometime, and yet Land of the Free by Gamma Ray ranks closely in my mind. However, Gamma Ray will never be recognized for a Grammy award. Likewise, when Iron Maiden are making albums like Virtual XI, I am so thankful that Edguy fill the void by releasing masterpieces like Mandrake. Had metal not lost its flavor in the mainstream, I bet bands like Angra or Edguy would be just as big as those earlier 'giants'. It's a shame (for the bands) that they won't ever get as much recognition and reward - however, for the fans, keeping them away from the mainstream prevents them perhaps from following suit of the aforementioned bands that lost the plot!! Phew.

I was really hoping that by having Iced Earth support Megadeth recently, it would perhaps inspire, nay, REMIND Dave Mustaine of his true potential in doing something just as miraculous once again. Sadly this was not the case. And yet I find solace elsewhere with no regret or no feeling of betrayal to my childhood idols. Especially since these newer bands were inspired by the same heroes. :)

Maestro.

I don't know what they're putting in the water in Sweden... but it's working.

Besides the more extreme types of Metal, there are also tons or Prog and Power bands coming from Sweden. If there were a Metal Olympics, Sweden would take home 75% of the Gold Medals.

GZ

It is just me or is Power Metal making a huge ressurgence? I'm sure the Lord of the Rings movie may have something to do with it.

(By the way, I just heard that due to the strength of LOTR at the movies, there's also going to be a big fantasy element brought back to film making. In fact, I just heard that Arnie has signed up to do a third Conan film).

Age has no boundaries!

Originally posted by Jim LotFP

What an amazing observation this would have been... in 1998. :)

ooh condescending jibes...eek!

I'm specifically talking about fantasy metal involving dragons and swords etc. Lord of the Rings has certainly helped people become a bit less embarrased about the whole topic.

And if you say you were always into swords, sandals, Terry Pratchet, and warhammer, then this obviously doesn't apply to you. Some of all this music may be new to some of us.