Anathema - Weather Systems

On the DVDs too? I've watched Where You There? several times.. now I need to rewatch.. never noticed.
I was referring to Were You There? and A Moment in Time. It's been ages since I watched them, but the memory that has remained is one of disappointment. That also has to do with me being disappionted with the A Natural Disaster album, of which several songs are featured on both dvd's.

Listened to the album 4 times through at this point, and I am really enjoying it. There is no denying the emotion within their music. It is truly beautiful and powerful.

There were a few tunes on the last LP I didn't care for, but I like everything on this one. Favorite songs: Untouchable part 1, the Beginning and the End, and Internal Landscapes. The most interesting song: easily The Storm Before the Calm, some very interesting atmospheres from dark to light, as well as the most unique song structure on the album.

Overall positives: The vocals from Vinny and Lee. Excellent harmonies, unfettered emotion, consistently good melodies. And like the music itself, the vocalists still somehow manage to convey an equal mix of melancholy and hope, something I have always loved about this band since I first heard them in 1993. An excellent job in building up the songs to a crescendo throughout. Nice lyrics, being consistently negative is not my cup of tea. I also love the spoken word sections on Internal Landscapes. Most of us are scared shitless of death, and when I hear stories that are consistently the same (positive) like the person speaking on the LP, it makes me a little less scared. I find the entire topic fascinating.

Negatives: Great guitar solo when Danny decides to do one, but he is so good and there is only one on the entire album! Too many of the songs follow the format of building up a single riff or melody, and although they are very good at it, more variety in the song strucures on a couple more of the tracks would have helped. I also think a few more uptempo parts could have brought a bit more energy to the album. My favorite Anathema LP is still alternative 4 for now.

That being said, there are so many moments of ethereal, haunting beauty that dig into my heart and pull me in that my complaints are minor. I would give the album an 8.5 out of 10, but that may change with additional listens.

I agree on the whole picture with the vocals and the music. It kinda grew on me listen 4 and 5, I really like Untouchables Pt. 1 and 2 and The Beginning and The End now. Musically it's just missing some dynamics. Needs a Summernight Horizon, Panic or a The Simple Mistake ending.

It took a little bit for it to grow on me as well. Favorite track is either untouchable part 1 or internal landscape.

I like the album. The thing like messin around single riff was chosen by Anathema as the way of makin' songs. It does not mean they can write music no more, they just do it this way. May be one day they will get bored and will begin to write something different=)

The only thing i wanna mention - that phrase "It is fekkin insane"... especially in that moment of song and that voice... it is fekkin ridiculous
facepalm2.gif