Metal scene in Atlanta

ruinandmisery said:
nice! Have fun driving around Atlanta looking for CD's. I'll contine to purchase CD's online and check out bands that way.

i love driving around to shop! though, i prefer to hear the cd's i'm buying, vs. paying too much for one song. long live itunes!

I never said I drove around looking for CD's. I buy all my shit online too because it's way cheaper. I don't know why you have such pure hatred for Atlanta but whatever! I'll continue to be loyal to my area and when it gathers a huge metal following I will be able to say I was with it from the beginning. :)

OK, I think that you are taking me way too serious. I just said that it's easier to purchase CD's online and get what you are looking for. Don't get me wrong, I drive to the shops and purchase CD's, but I do purchase most of them online. It is a great feeling going into a shop a finding what you are looking for, but most of the time it just does not happen; if you are looking for the import or hard to find releases. Also in America, we are always behind on the release dates.

As far as the scene, understand that I am apart of it. I play in a local band here, so I am aware of how crappy the scene is and how people are NOT supportive here. I've lived in Atlanta all my years!

Also, I do see that from your Sig, you are in SC, is that correct? I'm sorry you took offense.

Cheers.

J

www.lilitu.ws

Aethyr said:
I don't know why you have such pure hatred for Atlanta but whatever!

have you ever tried to drive to go to work around 8am on a rainy saturday and have to call in late because someone shutdown the highway??? *giggles* THAT, is enough reason to hate atlanta, imo. i get bored here, go to another city for a week, come back and resume my normal lifestyle. of course, i have to do that about once a month, which sucks, but it works. :)

Yeah, but if that involves going to another city, you'll end up at the same point :p i'm trying to reach the point of leaving the country once a year. of course, that would require me to stop invalidating my passport.

freakchylde said:
have you ever tried to drive to go to work around 8am on a rainy saturday and have to call in late because someone shutdown the highway??? *giggles* THAT, is enough reason to hate atlanta, imo. i get bored here, go to another city for a week, come back and resume my normal lifestyle. of course, i have to do that about once a month, which sucks, but it works. :)

:lol: Fortunately I have the pleasure of not living directly in Atlanta or its suburbs. I only go there occasionally for a concert or to visit my friend @ GaTech. I suppose if I had to make a daily commute there I'd be singing a different tune. :p

Aethyr said:
:lol: Fortunately I have the pleasure of not living directly in Atlanta or its suburbs. I only go there occasionally for a concert or to visit my friend @ GaTech. I suppose if I had to make a daily commute there I'd be singing a different tune. :p

:) actually, i don't have an issue with the traffic. i just have an issue with the morons that cause the accidents. not to mention, the inability to get them off road. *sigh* oh well, such is the life in a city with the worst transportation system (unless you happen to live near the rail line and be going somewhere that's also on it).

It seems like people are especially moronic on 85, doesn't it? I swear, the shit I see on that road nearly causes me to have an aneurysm on a daily basis, even before I get to the six lane stuff. My boyfriend's family lives in Buford, which is only a couple exits before the road starts to widen, and I SWEAR TO GOD I wish I had a battering ram to get these idiots off the road. I really wish I had the right to take their licenses away, because they don't deserve to have one. *sigh* South Carolina and Georgia have to have some kind of abnormally high car accident mortality rate, because I've never seen worse driving in any place I've ever lived (which has been quite a few places).

So, I went to the Samael/Strapping Young Lad/Cathedral show last night. there were also two opening local bands, Halcyon Way and Armani Death Machine.

the show was awesome. Cathedral were a hell of a lot of fun, and Strapping Young Lad completely destroyed the place. The only disappointment was Samael; largely because SYL gave them the toughest act in the world to follow. After their razorsharp performance, Samael's slight sound problems (keyboards weren't coming through very well and their bass was too loud) and failure to quite capture the energy of their albums onstage left them trailing in the dust. had they been playing prior to SYL I probably would have loved their set, but SYL took so much out of me that Samael's performance was merely "adequate".

as to the openers, Armani Death Machine were unfortunately a nu-metal band, and though I can tell they are an excellent one, i can't get into it. but the main reason I'm posting is Halcyon Way. I noticed that noone mentioned them on this thread before except in a list of bands. They were excellent, and they sort of sound somewhere between Queensryche and Evergrey. The atlanta progpower attendees should probably check them out. wouldn't be a terrible choice for next year's preparty; especially given that they live here.

www.halcyonway.com

Ryan (impressed)

Se7enChurches said:
I noticed that noone mentioned them on this thread before except in a list of bands. They were excellent, and they sort of sound somewhere between Queensryche and Evergrey. The atlanta progpower attendees should probably check them out. wouldn't be a terrible choice for next year's preparty; especially given that they live here.

there are actually several good local bands that would be great for the pre-show. i'm sorry i wasn't able to make it, i wanted to but i figured i couldn't duck out of plans i had already made (which turned out to be broken anyway :p) glad to hear the show was good though. thanks for posting.

Se7enChurches said:
as to the openers, Armani Death Machine were unfortunately a nu-metal band, and though I can tell they are an excellent one, i can't get into it. but the main reason I'm posting is Halcyon Way. I noticed that noone mentioned them on this thread before except in a list of bands. They were excellent, and they sort of sound somewhere between Queensryche and Evergrey. The atlanta progpower attendees should probably check them out. wouldn't be a terrible choice for next year's preparty; especially given that they live here.

www.halcyonway.com

Ryan (impressed)

Yeah, Samael's sound was terrible. The drum machine was drowning everything out. Cathedral was AWESOME. SYL finally played Detox.

I missed Halcyon Way, but a lot of people I talked to there said they sounded like Disturbed. I met the (or one of, I dunno) the guitar players at Prog Power and he told me their sound is a mix of Dream Theater, In Flames, and someone else, which sounded very interesting. So I'm very curious to hear them since different people are saying they sound like such different bands.

Oh yeah, Darkest Hour is playing the Echo Lounge tomorrow night (Tuesday) if anyone likes them.

ratanda said:
I missed Halcyon Way, but a lot of people I talked to there said they sounded like Disturbed. I met the (or one of, I dunno) the guitar players at Prog Power and he told me their sound is a mix of Dream Theater, In Flames, and someone else, which sounded very interesting. So I'm very curious to hear them since different people are saying they sound like such different bands.

That Disturbed comment is waaay off the mark, other than the fact that they both have clean vocals. perhaps whoever said that was confused and talking about Armani Death Machine? from repeated listens to the CD they (Halcyon Way) handed me, my best approximation of their sound is late era Fates Warning with John Bush on vocals.

..Speaking of John Bush, does anyone have ANY idea who the 30+ local bands are that are supposedly playing that festival with Anthrax at the Masquerade on October 25th? is there a website for this festival or something somewhere?

Ryan

Se7enChurches said:
..Speaking of John Bush, does anyone have ANY idea who the 30+ local bands are that are supposedly playing that festival with Anthrax at the Masquerade on October 25th? is there a website for this festival or something somewhere?

Ryan

Well I know my band (Burial Rites) is playing it. I imagine several of the bands from the last one will be there again also. We're playing the Hell stage at 7pm that day, Oct 25, and have tickets for sale, so if you'd like one, let me know.

Also tomorrow, Saturday Oct 4, we're playing with Ender's Game at Breakers in Jonesboro. Enders Game plays first, starting between 9 and 9:30, the Blue Druids after that, and we go on around midnight. Cover is $5, 18+

Directions to Breakers:
1. Get on I-75 S
2. Take Exit 235 (Jonesboro/Griffin)
3. Turn Right off the exit onto Tara Blvd. Go for about 2.5 miles
4. Turn Left at N. Main St. This turn is not at a traffic light, but there
will be a big big gas station sign on the LEFT that says "Happy Store" at
the turn. Look out for it.
5. Breakers will be on the left in a shopping center. If you hit the next traffic light, you passed it.

Dan
http://www.burialrites.net

Hey everyone....just discovered this thing thanks to Ryan....I have to agree that it's near impossible to get people out to the local shows...we nearly killed ourselves just to sell 31 tix for the Strapping Young Lad show....

Anyway, we're looking to try to get some partnerships going with other bands in the ATL to do some pretty regular shows - the guys in Enders Game are great, and a great band too, and we're trying to hook up with Shockplate as well. For the guys in Burial Rites - you gave me your CD at Prog Power, and we'd definitely be into playing with you guys and maybe Lilitu or Enders or whoever we can hook up with. That demo sounds great! Steve at the Masquerade seems to be into setting up 4-5 metal bands on the same bill for a weekend show, so maybe we can get something going there and promote it as a mini-fest or something....

We're having a tough time getting booked with bands that we'll go over alongside....so it would definitely be cool to create some alliances....

Also, we're working on our first full-length, it'll be called "A Manifesto For Domination", and we're hoping to be done with it by end of Q1 2004. If you want to download some stuff, go to our site at www.halcyonway.com and you can download 3 full songs as high quality MP3's for free....

Later on!

Jon

ruinandmisery said:
Hi Jon,

Sounds like we should set up a show with all of us. Let me know when you guys are looking to play.

Jason

Sounds good man....we're looking to crank back up late Jan/early Feb or so for some shows. We just lost our 2nd guitarist, but we're carrying on as a 4-pc so it shouldn't be any big deal. Gave me an excuse to upgrade my guitar rig!!!!

Catch you later....shoot me an email with any ideas on dates you have and I'll get the other guys in the band on board....

Jon

Jon,

What's up man? This is Dan from Burial Rites. Glad you like the CD man, thanks! We can easily get you guys a show with us down at Breakers (if you don't mind the drive haha). We'll set something up there soon, and I'll link your site from ours.

Later!
Dan