Anathema - Weather Systems

There's a perfectly good reason why you won't find uplifting in the dictionary under synonyms for anathema. What I'm really trying to say is, more "Beginning and the End" and less WHBWH b-side, please.

Like stefan said, shes icing on the cake for the calmer songs. I agree shes a fantastic singer. But more Lee means less power and fewer tracks like The Beginning and the End.

On another note... Lees version of Everwake is not even close to the original with Ruth Wilson.

That's not Lee, that's Anneke van Giersbergen. If you mean the version on Falling Deeper.

Oh, my bad!

There's a perfectly good reason why you won't find uplifting in the dictionary under synonyms for anathema. What I'm really trying to say is, more "Beginning and the End" and less WHBWH b-side, please.

Indeed, sadly Beginning and the End is probably the only track in that style, Im afraid the rest will be kind of meh and even boring, just like WHBWH.

Untouchable, Part 1 is not very good imo.
I wish they would add more twists to their songs again.
Nowdays I feel like 95% or their songs has one riff and they just add new layers every 30 secs and then its finished, gets boring really fast.

I got through the album once. I'm not really sure about it, it might be a grower. There's a distinct lack of heavier guitar chords on the album with a lot of mellow chords or open strings. I actually like Lee's vocals, and on here she gets a chance to sing solo but unfortunately on the songs where she sang predominantly, I didn't care for the music much..there are a couple of "darker" songs but there's a lot of that kind of "life is great" vibe (and lyrics) running through the songs that kind of gets on my nerves after a while. It's almost hard to believe this is the same band who made songs named Suicide Veil, Crestfallen and Sleep in Sanity. Overall, it sounds very personal and deep and the production and dynamics are really nice, the vocals are done well but the songwriting seemed a bit flat on about half of the tracks - like a said it might be a grower.

I'm on my second listen right now. The first listen I didn't really care for the first 5 songs and like the second half better. The Beginning and the End and The Lost Child were probably the best songs. On this second listen, I'm liking the album a little bit better, but this is no where near WHBWH so far. But like others have said, this is probably a grower.

Anathema is one of those bands who I really want to like. They have their moments where I think "wow this is nice!", but there is definitely something missing that prevents me from being able to love them even a quarter as much as Katatonia. I don't know if it's the singer's voice when he gets up into the higher range (I'm not a fan of higher male vocals) or the lack of "crunch" in most of the guitars I've heard so far from them (whatever it is, it's the same problem I have with the band Porcupine Tree). It's like they lack replay value for me. It's nice to give them a listen every now and then but nothing I care to listen to over and over again. Whereas it seems impossible to get bored with Katatonia. It's frustrating....I need to find a new band who can impress me even half as much as Katatonia does (or Tool) just so I can have something else to listen to while waiting for their new albums, and I just can't find it. I need all-melodic, soothing yet commanding vocals against dark, heavy, atmospheric music that is not overly saturated with squealing guitar leads (they are great in small doses but I concentrate more on the rhythm honestly).

At any rate, I have been listening to the song "The Beginning And The End" and it's definitely one of the better Anathema songs I have heard, but from what I have heard so far of the rest of the album is not impressing me a whole lot. Am I just always checking out the wrong Anathema songs? What are some heavier Anathema songs with that have all-melodic vocals in them that I could check out?

<Am I just always checking out the wrong Anathema songs? What are some heavier Anathema songs with that have all-melodic vocals in them that I could check out?>

How much Anathema have you listened to? They have a rich and varied history. Aside from their early doom/death material, I would say their best stuff was on the albums Eternity, Alternative 4 and Judgement.

I really like the whole thing instantly of the first time play through.

even most of the people say Untouchable Part 1 was very Popish sounding track and hates it but I do really like it. I like the whole music slowly building up
and the complex vocal arrangements and trade off(my guess it was involved by Steven Wilson as this is his trademark)

and I noticed most of the songs are based on ONE riff and keep the song going on by adding , subtracting some other elements to make them sound interesting.
I really like this approach .
And I liked they vastly introduce those Orchestral arrangements, with those complex layer of sounds, made the songs sound really really epic.

The production on the album also excellent as well, a little bit too bass and sub-bass heavy to my taste but I still love it.

my favorite tracks by far are Untouchable I, II/The Beginning and The End/ The Storm Before The Calm/Sunlight

My favorites from Anathema were Eternity, Alternative 4 and Judgement and now adding Weather System to the list.

Honestly I never liked WHBWH(notice I am a HUGE Anathema fanboy , just as much as I love Katatonia, maybe even a tad more)
WHBWH always the weakest album from Anathema to me.
A fine day to exist also a weaker album to me but much better than WHBW , at least A Fine Day to Exit has some Amazing songs along with some worst songs from Anathema.

The new positive direction supposedly highly inspired, yet I just don't hear it personally. Then again I have a hard time finding the emotion in most of their material and quite the contrary to popular opinion, I find AFDtE as a whole has by far their strongest hooks (which is a focal for a band like this). Although I have to say The Beginning and the End has turned out to be my favorite song of theirs yet. The last track "Internal Landscapes", is the only other song that did anything for me, even though they could have done a bit more with it.

Anathema is one of those bands who I really want to like. They have their moments where I think "wow this is nice!", but there is definitely something missing that prevents me from being able to love them even a quarter as much as Katatonia. I don't know if it's the singer's voice when he gets up into the higher range (I'm not a fan of higher male vocals) or the lack of "crunch" in most of the guitars I've heard so far from them (whatever it is, it's the same problem I have with the band Porcupine Tree). It's like they lack replay value for me. It's nice to give them a listen every now and then but nothing I care to listen to over and over again. Whereas it seems impossible to get bored with Katatonia. It's frustrating....I need to find a new band who can impress me even half as much as Katatonia does (or Tool) just so I can have something else to listen to while waiting for their new albums, and I just can't find it. I need all-melodic, soothing yet commanding vocals against dark, heavy, atmospheric music that is not overly saturated with squealing guitar leads (they are great in small doses but I concentrate more on the rhythm honestly).

At any rate, I have been listening to the song "The Beginning And The End" and it's definitely one of the better Anathema songs I have heard, but from what I have heard so far of the rest of the album is not impressing me a whole lot. Am I just always checking out the wrong Anathema songs? What are some heavier Anathema songs with that have all-melodic vocals in them that I could check out?

imo, overrated, boring band, I don't see the comparison between them and katatonia, i've listened to several of their albums several times through and can't find anything except some keyboard parts and ambient guitar parts that I like,....harsh I know, but just don't like the band

and if like INSIDE THE FALL said is true, that is if most Anathema fans find that "Eternity" is one of their best albums, then I don't see why I would bother with trying to get into this band anymore. I listened to Eternity just yesterday and found myself clicking next over and over to try and find something in that album that I liked

:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
^Musically, Dir En Grey isn't bad. I mainly just wished that the vocals were in English. Although that section at 2:32 was too chaotic/insane sounding for my tastes. The closest male fronted bands I am aware of who I can somewhat compare to Katatonia are Monokromia and Novembre, though neither have nearly as great a vocalist as Katatonia does. I usually have to go to female fronted bands (like Autumn, Trees Of Eternity or older Lacuna Coil) to get bands where the vocals typically match the music in level of talent and appeal. Nonetheless, thanks for the suggestion!

I'm glad I am not entirely alone on my opinion of Anathema, Heliotropic_Rose. I mean I do like some Anathema tracks, don't get me wrong. But they are always one of the first bands that people who love Katatonia recommend to me and I just can't hear what they must hear. They lack the "power" behind the music with great vocals that I am looking for. With as divine as bands like Katatonia and Tool/A Perfect Circle are, I would think that there would be thousands of copycat bands out there who could compare even halfway to those three, but so far I am not finding them. :confused: And 9 times out of 10, it's the vocalists who are the ones who can't deliver and ruin it for me (which is why I normally have to go to the more simplistic "mainstream" bands to get the good male vocalists I enjoy hearing).

@ insidethefall, I don't remember full album titles. I'd just go to Youtube and type in Anathema and watch whatever featured videos popped up, one after another until I'd get bored. I will try to look specifically for material for those albums you listed just to see if any of songs from them are ones I've heard yet or not.