Question For Atlanta Residents

Layla's Dad said:
Excellent. I know you know your stuff about Mexican food then. What's your favorite place in the metro area? I'll be sure to check it out when I'm in town again. I've got plans for several trips up there.
Heh...yeah I am kind of a Mexican food snob since I was spoiled on the good stuff growing up. To be honest, I haven't looked that hard around the metro area for good places. The Los Reyes I mentioned earlier is more of a convenience thing for me...but it is serviceable. I do remember one place on Peachtree (go figure :Smug: ) near the I-85 junction that was pretty good. But for the life of me, I can't remember its name. Yeah, I know that doesn't help :rolleyes: . Sorry! If I find the name, I'll post it.

:Smokin:

Daybreaker said:
Shit, the Varsity is a good half hour or more from the venue, I remember that form PP III. It's not so bad with some people but on the way back I suggest the MArta. Oh man, I remember I had two chili dogs, three burgers, onion rings a coke and one of those godly bad ass Orange frozen things. Hell, I want one now dammit, and before anyone gets amazed at the amount of food I listed, theyre pretty small but cheap as well. Like a burger's somewhere between 50 cents and a 79. Man, those Orange drink do kick ass though, Im wondering where I can get one...

Ben

Ben,

Sounds like you have to show me where this hot dog place is located.

Ed

If you want to go to the Varsity from the hotels/venue and you don't have a car available, the easiest way would be to take MARTA. Just hop on any southbound train at the Arts Center station by the Granada and get off at the North Avenue station (I think it's only two stops). The Varsity is on North Avenue two blocks to the west of the station, right by the freeway. If you're flying in, MARTA may sell a weekly pass at the airport that would make such short jaunts more palatable -- if not, they should.

That insidious orange thing, BTW, is officially called an Eff Oh. F.O. Stands for "Frosted Orange." Yep, they're good. The Varsity is deservedly a local legend. :eek:

I'll have to try Williamson Bros. BBQ. Where exactly is it? (I'm sure I've driven right by it...)

My personal choice for BBQ in the Atl. metro area is Spiced Right Barbeque, up in Lilburn. Too far from Progpower to make it an easy drive, but it's excellent barbecue, consistently rated in Atlanta's Top 5.....and it's an all-you-can-eat buffet. :worship:

I'll also toss in a recommendation for The Vortex. I'm familiar with their Little Five Points location. It's not too close to Progpower, but MARTA riders can take an East-West Line train to the Inman Park/Reynoldstown station and then walk a half-mile north along Moreland Avenue, which leads right to L5P and the Vortex (the skull faces the other way, right on Moreland Ave.) L5P itself is worth a visit; if nothing else you can lord your kewl metal t-shirts over the punks and street-kidz there. :headbang:

Umm, isn't there another Vortex location closer to Progpower, in Midtown? I'd swear Jim Raggi took someone there (from Spiral Architect) a few years ago.....

Williamson Bros. is on Roswell Road (I think) leading up to Cobb Pkwy. I know if you are on Cobb Pkwy. and turn left at "The Chicken" (KFC), you will come up on Williamson Bros. within a mile or two, on the left. Is that Roswell Rd.?

That's about 15-20 mins. from Earthlink by car. If you were going North on I75, take the White Water exit, pass White Water and turn left at the chicken. That's probably the easiest way to explain it for me, an Alabama resident. There might be a quicker way. Check it out one day, you'll be glad you did.

Fat Matt's is awesome. I highly recommend it.

Varsity is ehh. People seem to like it a lot, so you'll probably like it if you're into that type of stuff.

The Vortex which Pellaz mentioned is good too, and yes there's one on Peachtree St. a bit south of 10th St. I believe.

The Highlander is good also for food and drinks (with Slayer and Judas Priest in the jukebox! :) )

Layla's Dad said:
I would be very interested in hearing your favorites. My family and I go to Columbus through Phenix City all the time. Of course Country's BBQ is a staple. I used to run the Midnight Express 5K every year and think I will this year too. We went to one (this joint used to be a Country's too at one time) at that intersection of the 280 Bypass & US 80 (the road toward Crawford & the dirt track) one night en route to a Cottonmouths game and it was acceptable. I remember reading a special in the Ledger-Enquirer some time ago about the BBQ joints, but that article got away from me.
There's a good spot out towards Crawford, next to Ladonia on the corner of Woodland Drive and 80. can't remember the name, but it's better than Country's, IMO (except for that delicious Brunswick Stew--Country's kicks ass at that). But since they got rid of the Circle E on 280, good barbecue is hard to find in PC.

As for Atlanta, and BBQ in general... it depends on what style barbecue you like. Fatt Matt's is pretty darned good Southern-style barbecue, but Dreamland (up in Roswell) has the best ribs. It's hard to find good barbecue chicken, IMO--it's so often dry--but there's another place, June's & somebody's downtown that really kicks ass, and I remember the chicken being pretty good. (Mike, if you’re reading this, help me out with the name? We went there for lunch one day, I think.) Williamson Bros would round out my top picks.

Shaye

Layla's Dad said:
Have you ever ate at Los Reyes? It's on the same exit as Kennesaw State, next to the Fairfield and Sidelines Grille. That is the best Mexican food I have ever encountered and I've ate plenty of it.
Excellent place! Went there on a date a while back. I love the building itself, especially. But the best Mexican I've ever had (and this includes eating in Cancun) is at El Porton on Alpharetta Hwy Roswell, near Sonny's. For anyone anywhere near, it's worth the drive. Get the Texas fajitas (beef, chicken & shrimp) and ask for a side of melted butter, put a little on your tortillas, and wash it all down with a half pitcher of margaritas. Makes a great birthday dinner. :)

Shaye

lady_space said:
As for Atlanta, and BBQ in general... it depends on what style barbecue you like. Fatt Matt's is pretty darned good Southern-style barbecue, but Dreamland (up in Roswell) has the best ribs. It's hard to find good barbecue chicken, IMO--it's so often dry--but there's another place, June's & somebody's downtown that really kicks ass, and I remember the chicken being pretty good. (Mike, if you’re reading this, help me out with the name? We went there for lunch one day, I think.) Williamson Bros would round out my top picks.

Shaye
Gotta agree with you here. I can never decide if I like Fat Matt's or Dreamland better. Guess I'll just have to keep going to each one until I decide. :D

The place we ate at that has good chicken (and good sliced beef!) is Bobby & June's on 14th street in downtown. It's not far from the hotels & venue, but they only do breakfast and lunch (close at 2:30), so y'all gotta be up early!

--Mike

lady_space said:
Excellent place! Went there on a date a while back. I love the building itself, especially. But the best Mexican I've ever had (and this includes eating in Cancun) is at El Porton on Alpharetta Hwy Roswell, near Sonny's. For anyone anywhere near, it's worth the drive. Get the Texas fajitas (beef, chicken & shrimp) and ask for a side of melted butter, put a little on your tortillas, and wash it all down with a half pitcher of margaritas. Makes a great birthday dinner. :)

Shaye
Sorry, Shaye, but I gotta disagree with you here. The best Mexican in Atlanta is Monterrey (Northlake and Roswell locations). For a small Southeast chain, these guys can't be beat. If you're looking for a good hole-in-the-wall joint, then El Tapatio in Tucker (on Lawrenceville Hwy) is excellent.

...Damn, now I'm hungry for BBQ and Mexican! :loco:

--Mike

Pellaz said:
I'll also toss in a recommendation for The Vortex. I'm familiar with their Little Five Points location. It's not too close to Progpower, but MARTA riders can take an East-West Line train to the Inman Park/Reynoldstown station and then walk a half-mile north along Moreland Avenue, which leads right to L5P and the Vortex (the skull faces the other way, right on Moreland Ave.) L5P itself is worth a visit; if nothing else you can lord your kewl metal t-shirts over the punks and street-kidz there. :headbang:

Umm, isn't there another Vortex location closer to Progpower, in Midtown? I'd swear Jim Raggi took someone there (from Spiral Architect) a few years ago.....
There is a Vortex location in Midtown, but is harder to spot due to the lack of a 15-foot skull for a doorway. :) It's on Peachtree St near 10th St, I believe. Raggi would know for sure as he lives nearby.

--Mike

MeTuLHeD said:
Dang peeps! Y'all's makin' me HONGREE! :tickled:

Besides...there HAVE to be better places to eat around there than that lousy hero shop down the block from the hotel. Ptoooey!
Hey Don! If yer stickin' around late on Sunday, I'll take ya over to one of these joints. Drop me a line, and let me know!

--Mike

Wishmaster said:
There is a Vortex location in Midtown, but is harder to spot due to the lack of a 15-foot skull for a doorway. :) It's on Peachtree St near 10th St, I believe. Raggi would know for sure as he lives nearby.

--Mike
You are correct. It's just south of 10th street, maybe a block or so, on the west side of the street.

Ryan

lady_space said:
There's a good spot out towards Crawford, next to Ladonia on the corner of Woodland Drive and 80. can't remember the name, but it's better than Country's, IMO (except for that delicious Brunswick Stew--Country's kicks ass at that). But since they got rid of the Circle E on 280, good barbecue is hard to find in PC.

As for Atlanta, and BBQ in general... it depends on what style barbecue you like. Fatt Matt's is pretty darned good Southern-style barbecue, but Dreamland (up in Roswell) has the best ribs. It's hard to find good barbecue chicken, IMO--it's so often dry--but there's another place, June's & somebody's downtown that really kicks ass, and I remember the chicken being pretty good. (Mike, if you?re reading this, help me out with the name? We went there for lunch one day, I think.) Williamson Bros would round out my top picks.

Shaye

Hey you are alive !!! I haven't seen you around in a while. The replacement for Circle E, Hog Rock (in the same building) isn't bad at all. I go there on occasion, but I also go to 13th St. Do you know a place that sells southern food in the downtown area ? I mean like fried pork chops and collards kindathing ? I have some net friends I would be interested in taking their and maybe even our yankee comrades from RMAQ.

Bryant

lady_space said:
but there's another place, June's & somebody's downtown that really kicks ass, and I remember the chicken being pretty good.
Are you talking about Bobby & June's Country Kitchen on 14th Street near GA Tech? That place is pretty good but i haven't had their barbecue. I also like Dusty's Barbecue on Briarcliff at Clifton.

Ryan

Wishmaster said:
Sorry, Shaye, but I gotta disagree with you here. The best Mexican in Atlanta is Monterrey (Northlake and Roswell locations). For a small Southeast chain, these guys can't be beat. If you're looking for a good hole-in-the-wall joint, then El Tapatio in Tucker (on Lawrenceville Hwy) is excellent.
I just saw that my Bobby & June's post was redundant. whoops, but i'm too lazy to delete it. My vote for best mexican in Atlanta goes to Nuevo Laredo Cantina, way down some sidestreet off of Howell Mill just north of the big water reservoir there (Cherokee St., maybe?). Anyone ever been?

Ryan

Bryant said:
Well I can tell you about 90 miles SW of Atlanta in the bi-city area of Phenix City Al./Columbus Ga. are 27 different barbeque restaurants. Don't get me wrong, I am sure very few of you would want to drive 90 miles out of the way for a plate of BBQ, but some of the world's finest can be found in those two cities and this was my chance to plug my hometown as well. :err:

Bryant

Hey Dude, I live in Columbus, GA. I didnlt realize there were other metalheads in this city :OMG:

Wow, more than one metalhead in Columbus... that is a surprise! ;) (Former P.C. resident myself.)

Yes, Bryant, I'm still alive... tho I wonder sometimes... :b Just been hiding in my hidey-hole.

As for Monterrey... Mike, sorry, but El Porton kicks their ass. Plus, their service has really gone donwhill since you lived in Roswell, judging from the couple of times I've been. And you definitely don't want to go to the one in Woodstock. As for Mexican in the Cols./PC area... isn't it El Reyes there on the 280 BP next to where the Po' Folks used to be? Anyway, they have really good food and great margaritas. Whenever I visit the folks and go out to eat, we usually go there.

However, all that said, I vote for ProgPower attendees taking over the Vortex in L5P... especially if anyone's going to be in town Wed. night. We can do the Vortex for dinner and hit the 9 Lives Saloon or something for after dinner.

Shaye

lady_space said:
Wow, more than one metalhead in Columbus... that is a surprise! ;) (Former P.C. resident myself.)

Yes, Bryant, I'm still alive... tho I wonder sometimes... :b Just been hiding in my hidey-hole.

Shaye

Uh-huh.... forgot all about your friend Bryant....... :yell: I was going to be nice to you the next time the Steelers play the Foulcats but now I'm gonna have to rub it in when Vick and co. gets pummeled by the mighty Blitzburgh !!! :D

Bryant