Amp/Guitar tone comparisons (5150, Marshall...)

nuclearass

Jan 2, 2006
Finland
www.dmthc.com
I've been meaning to do some gear comparisons for a long time just to hear the tonal differences of different gear that we have at our rehearsal room, so I finally got something done.

Didn't try to go for "the ultimate tone", so I just quickly dialed something and started changing some settings & guitars to hear how they differ from each other. Some of you might be interested, so I decided to post these here. Try to ignore my sloppy playing :) and don't take these too scientifically either. There's some drums & bass underneath from an old recording.

Chain: Gibson SG w/ duncan custom -> 5150 -> Mesa 4x12(oversized) -> sm57 -> Api A2D

1. I first had a bit muddy/dark tone, so I wondered if I should raise the treble or the presence in the amp. Here's the result:
more presence
more treble

Which one do you prefer?

2. Different elements (top). I tried to match the mic position as closely as possible, but It's naturally not going to exactly be same.
left element
right element

Which one sounds better to you?

3. Tried different guitars that happened to be there and that had the same tuning as my SG. All had different brand string sets, but I guess they were all 11-54 or 11-52 (daddario or ernie ball). I just came to the conclusion after this that the EMG81 is a bit bright pickup.
gibson_sgspecial
esp_mh1000
esp_sc200

4. Just for shits and giggles I tried my old Marshall Mosfet (with ts9):
Mosfet
Same mic position as "5150_leftelement". This I had to eq a bit more in the "mix".

5. Here's Marshall jcm800 with ts-9 which I recorded last week just for a quick test. Mic position should be about the same as in "5150_rightelement".
marshall_2010

Here's a couple of photos:
Photo1.jpg

Photo2.jpg

btw. Not all this is mine :erk: , but the guys in other bands are kind enough to let me borrow their gear for recording purposes. My plan is to get a reamp box and a new interface to replace my Mbox2 (which cannot be used for re-amping, because it doesn't have line outs, only spdif & monitor out) or get a DA converter, so I can start recording @ home & re-amping here.

-Antti

Thanks for posting these. I like comparison clips.

I really like all your tones :headbang:, but if I had to choose:

More Pres - More sizzle on top (I like good sizzle)
Right Element - less middy and more definition

I didn't listen to the guitar comparo.

That 800 sounded 10 times better than I thought it would.

Wouldn't mind hearing the Rev with the same setup and the 6505 with same settings as the 5150.

Nice Job.

Thanks for posting them. :kickass:

I want to swap my Mesa Trad Cab for the Oversize Cab. I like the sound better.

Thanks for listening GuitarHack! After listening the samples again with fresh ears this morning, I agree with you about the element & presence. I'm about to do more clips in the next few weeks with the other amps also. I'll be using the same setup throughout all the clips. It'll also be interesting for me to hear how different the new 6505 (stock) sounds different from my good ol' 5150. There's also another 5150 there, which I've already compared to my 5150, but that sounds very very close to my 5150. I think it actually might have the same tubes as mine ( EH/Svetlana ).

I really like the Mesa cab too. I've tried quite a lot of cabs, but now I think I've finally found the right cab for me.

I expected much worse from the Mosfet. Sounds useable. I had the Lead 100w stack back in the days and I hated it. Then again I was in my MT-2 days ...:puke::lol:
Liked the more pres the best.

Thanks for sharing, you get very nice sounds.

When I saw the pics I immediately thought about a 6505/5150 comparison as well. Looking forward to that!

Oh, and I totally want clips from that ENGL Fireball. :)

I've also noticed that when you're dealing with good high gain tube amps and the same guy is dialing the tones, the cab or mic position might actually (and I guess it usually does) make a bigger difference than changing the amp. I already have clips of the Fireball, but after listening to them I'm not that happy with the tone I dialed. I used a bit too less gain and somehow it didn't sound the way it should. IMO the Fireball is mainly meant for really high gain tones (that's where the amp really shines IMO), and by trying to get something out of it with less gain just doesn't sound right. It looses punch and becomes kinda cold & boring sounding. I'll try to do new clips next week.

Chain: Gibson SG w/ duncan custom -> 5150 -> Mesa 4x12(oversized) -> sm57 -> Api A2D

1. I first had a bit muddy/dark tone, so I wondered if I should raise the treble or the presence in the amp. Here's the result:
more presence
more treble

Which one do you prefer?

2. Different elements (top). I tried to match the mic position as closely as possible, but It's naturally not going to exactly be same.
left element
right element

Which one sounds better to you?

3. Tried different guitars that happened to be there and that had the same tuning as my SG. All had different brand string sets, but I guess they were all 11-54 or 11-52 (daddario or ernie ball). I just came to the conclusion after this that the EMG81 is a bit bright pickup.
gibson_sgspecial
esp_mh1000
esp_sc200

4. Just for shits and giggles I tried my old Marshall Mosfet (with ts9):
Mosfet
Same mic position as "5150_leftelement". This I had to eq a bit more in the "mix".

5. Here's Marshall jcm800 with ts-9 which I recorded last week just for a quick test. Mic position should be about the same as in "5150_rightelement".
marshall_2010

-Antti

1. I liked the track with more presence
2. I don't under stand what you mean by element. But I liked the left slightly more.
3. personally I reckon that the Gibson Special sounds the best, then the ESP SC200, then finally the ESP MH1000. The Gibson Special has more meat, while the ESP MH1000 sounds thinner, and the ESP SC200 is in between the two but closer to the Gibson Special.
4. I liked that Marshall Mosfet, a good tone slightly different from the 5150.
5. I personally didn't like the Marshall jcm800, it sounds brittle.

With "elements" I meant the speakers in the cab. The ones I recorded here were the top speakers, because I didn't like the recorded tone from the bottom speakers (probably due to reflections from the floor). The top speakers sound more balanced and "healthy" to me.

I also dig the marshall tones a lot. They have an aggressive mid range crunch that I can't get from the 5150. The dry mosfet sound wasn't certainly nothing to write home about, but I was positively surprised when I was able to make it sound better quite easily with some URS CSP eq. The other clips only have a HPF @ 70hz (6db/Oct) and a mild high boost (with a wide q) @ around 4k just to make the guitars fit better with the drum mix.

The jcm800 tone could be better though and I think I could pull off even better tones from it if I spend a little more time with it.

Can you post your exact settings for the 5150 and the Marshall Mosfet?

more presence
more treble

Can you post your exact settings for the 5150 and the Marshall Mosfet?
Sure!
Here are the 5150 Initial settings:
lead channel (No tubescreamer)
pregain:3.5
bass:6.5
mid:3
tre: about 3.2
res:6.5
postgain:2.5
pres: somewhere between 6.5 - 7

More treble clip:
tre: 6

More presence clip:
pres: somewhere between 8.5 - 9

I didn't write the Mosfet settings down, but I'll check them next time I'm at the rehearsal room.

i think you should do some impulses tbh:kickass:

your tones are awesome, I really dig the 5150 more treble tone that sounds awesome :)

I'd be really interested to know about your drums/mix setup too cus i think the drums sound awesome aswell imho.:headbang:

i think you should do some impulses tbh:kickass:

your tones are awesome, I really dig the 5150 more treble tone that sounds awesome :)

I'd be really interested to know about your drums/mix setup too cus i think the drums sound awesome aswell imho.:headbang:

Yes! Impulses! :headbang: Make like 10 impulses with the same position but with tiny variations ;)